The Crown - Netflix Elizabeth II Drama

She obviously married JUAN PERON in a show of solidarity for MADONNA not being nominated for an Oscar.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU YOUNG GAYS?

Diana's disguise in episode 7:

ECv6EwDU4AAtk4N.jpg

Finished this last night. It felt like a really one-sided hatchet job on Diana to be honest. For all her obvious flaws, the general consensus seems to have been that she was at least witty, warm and empathetic. As played by Debicki she just came off as a relentlessly self-pitying flake.

Overall it was comfortably the worst season for me, in large part due to the consistently terrible dialogue. They really need to trust their audience more, especially now that they've reached an era that we know enough about that we don't need to constantly have the exact context of every event clunkily spelled out for us.

It is very funny that John Major keeps turning up to offer marriage counselling and divorce mediation. At least Margaret Thatcher got to have some political bits. They could replace Major with a nameless royal aide and it'd make no difference to the plot whatsoever.

Reactions: VoR
It is very funny that John Major keeps turning up to offer marriage counselling and divorce mediation. At least Margaret Thatcher got to have some political bits. They could replace Major with a nameless royal aide and it'd make no difference to the plot whatsoever.
He was too busy slopping it up Edwina :(

No Edwina, another total missed opportunity. @GNL is absolutely right. There's virtually no examination of John Major as a politician, beyond some very heavy handed 'History will judge you more kindly than you're being judged right now' from the Queen at the very end.

He's basically there to listen to The Queen and Charles and nod along, and not much more.

I watched episodes 1 and 2. Have been present for episodes 3-5 in the living room while housemate is watching them but have fallen asleep for each one.

taking my time with this. the Mohamed Al-Fayed ep was surprisingly very good, but 4 (the Margaret episode) was easily the best so far. I thought it was a vintage hour of the Crown actually. I even got emotional when Peter Townsend said goodbye to Margot.

Imelda Staunton has the voice nailed but she's definitely a little distant, or has less ability to emote with her eyes alone than Olivia and Claire did. still quite good though.

Why would Thatcher be in it? Was she driving the Uno?

Season 5 was genuinely terrible. Unsure if I can be bothered but I suppose I should see it through.

I would not be surprised if they go full alternate history at this point and kill Charles instead, and/or have Diana become prime minister - which would make for a delicious audience with the Queen :disco:

"The Crown" on Netflix is one of my favorite TV shows now. I like historical events and watching royal life. With my Firestick https://www.firestickhow.com/best-vpns-for-kodi.html, I've had the convenience of streaming every captivating episode. The attention to detail, the outstanding performances, and the rich storytelling make it a must-watch for history buffs and drama enthusiasts alike.

Last edited:
I think this looks incredible and I cannot wait

are the two parts five episodes each? maybe that means Diana survives at least half of them. I just know Elizabeth Debicki is gonna eat this season... and all the outrage about fictional conversations imagined for the show will drive mad posh Tories in the media sick. :disco:

I can't wait too but more because it looks quite SPECTACULARLY AWFUL

I can't wait too but more because it looks quite SPECTACULARLY AWFUL

LIKEWISE!

The last series was BAD ENOUGH, but this one looks PHENOMENALLY bad. I'm going STRAIGHT IN tonight. :disco:

The reviews being terrible were a foregone conclusion, though. The last series being derided whilst still getting fairly good reviews meant they'd have to make up for it now.

Also, everyone watch the Naomi Watts Diana movie- absolutely one of the most appalling things I've ever seen. It's HILARIOUS!

I’ll just wait for the clips on tiktok but the guardian review is :D

And yet the worst is still to come: after her death, Ghost Diana appears to Prince Charles and then to the Queen as a kind of ministering angel, illuminating for them the way and the light and the best way of tending to the mood of the people, to whose every individual heart she has always had a direct hotline. She thanks Charles “for being so raw, broken and handsome” in the hospital when he saw her body. “I’ll take that with me,” she adds.

I can't WAIT.

Were the early seasons well received critically? I definitely felt as though I was watching something high brow when I first started.

I think the earlier seasons were definitely more high brow or at least that’s the impression I got. It started to lose prestige with every cast change.

It might be that you can’t do a good Diana story when it’s relatively still too close to her death.

Reactions: GNL
Two episodes in and firstly, why are they all ridiculously short…but then also, fuck me, they’re dragging it out.

Was DI really only with Dodi for about SIX WEEKS before they carked it?

The dialogue is absolutely appalling- The Guardian article is right. No human being speaks like that, not even the royals. And the signposting is appalling.

I’M HOOKED.

I've watched the initial four eps and it IS absolute tat now, but watchable enough. For me this show has been too focused on Diana in an unwelcome way since the start of s5 (I loved the mix in the Emma Corrin season) so I'm looking forward to the next six eps being more business as usual in their scope. I was SO BORED of yachts by the third ep of this run; I want the wider royals and UK socio-political history. The Spice Girls were out at this point ffs

And I note they omitted to show that it was actually the Queen and Prince Philip who had Diana killed. Cowards.

On a similar 'death means they can't sue us' note, I wonder if they'd have shown Mohamed Al Fayed tipping off the initial paparazzi photographer about Diana and Dodi if Al Fayed hadn't carked it. I'm guessing yes, considering he only died three months ago, but it feels like quite a big claim unless they've got firmer evidence which isn't on google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom