The MADAME Lounge

I'm loving Catherine Deneuve's look these days

gettyimages-686454296.jpg

There was one frightening moment when it looked as though she was heading down the BARDOT path.

Reactions: Zu
:disco: Luckily our Cath has a heart of love rather than hate, unlike vile old BRIDGET

You can always tell a classy maturing French actress from the hopelessly unclassy salopes because they know to cover their ARMS, unlike poor dear sad old Juliette who's coming across far too armily and like some confused hybrid of Sophie Ellis-Bextor and Fatima Whitbread

I don't have any strong feelings hither nor tither about Juliette but I DO like saying the word Binoche.

BINOCHE

I don't really know much about French actresses, but their MYSTIQUE, C'EST MAGNIFIQUE.

Catherine Deneuve looks like a game old bird though, is she the French equivalent to Julie Walters?

I've probably already mentioned this elsewhere but this is the REINE DE TOUT thread so I don't care: has anyone else seen 'Valley Of Love'? FUCKING STUNNING and such beautiful, sensitive performances from Madame and Monsieur. Here's the trailer and oh God the music - which I'd quite forgotten about, but which almost certainly contributed to the terrible state I got into at the end of the film - has just sent me down Weepy-Su-C-Strasse

I saw this yesterday, it's one of the latest films in Madame's OEUVRE ETERNELLE that I hadn't seen. It's all very subdued and CONTROVERSIALLY I think Depardieu has the better role (aided partly by his PORTLY PHYSIQUE), however Huppert has that wonderful scene where she breaks down reading her son's letter which has OSCAR CLIP written all over it. What a beast.

I also love that her first line in the film is "They call this soup?" :D NEVER CHANGE ISABELLE

• Love
I saw HAPPY END tonight and yes I must admit it was a bit SAME OLD for Haneke (I wish I hadn’t read so many reviews beforehand), but the last ten minutes had me HOWLING.

I saw Happy End today and I concur with what jiva said. I still think it was a solid 9. Also this film has the BEST KARAOKE SCENE I've seen IN MY LIFE :disco:

Oh really enjoyed this. The ending really was brilliant, hilarious

I would GIVE A KIDNEY just to be in what must be the FROSTIEST room when she gives this sort of :disco: answers to MUNDANE questions.

When were you happiest?
Fortunately, I’ve often been happy, which you wouldn’t necessarily guess from the roles I play. I’ve always been very happy to have my children with me, particularly on location. My daughter was in in London when I played Mary Stuart at the National Theatre.

What is your greatest fear?
To be locked in an elevator.

What is your earliest memory?

My mother announcing, “Today we are going to the swimming pool.” The pool was on a small island in the River Seine and you had to take a ferry. She was so happy: it’s one of the fondest memories I have of her.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
To have to die.

What would your super power be?
Being able to reverse Brexit. And to reconcile Mr Trump and Kim Jong-un, even if I had to play golf with them.

What do you most dislike about your appearance?
Nothing. :disco:

What is your favourite smell?
Fracas perfume by Robert Piguet. :disco: :disco:

If you could bring something extinct back to life, what would you choose?
The lost plays by Aeschylus and Sophocles.

What did you want to be when you were growing up?
I dreamed of being an artistic skater. And a nursery nurse.

What is top of your bucket list?
To discover all the big cities I have yet to visit: from Montevideo to Madras, from Tbilisi to Santiago de Chile. I also want to visit Bath.

What is your guiltiest pleasure?
Imagining myself as a sadistic and manipulative murderer, like something out of a book by Agatha Christie. :D

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
He knows, they know.

What was the best kiss of your life?
You dare ask this question of someone you meet for the first time?

Have you ever said ‘I love you’ and not meant it?

Yes, in the movies.

What keeps you awake at night?
A good film, a good book, a good script, a long phone call.

Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
Plato and all the gang from the banquet [in his Symposium] – Socrates, Phaedrus, Aristophanes. And then Flaubert, Marie Curie, Leonardo da Vinci and the Danish film director Carl Dreyer.

What is the closest you’ve come to death?
At each of my theatre premieres.

Where would you most like to be right now?
“The earthly paradise is where I am” (Voltaire).

NOUS NE SOMMES PAS DIGNES.

From Montevideo to Madras, Tbilisi to Santiago... oh! And Bath :D

You dare ask this question of someone you meet for the first time? :D!

Of course she turns the most light-hearted question about superpowers into a Brexit thing(!)

Am finally getting round to watching ‘Souvenir’ (the one where Madame works in the pâté factory :disco:) and it really is a silly load of old nonsense which I’m quite enjoying regardless. I mean as if that shabby little ditty would be chosen for ANY contest, and especially not when sung like THAT :side-eye:

*ends up crying anyway*

OH MY GOD A RELATIVELY HAPPY END! Did no-one get the memo? :shock:

I adored Souvenir. Madame does FEEL GOOD and proves us all wrong.

I’m dying to see her torment Chloe Grace Munster in her new one though. :disco:

It really WAS genuinely feel good, wasn’t it? My system is recovering from the shock :shock:

Also, I found myself humming her winning melody on the way to Tesco so OMG BEST SONG EVER

On a (possibly) final Souvenir note, I was highly amused by the notion that Madame’s original song came second to ABBA and also by someone snarling that THE SWEDES CHEATED :D

Actually I might watch it again right now :disco:

I see from a reread of this thread that I don’t appear to have mentioned going to that Happy End Q&A with Herr Haneke and TOBY JONES (unless I’ve not looked properly which is likely :tongueout:). Herr H was as amusingly flat as ever, pretended not to be able to speak English (:disco:) and certainly didn’t suffer stupid questions gladly À LA MADAME (:disco:) and Toby Jones came across like a right fucking arrogant bell end which was a bit of a cheek given he only had a bit part AT BEST and is hardly CONTINENTAL ARTHOUSE ROYALTY so he’s been dead to me ever since

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m loving how UNHINGED this is.

An absolutely legitimate response to that vile little pig interrupting your dinner.

I think that @jivafox and I should also make it our mission to crowbar “Bit like you - promises a lot then disappoints. I DESERVE BETTER!” *hurls glass* into as many social situations as possible until then in honour of MADAME :disco:

I struggle to understand her clearly when she's not speaking in French, can't she just play the role EN FRANÇAIS whilst everyone pretends it's English.

I struggle to understand her clearly when she's not speaking in French, can't she just play the role EN FRANÇAIS whilst everyone pretends it's English.

Oh me too: her pronunciation isn’t the clearest. Quite THICK ON THE ACCENT. I’ve traditionally always avoided her films EN ANGLAIS on principle but I’ll obviously make an exception if she’s going to be particularly demented :disco:

Last edited by a moderator:

:D I must say I was quite taken with his tache and birthmark :horny:

Also, Madame as transgressive as ever and paying absolutely NO attention to the age gap, not to mention Papa merrily tromboning out a THICK PÂTÉ

Just popping in to register my immense displeasure at there not being ONE SINGLE MADAME FILM in this year's London Film Festival (unless I didn't look properly). HOW DARE THEY, etc. I'm especially aggrieved in light of what they DID choose (e.g. Delépine and Kervern's 'I Feel Good' which I saw last night and was the most fucking boring and utterly merdique thing I've seen in quite some moons :argh:)

Anyway, here's a picture of Madame from earlier this year looking absolutely marvellous in ARMANI PRIVÉ

Isabelle-Huppert:-2018-BAFTA-Awards--01-662x904.jpg

QUEEN OF EVERYTHING :disco:

I was worried to see that she is going to be in The Romanoffs and that she had REDUCED herself to appearing on TELEVISION in some series that lasts fifty years and she would do less FILM.

But it appears she’s only in one episode. So panic over CARRY ON MADAME.

Madame is running the risk of achieving a certain unrecognisability these days thanks to Mrs Plastic (although it always seems to settle down after a while). This is kind of obviously her but not entirely so

shutterstock_9670259bp.jpg

At least we'll always know it's her when we see her putting broken glass in innocent children's coat pockets, turning tables over, being mental, etc. :disco::disco::disco:

Madame is running the risk of achieving a certain unrecognisability these days thanks to Mrs Plastic (although it always seems to settle down after a while). This is kind of obviously her but not entirely so
I don't think she's had any noticeable work done at all. She just has some extra lines, WHICH DOES HAPPEN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom