The United Kingdom: The RISHI RICH Sunak ERA

I can’t get behind the paywall but this one is a bizarre story:

“A Tory MP is under investigation over allegations that he misused campaign funds and abused his position after making a late-night phone call saying he’d been locked up by “bad people” who were demanding thousands of pounds, The Times can reveal.

Mark Menzies, the Conservative MP for Fylde and a government trade envoy, rang an elderly local party volunteer at 3.15am in December saying he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death”. The sum, which rose to £6,500, was paid by his office manager from her personal bank account and subsequently reimbursed from campaign funds raised from donors.”

“A Tory MP is under investigation over allegations that he misused campaign funds and abused his position after making a late-night phone call saying he’d been locked up by “bad people” who were demanding thousands of pounds, The Times can reveal.

Mark Menzies, the Conservative MP for Fylde and a government trade envoy, rang an elderly local party volunteer at 3.15am in December saying he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death”. The sum, which rose to £6,500, was paid by his office manager from her personal bank account and subsequently
reimbursed from campaign funds raised from donors.”

Mark Menzies, the Conservative MP for Fylde and a government trade envoy, rang an elderly local party volunteer at 3.15am in December saying he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death”. The sum, which rose to £6,500, was paid by his office manager from her personal bank account and subsequently reimbursed from campaign funds raised from donors.”

Oh sorry I didn’t see this!

Screenshot_20240417-234528.png

What the fuck? :D

They're all such UTTER FREAKS

He isn't even one of the barely vetted Boris-era recruits who've been causing them so much trouble. He's had that job for fourteen years!

Imagine calling your 78 year old office manager at 3am from the meth orgy that got weird!

He had rung his 78-year-old former campaign manager, a woman who The Times is not naming, waking her from her sleep to ask her to hand over thousands of pounds from a bank account containing donations to the MP’s campaign.

She told Menzies that it was 3.15am and she couldn’t transfer any money without leaving the house.

Sorry but HAVE YOUR PHONE ON SILENT / DO NOT DISTURB you STUPID COW!

Currently listening to UCB and the presenter just said "let's take a moment to pray for the people affected by their health now being judged by private companies and not doctors" and then a brief criticism of things being put in the private sector

Imagine losing the GOD-FEARING vote!

They can't do anything with this so-called "policy" anyway. They're just serving notice of the third evil prong of their upcoming election campaign; the "economically inactive", a chilling, horrible phrase.

"Look, if we don't get these LAZY SLUGABEDS back to work, we'll have to sell the NHS!"
*a few thousand deaths later*
"We'll have to sell the NHS" anyway".

Absolute pricks, every single one of them.

He said something like, "10 years ago, 20% of people were deemed unable to work. Now it's 65%. It's not possible for the rate to have grown that quickly"

Except it IS when you've spent the last decade decimating the health service so that 11% of the country is sat on a fucking waiting list for YEARS.

They shouldn’t be going after people on disability but people who continuously get random sick notes to sign them off work for frivolous reasons.

Had one person at our office get a GP to sign himself off for months following the death of his grandmother. He said he wasn’t sleeping (I did the investigation notes and he said he got 5 hours sleep a night… but he had a new baby). For a man in his 40s to still HAVE a grandmother, and 5 hours sleep with a new baby is pretty damn good if you ask me. But a GP signing him off with grief related depression and insomnia.

These are the things GPs shouldn’t be able to do without any evidence at all, rather than going after people with genuine long term conditions.

They shouldn’t be going after people on disability but people who continuously get random sick notes to sign them off work for frivolous reasons.

Had one person at our office get a GP to sign himself off for months following the death of his grandmother. He said he wasn’t sleeping (I did the investigation notes and he said he got 5 hours sleep a night… but he had a new baby). For a man in his 40s to still HAVE a grandmother, and 5 hours sleep with a new baby is pretty damn good if you ask me. But a GP signing him off with grief related depression and insomnia.

These are the things GPs shouldn’t be able to do without any evidence at all, rather than going after people with genuine long term conditions.
What 'evidence' do you think a GP should have before agreeing to a sick note? Or who else should make the decision?

How do you know his grief related depression wasn't genuine?

What 'evidence' do you think a GP should have before agreeing to a sick note? Or who else should make the decision?

How do you know his grief related depression wasn't genuine?
I know because his dad has died THREE TIMES during the course of his employment with us. Before I had any managerial experience he even confessed to me years ago that he travels around France with his band during certain months, signs himself off sick and waits it out until the HR file has expired. He also has some dirt on a director who has given jobs to young girls in exchange for sexual favours, and has been nearly out the door on several occasions until said director puts a halt on it.

So. That’s how I know on that one :D

I know because his dad has died THREE TIMES during the course of his employment with us. Before I had any managerial experience he even confessed to me years ago that he travels around France with his band during certain months, signs himself off sick and waits it out until the HR file has expired. He also has some dirt on a director who has given jobs to young girls in exchange for sexual favours, and has been nearly out the door on several occasions until said director puts a halt on it.

So. That’s how I know on that one :D
It sounds like that's your employer's problem, not the DWP's. And utterly irrelevant to any potential benefit legislation.

Whether someone actually needs a sick note or not, the immense pressure on primary care will always result in an inefficient system regardless of what the rules are around who qualifies and how.

There's little capacity in many places for GPs to offer short-term follow-up appointments anymore. If someone has waited several weeks to get an appointment, the GP is unlikely to be able to say, "I'll sign you off for 7 days, come back and see me next week for a follow-up." Pretty much everything has to be done on a medium to long-term basis because there's no slack for the short term in the system. That includes referral to any additional services a patient might benefit from to support their wellbeing in the meantime, which will likely take months.

I have no doubt that some people ask for longer than they need because they know how hard it was to see a GP in the first place and don't want to go through the process again. Then there are cases where a short-term sick note probably would have sufficed had the individual been able to access a GP quickly, but the initial problem has now been exacerbated and is far worse than it ever needed to become because they've waited so long.

It sounds like that's your employer's problem, not the DWP's. And utterly irrelevant to any law regarding benefit.
It’s just that it happens all the bloody time. “Family related stress” is suddenly completely cured as soon as the statutory sick pay expires for public sector workers. The policies are in place for people undergoing serious treatment, but GP notes are magicked up every 2-3 weeks with no consultation.

“Family related stress” is suddenly completely cured as soon as the statutory sick pay expires for public sector workers.
I think that probably says more about the wretched provisions for statutory sick pay in this country rather than the legitimacy or otherwise of the illness. It’s possible, if not likely, that they simply can’t afford to stay off work without pay so come back whilst still sick, making things worse for both themselves and their employer.

GPs don't want to be the gatekeeper of someone getting benefit anyway. Years ago you had to get a sick note from your GP no matter how long you were off sick, regardless of the condition. Then years ago they changed it so the GP sick note was only needed until you had a DWP assessment. Those were originally by qualified GPs, then by dubiously qualified 'healthcare professionals', employed by private companies with targets to boot people off benefit. And it resulted in loads of people being booted off benefit, appealing, often with the support of their GP, the overwhelming majority winning their appeals, and a not insignificant number of people dying penniless while going through the appeal process.

That's certainly not what our policy says. Who decides if it's 'serious treatment' or not?
Just ANY legitimate treatment. I’ve certainly had my own disagreements with ridiculous managers who want people to make up their hours for going to pregnancy checkups and collecting their insulin etc. but “my 14 year old has a cold and has to stay home from school, sign me off sick too” is not a serious treatment. My colleague who had a daughter with a brain tumour who has fully recovered but does need to go for intermittent check-ups does come under that umbrella. Yet the former excuse is more common.

Just ANY legitimate treatment. I’ve certainly had my own disagreements with ridiculous managers who want people to make up their hours for going to pregnancy checkups and collecting their insulin etc. but “my 14 year old has a cold and has to stay home from school, sign me off sick too” is not a serious treatment. My colleague who had a daughter with a brain tumour who has fully recovered but does need to go for intermittent check-ups does come under that umbrella. Yet the former excuse is more common.
What is 'legitimate'?

How long are waiting lists, if it exists?

What is 'legitimate'?

How long are waiting lists, if it exists?
would be nice to know more specific details. The “family related stress” can be anything and it’s vague. People’s personal lives are none of our business, but one recently got signed off for that multiple times, until it was found that he couldn’t come to the office because his ex-wife worked in the building across the road, and she had a restraining order against him for beating her up.

Ellie, I think you'll be ideally unqualified for these new roles the government are going to have.

We shouldn't be using the extremes to punish the majority who are in need.

Your arguments @Ellie are no better than The Sun etc. al. banging on about SCROUNGERS
:D

Just want to point out that I’m actually very nice and patient in real life. Had one person off with depression for quite a while and I kept getting people in the team showing me his social media of him GOING TO THE GYM like it was some kind of breach, like he was expected to stay home in the dark the whole time. I had to tell them it was a good thing he was doing something to help his mental health and that they should mind their own business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom