The Last of Us (HBO Adaptation)

View attachment 15832
This was my favorite book as a kid and I still have my copy. I love it’s use in this

I have this somewhere too, but it has a different cover - I assume it is an older version. I got it when I was at uni from a second hand shop in the old Elephant & Castle shopping centre (RIP).

This is the one:

6822676-L.jpg

Early episode 5 was excellent.

Seeing Melanie Lynskey's character clickered to death was very satisfying.

All got a bit sadder after that though :(

It would be a change up if one of the characters they come into contact with just went their own way, rather than being killed off.

Starting episode 3. It's rather so-so so far. The fungi-frenchie was rather disquieting though. And yes, some of the landscape shots have been wonderful.

I’m loving this show a lot, it’s so bittersweet and exciting. The two ”twists” in the latest episode were expected but still made me jump/gasp when they occured.

Yes agree the twists were not surprising, but the show does a very good job of making you care about these transitory characters that cross their path.

I'm on episode 3. Up to the gays squabbling outside in their made up world (oh bless them, I love the make believe lunacy). I don't get how the girl who died via the, oh I don't know, place that she blew up, is there though.

That was Bill's plan, just to go out and shoot? That bit wasn't believable to me. Oh no, poor Frank is in a chair.

I’m loving this show a lot, it’s so bittersweet and exciting. The two ”twists” in the latest episode were expected but still made me jump/gasp when they occured.

What twists? (having played the game I’m not sure what they were :D)

I thought episode 5 was bloody fantastic, ep 4 seemed a bit getting from A to B without much actually happening but 5 had it all.

Joel shooting the sniper from the house was one of my favourite bits of the game and it was done so so well here on terrific scale and budget. Heart pounding stuff.

The interaction between Ellie and Sam was really nice, wasn’t sure Ellie had a heart tbh but she showed it here in buckets. Sam turning was quite shocking still and the aftermath with absolute fear on Joel’s face at what was going to happen Ellie was really gripping and I was still massively invested despite knowing all the beats.

Also wasn’t sure of Kathleen last week (a bit too “nice” maybe) but totally worked here this week.

Ok now I fancy him.

Up to speed with the episodes. I can't believe I have to wait a whole week for an episode now

Omg it’s Tara from True Blood (which I’m currently watching and have reached S4 :bruised: ) :disco:

As for the rest of the episode; it’s still intense and fucking bleak, but I’m really enjoying it.

The whole drama about leaving her felt a bit unnecessary as it lead to nothing but I guess they had to fill the episode with something (or maybe it was in the game).

I watched the first four and enjoyed them, but have abandoned it now. I've played the games so know where it's going, and I find Ellie far too annoying to spend time with :D

Not sure about them skipping through the scene of them trying to get out the university when Joel had been stabbed as in the game that was one of the most memorable bits for me - I was absolutely devastated by it all.

Maybe it wouldn’t have played out well as a bit of TV but was the point where Ellie really needed Joel to survive for more reasons than just saving the world.

I really liked this latest episode. The chemistry between the 2 leads is amazing and I love how balanced they both are. Ellie started a bit bratty but she’s a much more rounded character.

A quite beautiful episode I thought - visually it looked stunning in the mall and I still got those happy vibes when you see real brands in video games. Bella Ramsay was so so good - every lingering stare she gave Riley I felt myself when you just want somebody so so bad.

They didn’t show it but I guess Ellie had to kill Riley as she slowly turned and was the person Ellie had killed when she told Joel it wasn’t the first she’d killed someone 😭 I’m glad they didn’t show it and I’m glad she came back for Joel. I get worried every time they’re just going to kill hill off for the shock value :D

I'm up to what I think is the latest episode with the cabbage patch getting a flashback. Couldn't get through it in one go. This show is quite uneven, but I think overall it's been worth it. Nice to see True Blood Tara again.

Also thought it was cute that Rue’s sister from Euphoria got to play a role that was a bit Rue too.

I thought this was a bit of a cliche with the preacher stuff but it was still brilliantly performed.

So I’m into this and I’m up to date, but I will say apart from episodes 1 and 3 I don’t get the fuss. It’s on par with Walking Dead for me.

The world feels richer and more real, that’s for sure. I enjoy all the little cinematic nuances with a bigger budget that make it stand out. But the downside of focusing on two characters is that all the supporting cast are two dimensional. TWD used to be accused of repeating the cycle of the main cast entering an established camp, things going ugly and moving on, but In TLOU it’s happening in a single episode. Im just starting to get into the atmosphere of a place and it’s done. I get that it’s probably sort of following an existing plot but it’s too fast

I thought the zombie attack with Sam and his brother was very contrived. And I thought the mall episode was SO boring

Aside from that critique I’m really enjoying it :D I just think it has some flaws that don’t matter so much now but will matter over 4 seasons

I can’t see how the supporting characters are 2 dimensional, yes they have 1 to 2 episode arcs but they’re all given so much depth and background. I think that’s what makes it special, it’s a lot more character driven than it is about action.

This latest episode, episode 8, is the first time I felt a bit bored with this show, but the last couple of minutes made up for it.

I don’t find the main supporting characters two dimensional at all but I get that this will become as tedious as The Walking Dead if it will continue the same pattern. I would actually have preferred it ending after one season.

The final almost felt criminally short, yet almost perfect.

🦒

Didn’t like Joel’s decision in the game and still don’t like it. I think knowing what was coming made the conversation at the giraffes much more profound that it “can’t be for nothing” and I just felt for Ellie so much. Joel’s rampage was wonderfully done I thought - I find the game (and all games mostly) trivialise the human cost of your kills as you’re playing for a reward (a new cut scene or level) but that wasn’t the case here. Joel just isn’t a hero at all which I kinda love.

Really enjoyed the whole series (clearly) and thinking back to previous episodes it has really been a rollercoaster. Not sure how I would feel if I hadn’t played the game as I could fill in the gaps and would find the hopping forward maybe a bit too much. But I can’t erase those memories now.

Bring on Season 2

That was gut wrenching. Also poetic having game Ellie play the mom.

I never saw what Joel does as heroic. It was always frustrating to me.

I never had issue with what happens to him because he deserves it and Ellie by the end is just a villain

I loved the giraffes and kind of hated what Joel did even though it was the expected and only possible direction the show would take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom