The USA: Trump-Biden Transition - attempted coup + Trump IMPEACHED (AGAIN!)

I am worried that he’s going to pardon them on the last day

Absolutely! Strange that it still exists. I would have thought that it was only abused by Trump but I heard in a podcast I was listening to yesterday that also Nixon was pardoned.

Surely is time to get rid of the pardon. It spits in the face of the "no man is above the law" concept
I am not sure I agree, it can be used for good as well. Obama pardoned a lot of ludicrous drug convictions for example, and it acknowledges that the courts can get it wrong. With such a politicised court system, it might still be necessary.

I am not sure I agree, it can be used for good as well. Obama pardoned a lot of ludicrous drug convictions for example, and it acknowledges that the courts can get it wrong. With such a politicised court system, it might still be necessary.

I guess it's another case of "fine if used in the right hands". The whole system depends on there not being a tyrant in charge

So does the impeachment as it stands prevent Trump from running again/getting a presidential pension/etc or is that dependent on the Congress (?) voting in favour of it too?

The absolute pardon power seems out of kilter with the checks and balances approach taken everywhere else in the Constitution.

Requiring the approval of the VP, or allowing the senate to veto within 30 days with a two-thirds vote would be sensible safeguards.

So does the impeachment as it stands prevent Trump from running again/getting a presidential pension/etc or is that dependent on the Congress (?) voting in favour of it too?
It’s all dependent on a Senate conviction.

The Shaman fella has publicly requested a pardon now too, via his lawyer I think

talk about making a mockery of the judicial system (again)

It does put Trump in a bind though. Does he stoop lower and prove the agenda he’s being accused of by pardoning some of them, or does he ignore their pleas and piss off some of his hardcore base? He’s created his monster, but now it’s off its leash.

As galling as it would be to see him get off, Trump running again in 2024 would be an absolute disaster for the GOP so it's kinda win-win.

Reactions: RJN
APPARENTLY 20 Republican senators have indicated they might go through with it

this sounds promising but I’ll believe it when I see it

they always say things and never go through with it

When does it go to the Senate for the vote? We are almost running out of time :o
It’s not clear yet. 19 Jan at the earliest, but the House can wait before it sends the articles.

There’s no rush - even the quickest timeframe, the trial won’t end before 20 Jan.

I am worried that he’s going to pardon them on the last day

Surely you can't pardon someone until they're convicted and that won't happen in time?

He is being very spiteful with all the executions and the LGBT roleback he threatened all along. The latter can be reversed, the former can't and is a symbol of his sociopathy, his barbarism and his absolute disregard for anything other than his own ego. A horrific excuse for a human being.

Surely you can't pardon someone until they're convicted and that won't happen in time?

He is being very spiteful with all the executions and the LGBT roleback he threatened all along. The latter can be reversed, the former can't and is a symbol of his sociopathy, his barbarism and his absolute disregard for anything other than his own ego. A horrific excuse for a human being.

Carter (I think) mass pardoned Vietnam draft dodgers so maybe?

Honestly, hook these (former) Trump lover freakouts to my veins...

"It all makes sense to me now!!"

CouncilEmailConspiracy-850x510.jpg

Unfortunately the rules are so weird you can do a pre-emptive pardon, it's what he's going to do to his family and probably try to do to himself.

Unfortunately the rules are so weird you can do a pre-emptive pardon, it's what he's going to do to his family and probably try to do to himself.

Presumably it needs to be a pardon for a specific crime though, so he'd have to pre-emptively pardon all possible crimes? I've no idea how it works, but I can't imagine it's a blanket pardon for every crime?

Presumably it needs to be a pardon for a specific crime though, so he'd have to pre-emptively pardon all possible crimes? I've no idea how it works, but I can't imagine it's a blanket pardon for every crime?
Check out Ford’s pardon of Richard Nixon. Pretty blankety.

He'll have one last middle finger to everyone, that's for sure. He'll try to overshadow the inauguration.

I've just seen an interview with the first second gentleman Doug Emhoff. He seems astonishingly sweet natured for a lawyer. His son is mildly attractive.

I didn't realise Kamala has no children of her own, which I find RELATABLE.

Reactions: RJN
Is there any prospect of them cancelling the big inauguration ceremony and doing something smaller and more secure instead?

I can't tell if the building media hysteria about threats (latest twist: they're worried about insiders within the National Guard) is at all serious or just clickbait.

There's no public at the inauguration and many times more military personnel than actual politicians so I imagine it will be quite secure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom