The Moopy Celebrity "Cancellation" Tracker

Sia CANCELLED for casting a non-autistic person (Maddie the girl from the Chandelier video) to play an autistic person in her new film, Music.

She's been tweeting in defense of the casting. This reply :o

I don’t think Sia is cancelled at all based on that decision (there could be more to it)

What’s next? Only people with blond hair can play blonde haired characters? It’s called acting for a reason. There can be a hundred reasons why someone was chosen for a role, Sia choosing her muse sounds like a pretty sound reason to me.

I don’t think Sia is cancelled at all based on that decision (there could be more to it)

What’s next? Only people with blond hair can play blonde haired characters? It’s called acting for a reason. There can be a hundred reasons why someone was chosen for a role, Sia choosing her muse sounds like a pretty sound reason to me.
I think casting someone who doesn't have a condition to play someone with a condition is a CHOICE and responding to an autistic actor that THAT reply is - at the very least - RUDE.

Well the response was certainly a choice yes!

I believe there’s a time and a place for casting. Having a cast full of white people in a show set in London or Manchester, yes that would be ridiculous. But actors are meant to portray different people. Daniel Day Lewis won an Oscar for playing a severely handicapped man. That was an acting performance. Have we moved to a stage now where only severely handicapped people can play severely handicapped roles?

the idea of defaulting to an autistic actor playing an autistic role is actually a bit offensive. It’s like saying they can only play autistic roles. It’s not a physical casting, I think there’s a difference (as someone with extensive acting experience but limited inclusivity experience, that’s just my opinion)

By the same token I am not one of those people that thinks only gay people should play gay roles - I find that equally as offensive for the same reasons

Um re reading that, noted Academy member funky does NOT have extensive acting experience, I just meant in relation to the other thing :D I did it at school/Uni etc but I’m obviously not a THESP

I'm of the opinion that ideally you wouldn't want to hire a neurotypical person, but there's bound to be instances where you can't find the right person, or even that the role is too demanding.

That said Sia's response has been plain rude and bratty.

the idea of defaulting to an autistic actor playing an autistic role is actually a bit offensive. It’s like saying they can only play autistic roles. It’s not a physical casting, I think there’s a difference (as someone with extensive acting experience but limited inclusivity experience, that’s just my opinion)
I FEEL LIKE WE’VE BEEN HERE BEFORE

I don’t have direct knowledge either but would imagine the reality for autistic actors is that they most likely just don’t get cast in ANYTHING so when a major role like this comes along, I can totally see why they would be frustrated by this casting

Also let’s face it, Maddie hardly had to endure a rigorous audition process no doubt, so it’s all just a bit :goodgrief:

Last edited:
I FEEL LIKE WE’VE BEEN HERE BEFORE

I don’t have direct knowledge either but would imagine the reality for autistic actors is that they most likely just don’t get cast in ANYTHING so when a major role like this comes along, I can totally see why they would be frustrated by this casting

Also let’s face it, Maddie hardly to endure a rigorous audition process no doubt, so it’s all just a bit :goodgrief:

Well not exactly, because obviously autism isn't a one size fits all condition - some people you wouldn't even know were autistic. Others can't function without help. We don't know the circumstances of this 'audition'. But self sufficient autistic people should be able to carve out careers without relying on autistic roles as a crutch. Severely autistic people might struggle with many roles, again not knowing what this role was. It's just such an odd position to take. If I was an actor, I wouldn't be campaigning for only gay people to get gay roles, because that's essentially me championing myself from getting any straight roles. Doesn't make any sense.

Openly gay actors don't get cast as straight characters anyway. It would be lovely for actors from marginalised communities to have a chance at the wide range of opportunities that their more privileged counterparts enjoy - in this case due to whosever muse they happen to be - but it's not a level playing field. Anyway, I'm no expert but I have been reading the reactions from people with direct experience of autism to this casting and to Sia's tweets and I agree with them that it's been very poorly handled.

We fundamentally disagree on this stuff and that's ok.

Oh I don't disagree that it's been poorly handled - I don't know about that enough to know. I'm just speaking broadly.

And I have to HUH? at the openly gay actors thing. I know there's not that many and that's a WHOLE OTHER problem, but Zachary Quinto and a few others who I can't be arsed remembering right now get straight roles all the time.

There are of course certain marginalised communities that are more marginalised than others and so yeah you can't apply the rule the same every way - some communities need more support than others in this. But I just feel like if Sia wanted to hire her regular muse to play a role then she is entitled to. She's not to blame for any wider issue with autistic actors not getting support. Is all.

Re the gay thing I had originally written "tend not to" so let's pretend it says that

Anyway popping out of this thread now until the next little scandal I find on twitter dot com

Rita Ora CANCELLED for celebrity* superspreader speakeasy.

* Well, some models and a TOWIE cast member.

Rita Ora is double cancelled as she held her lockdown party during a time she should have been self-isolststing a trip to Egypt.

Very naughty Rita! :kim:

She’s legit CRAZY religious. I suppose the only option now is Dame Angela Bassett as the Black Panther :disco:

It didn’t hurt Chris Pratt. I think it’s a good move that she deleted her social media (I’m sure Disney made her).

Looks like things aren't getting any better for Pratt

https://www.queerty.com/oh-look-chr...ng-extremists-hate-groups-homophobes-20201022

It all started earlier this week when actor Chris Pratt lost an online popularity poll and was declared the least favorite Chris in Hollywood.

This was followed by allegations that Pratt is a Trump supporter, which was followed by everyone being reminded that, oh yeah, he belongs to a super antigay church, too.

This was followed by Pratt’s Marvel co-stars Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr. rushing to his defense and insisting that no, he’s actually a really great guy, so stop judging him.

Among those Pratt follows on Twitter and Instagram are admitted gay basher Tucker Carlson, antigay political pundit Ben Shapiro, accused rapist Kevin Spacey, a ton of police and Blue Lives Matter activists, “religious freedom” fighter Rep. Dan Crenshaw, the antigay hate group Turning Points USA, the extreme rightwing podcast Prager U, and several members of the homophobic Duck Dynasty clan, just to name a few.

And this has followed by people digging into Pratt’s social media pages and discovering that, actually, no, he’s not a really great guy because he follows a ton of right wing extremists, homophobes, and other problematic people.

Pratt has not issued any comment on the controversy surrounding the problematic company he keeps online, but his wife, Katherine Schwarzenegger, the daughter of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver, did put out a statement accusing people of “meanness and bullying.”

“Is this really what we need?” Schwarzenegger said without any hint of irony. “There’s so much going on in the world and people are struggling in so many ways. Being mean is so yesterday.”

We agree. Being mean is so yesterday. As is hatred, discrimination, racism, homophobia, and straight white dudes being excused for their vile behavior.
Marvel has made Pratt's character bisexual :D:D (in the comics at least)

It's called One Mo' Chance, from about 2008. Not an excuse per se but I'd imagine she's rather more ENLIGHTENED these days, as are many of us probably, myself included.

She's a prime example of America's obsession with celebrity. They love to raise them up and then watch them crash and burn.

This bitch is about as cultured as a flat tire. She's a pig in a wig. Good for nothing but TV laughs. We knew this LONG before any transphobia

It's called One Mo' Chance, from about 2008. Not an excuse per se but I'd imagine she's rather more ENLIGHTENED these days, as are many of us probably, myself included.
Oh right! I assumed it was a new clip! I (somewhat) bequeath my shockedness. I also assume she realises she's pretty much one of those gaymeme celebs these days and if this comes to light she apologises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom