The Moopy Moderator Election 2023 - Nominations Thread

Continue Mod Election nominations until December 3rd?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the mods need to be able to have frank discussions in the mod forum, and that should have some degree of security and not be leaked to the subjects of the discussion.

So if a poster had said before that they don’t like you, and then you see that they have called you a “Karen” in a space where you couldn’t stick up for yourself you would find that OK?

In the interests of modmin transparency I'm happy to admit that I am the non-mod involved in the conversation with VoR. I was mod at that point in time (nine months ago) and my resignation didn't happen until two months after that discussion. @VoR and I had discussions by PM about it and as far as I'm concerned it's all over and done with. He has apologised several times about it and I told him I was happy for him to post my replies too but he chose to leave them out to save me any distress because I did get rather upset.

I’m just thankful that you were there to stand up for me, as otherwise would this have gone by not addressed? Probably.

Also, all this and not a direct apology to me. Sorry, that’s not OK.

I don’t want this to be a big thing. It is something that did need to be known though, as we are all posters here and I am a big believer in transparency. I am grateful that VoR has said he will take a back seat should any issues ever come up in the future.

So if a poster had said before that they don’t like you, and then you see that they have called you a “Karen” in a space where you couldn’t stick up for yourself you would find that OK?
Honestly, if I'd been in your shoes? I wouldn't LOVE it, I think that goes without saying, and that word was a loaded one that shouldn't have been used (as VoR knows and has apologised for). However I also think I'd appreciate the context the discussion was taking place in.

I feel like that one of the prices we pay for using a moderated forum is that the mods have a safe space to discuss issues when they come up, and that space is kept private and almost sacred because there will occasionally be discussion of sensitive topics as part of situations that may arise. There are sometimes going to be tough conversations had in there, sometimes with blunt language and disagreements, but that's part of why we elect mods in the first place - to be able to have those conversations. For what it's worth I agree that that situation shouldn't have played out the way it did, and I'm sorry that it caused you the upset that it did.

Honestly, if I'd been in your shoes? I wouldn't LOVE it, I think that goes without saying, and that word was a loaded one that shouldn't have been used (as VoR knows and has apologised for). However I also think I'd appreciate the context the discussion was taking place in.

I feel like that one of the prices we pay for using a moderated forum is that the mods have a safe space to discuss issues when they come up, and that space is kept private and almost sacred because there will occasionally be discussion of sensitive topics as part of situations that may arise. There are sometimes going to be tough conversations had in there, sometimes with blunt language and disagreements, but that's part of why we elect mods in the first place - to be able to have those conversations. For what it's worth I agree that that situation shouldn't have played out the way it did, and I'm sorry that it caused you the upset that it did.

In regards to the mod forum I agree that it should be a private space as with everyone’s input on everything it would become very messy. Admins and moderators are vital to Moopy, and overall I think they all do a stellar job with always room for improvement and more diversity. My gripe is getting talked about unfavourably by someone who has made no qualms about admitting the fact they dislike me. If Floppet turned a blind eye to it would it have ever been mentioned? Would VoR have ever thought anything was wrong with what he said, and would I have ever got an apology? He has apologised, yes. Not to me though. I thankyou for understanding that things shouldn’t have played out the way they did, and it is actually worth a lot when most mainly don’t comment, skim past or seem to see my point of view at all on here sometimes.

512D3A98-3DF4-4370-A0C6-CF56BE3ABF41.gif

Sad but not surprised.

Looking forward to all the people with very loud opinions tonight putting themselves forward instead.

Oh FUCK YOU. Don’t be so fucking high and mighty. Moopy is not a dictatorship ruled by its mods, we are allowed to have an opinion against your decisions and be as loud as we want about it. Bev’s timing was for maximum DRAMA and this post does nothing but stoke the fire. Absolute horseshit.

There you go- there’s my ONE STRIKE. Looking forward to my warning.

You're being HIGH AND MIGHTY YOURSELF by insisting that your opinion be implemented instead of the decision taken by an elected team!

You're being HIGH AND MIGHTY YOURSELF by insisting that your opinion be implemented instead of the decision taken by an elected team!

My opinion or basically every other person outside the mod team in that thread?

I think Bev is within her right to put herself forward or to opt not to. And I think you'd make a very good mod. But I think the conversation is worthwhile and I agree with Sheena in the sense that it minimises the worth of the discussion if the reaction is going to be 'Well, you try being a mod then'.

Last edited:
Though I do sympathise with @Kate in so much as these blow ups do seem exhausting. Even if the discussion in that other thread has mostly been constructive.

They are exhausting. Honestly wishing I'd ignored this like I've been ignoring Moopy the last few months already :eyes:

And every time it happens, we lose mods. Which means the situation is never going to improve.

I think it would really help if people didn't take the functional side of moopy so seriously. I'm not saying being a mod is easy, but I have been a mod before, and you have to be able to take criticism, you have to rise above it, and you don't have to overthink everything.

And also look at the bigger picture of "everyone thinks you're great" versus the micro issues of "I don't agree with that"

Surely that's more important in the grand scheme of things?

I really really want someone who can represent the FUN side of moopy. The mods are all great fun, but they're not always fun mods. If that makes sense. Yes we need rules, we need to protect people, but we also need to protect our unique culture.

I might run for MOOPY CULTURE SECRETARY :D :disco:

I didn't like that post to show that I also agree that you should ignore Moopy, it just didn't feel like a care emoji was sincere and I already used one on Bev's post.

I think the discussion is important and needs to be had, but I also think many of us tend to overanalyse and overthink things and that without undermining its importance, the issue isn't as insurmountable as it looks in the moment. You're all engaging with it and that's the best start.

That probably sounded 10x more patronising than a care emoji but hey.

I think it would really help if people didn't take the functional side of moopy so seriously. I'm not saying being a mod is easy, but I have been a mod before, and you have to be able to take criticism, you have to rise above it, and you don't have to overthink everything.

And also look at the bigger picture of "everyone thinks you're great" versus the micro issues of "I don't agree with that"

I really really want someone who can represent the FUN side of moopy. The mods are all great fun, but they're not always fun mods. If that makes sense. Yes we need rules, we need to protect people, but we also need to protect our unique culture.

I've been accused quite openly of bias tonight so the conversation has gone from 'we think the mods are great, but...' to 'ButterTart, you're a bit of a cunt, aren't you'? I'm not really feeling the love or the impetus to carry on with the job tonight, if I'm honest.

Wtf does "fun mod" entail though :D SPANKINGS for mildly naughty remarks?

I've been accused quite openly of bias tonight so the conversation has gone from 'we think the mods are great, but...' to 'ButterTart, you're a bit of a cunt, aren't you'? I'm not really feeling the love or the impetus to carry on with the job tonight, if I'm honest.

Well I don't agree with the accusation of bias but I also have the benefit of knowing you better than others involved in the situation.

This is what I mean about separating yourself from the invidual issue. Even if you WERE wrong in that situation, how does that belittle your overall contribution to moopy? I mean seriously!

I don't think that saying bias was involved is the same as saying you're a c*nt at all.

I do think there were biases on display on all ends in that conversation, again, implicity or explicity, from the mods and from the other posters. It's just a matter of reflecting on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom