The Crown - Netflix Elizabeth II Drama

fuck. this new cast looks so good. finally something worth keeping my Netflix subscription for!

Just watched the first episode. My God, the dialogue! Absolutely abysmal.

Hard to tell yet how the performances are stacking up, because all anybody did was stiffly spout the most insanely heavy handed exposition at each other as though they were reading from a text book. Hope it settles down a bit...

Initially I thought Johnny was too young to play John Major but he's 3 years older than Major was in 1991! He is kind of hot though.

Elizabeth Debicki is brilliant, she's got Diana's mannerisms down to a tee.

Just watched the first episode. My God, the dialogue! Absolutely abysmal.

Hard to tell yet how the performances are stacking up, because all anybody did was stiffly spout the most insanely heavy handed exposition at each other as though they were reading from a text book. Hope it settles down a bit...

I just said exactly the same after just watching the first episode. Absolutely appalling! I LOLd at least twice!

I’m not getting Imelda at all yet, though I have warmed to Johnny Lee Miller. Wonder if they’ll let old Norma have a full sentence :D

Plus, the jump in age between series seems ridiculously dramatic for everyone except Diana, who just looks the same.

The dialogue is really appalling, the conversation in the 4th episode between Andrew and the Queen is so written from a place of hindsight :D

Also the Queen Mother is horribly miscast and only looks 10 years older than the Queen, when in fact she must have been in her nineties in 1992? Granted, I realise there aren't a lot of working actresses in their nineties.

I watched the first episode last night and it was ROTTEN. Staunton was RUBBISH, Dominic West was RUBBISH, the Queen Mutter was RUBBISH, Philip was RUBBISH, the dialogue was RUBBISH, the plotting was RUBBISH.

I'm minded not to bother with the rest.

Is there anything you liked? Did you like the last series? :D

I've watched all four and quite enjoyed them actually!

It has been diminishing returns in the Colman era though, and I'm not really interested anymore, so there is that too :D

I've watched all four and quite enjoyed them actually!

It has been diminishing returns in the Colman era though, and I'm not really interested anymore, so there is that too :D
I really should properly catch up. I gave up mid S1 because I just found it very dull and couldn’t hack more Churchill fodder, but binged S4 and enjoyed it because I wanted to watch stuff from my lifetime only.

I really should properly catch up. I gave up mid S1 because I just found it very dull and couldn’t hack more Churchill fodder, but binged S4 and enjoyed it because I wanted to watch stuff from my lifetime only.

Claire Foy was so good in the early seasons which is really what made it quite special. Plus I preferred the years where I didn't know the history (much), and am finding the living memory stuff much less interesting.

Three episodes in- it’s gone off a cliff. Some of the acting is APPALLING, who the fuck thought we needed a whole episode devoted to Mohammed al Fayed and the most interesting thing they can pull out of Prince Philip so far is a love of carriage racing?

Staunton is rubbish so far- she hasn’t really been given anything to do- and lots of the others are just caricatures.

I’ll still watch the series through- it remains entertaining- but the gripping drama of previous seasons is gone.

Still not very happy with the change of actors but I think am getting used to it. Regarding episode 6
was the Queenie aware all along that her family abandoned the Romanovs to die? Cause talking to Philip it's like she didn't know

Three episodes in- it’s gone off a cliff. Some of the acting is APPALLING, who the fuck thought we needed a whole episode devoted to Mohammed al Fayed and the most interesting thing they can pull out of Prince Philip so far is a love of carriage racing?

Staunton is rubbish so far- she hasn’t really been given anything to do- and lots of the others are just caricatures.

I’ll still watch the series through- it remains entertaining- but the gripping drama of previous seasons is gone.

Are you going off it because you know she dies at the end now?

Why have I only just clocked that this is John Major!?

1668245898941.png

I've only seen ep 1 so far and I am sorry but John Major is just too stacked, too buff. There's a bit where the camera briefly follows him from behind and I'm sorry to type this but despite the baggy grey suit it's quite clear John Major has an amazing arse and THAT IS NOT RIGHT. I should not want to tap John Major.

Is this how straight men / lesbians felt with Gillian Anderson as Thatcher?

Which Tory PM would you most want to bang? is crying out for a thread in the history forum.

BONAR BY NAME, BONAR BY NATURE is my answer.

A. Bonar Law LCCN2014715818 (cropped).jpg

episode one started off a bit dodgy but I was loving it by the end. sexy John Major is such a gag and Elizabeth Debicki is the perfect Diana.

it does feel less essential this time, but maybe it's got to the point of the history being recent enough that there's less to reveal by recreating it. I'm still enjoying!

I've now watched the whole season and, while I agree it's probs the weakest season so far, I was still a big fan.

The Romanov and Diana-heavy eps were my favourites. I thought all the new cast were great, except for Jonathan Pryce who doesn't even TRY to do any sort of Prince Phillip voice? Lazy fucker just turns up and does it as himself, as if the Queen were married to Jonathan Pryce throughout the 90s.

Johnny Lee Miller also didn't seem to be trying much either. Oh and little Marcia Warren at no point felt like the Queen Mum, but I love her so in my head just saw her as the friend from ITV shitcom Vicious popping in for a cameo.

I look forward to next year's final run, and really hope they finally go deep on Prince Andrew being (ALLEGEDLY) a sweaty nonce. At this stage I'm bored of him popping up for brief cameos without being subject to a full character assassination :disco:

Last edited:
Watching this now, but I can't help but wonder, why does Diana, the largest royal, not simply eat the others?

Which Tory PM would you most want to bang? is crying out for a thread in the history forum.

BONAR BY NAME, BONAR BY NATURE is my answer.

View attachment 13979

Cancer was a real Bonar killer

Btw looking on his wiki to set up that shit joke, I found this
the name comes from a remark by (Lord) Asquith at Bonar Law's funeral, that they were burying the Unknown Prime Minister next to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Who makes a comment like that at a funeral? :D what a cunt

I didn't have the Queen eying up a stinky minky in the first episode on my bingo card, but work

Just watched the first episode. I just about choked and died when I heard Mariah.

The true QUEEN of ROYALTIES :disco:

Reactions: GNL
Also, Prince Philip is played by another Game of Thrones religious zealot. But Jonathan Pryce does NOT suit this role for me. He seems way too mechanical.

So far it seems a bit more...corny than the other seasons. It too melodramatic.

Last edited:
I thought all the new cast were great, except for Jonathan Pryce who doesn't even TRY to do any sort of Prince Phillip voice? Lazy fucker just turns up and does it as himself, as if the Queen were married to Jonathan Pryce throughout the 90s.
GAGGING. this was my first thought too. "oh, the Queen married the High Sparrow from Game of Thrones but made him take a shower first".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom