The Moopy Celebrity "Cancellation" Tracker

Isn't it how all these celeb fronted fundraisers work?

Why do people need to question EVERYTHING? We don’t know how much of their fortune they give to charity. In this case they have gave 10 million. Do we expect them to give ALL of their money to this cause? 😴

I don't actually have a position on it/care that much but it has gone down disastrously, and this seemed like the thread for it :)

I don't actually have a position on it/care that much but it has gone down disastrously, and this seemed like the thread for it :)

I highly doubt Oprah and Dwayne Johnson will be cancelled over this darling. :D

I highly doubt Oprah and Dwayne Johnson will be cancelled over this darling. :D
OK babe

Sarcastic Boy Meets World GIF

Why do people need to question EVERYTHING? We don’t know how much of their fortune they give to charity. In this case they have gave 10 million. Do we expect them to give ALL of their money to this cause? 😴

No.

I don't think they'd be questioned if it was just that.

Coupling it with a demand for everyone else to do the same is what's done it.

Whatever amount they think they'll get from the public, they could easily donate themselves in private. These Hollywood types are publicity first and charity second (if at all)

She gives me big Kanye West energy.

Although, all the bandwagon moralizing and psychoanalysis is getting equally tiring.

I was liking her when she was telling her weird stalker fans to fuck off.

This feels like something else

Cancel this stupid prick already. It wouldn't be that much of a LOSS and I don't even like Stranger Things anyway.

Walliams got a (presumably) huge settlement payout and an apology from the BGT producers 🥴

He mocks dying children who have cancer, refers to them as "baldies" and frequently refers to them as retarded. That's just a summary, it's pretty excruciating to watch.
I mean, fuck him, obviously but double fuck Netflix for putting it out. On Christmas Day? Wankers!

when did comedians think it was OK to stop telling jokes and start punching down? provocation of this nature is not comedy.

He just doesn’t have the skill to understand that he could make jokes like this if he had a point of view. He immediately goes to the ‘it’s just a joke’ well and positions himself as a victim. There’s no actual payoff that makes it okay to laugh at the words he uses, just punching down followed by ‘I’m good at this so that makes it okay’.

when did comedians think it was OK to stop telling jokes and start punching down? provocation of this nature is not comedy.
There's long been a school of comedy of this type, a mixture of that very boyish "who can be the most extreme" humour and basic shock tactics.

Frankie Boyle became a touchstone of this style. Although Boyle almost always had a valid point at the core of his material, he was very guilty of not seeing celebrities as actual people, rather as participants in a culture he hated. But he pivoted away from that, aimed him ire at the people who really deserved the opprobrium and created his best work - the brilliant New World Order series.

Gervais meanwhile has punched down in every single thing he has ever done and keeps punching lower and lower. As long as Netflix keep filming him and audiences keep showing up, he'll keep doing it.

I saddens me because Gervais has proven to be better than this, it's a shame he has to rely on this to get gigs. CANCEL!

I never thought he would go in this direction, I thought he was smarter than this. I do understand the need to give comedians the freedom to protect humour when it comes to people being overly precious, but then there’s the doubling down and being provocative for the sake of it. It’s not funny at all.

I saddens me because Gervais has proven to be better than this, it's a shame he has to rely on this to get gigs. CANCEL!
That's what upsets me about it. Because he has written excellent, nuanced comedy about the pain of loss, death and grief.

There are parallels for me here with people demanding the right to scream YOU CHEAP LOUSY FAGGOT every Christmas. Because I do (I think) agree that comedy can tackle no go topics. But it's about the manner in which you do it. And I wonder how Gervais thinks this will make someone who does have a child, with a terminal illness, at Christmas, feel.

And then Netflix taking the most controversial (presumably) parts of the special to whip up controversy and headlines a trade on grief is just fucked up. Perhaps outside of a ninety second clip there is a wider context and if so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt - but fuck Netflix even more if that's the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom