TV Ratings 2024

5 million tuned in last night giving ITV the biggest numbers. Ant & Dec not DEAD after all? :o

5 million tuned in last night giving ITV the biggest numbers. Ant & Dec not DEAD after all? :o
It had 6.373m for the first episode last year, including catch up, and was #4 of the week. So we'll see how it compares next week.

I caught bits of the show, and I appreciate the effort that goes into the whole thing. Nobody really makes TV like this anymore for an average Saturday night. But I think there's also a good reason for that. Five million is a good audience by current standards; I just wonder how much ITV actually make from it once you take out all the costs of putting on something of this scale.

February 12 - 18

01 Death In Paradise 6.964m
02 Trigger Point 6.911m
03 Silent Witness 6.555m
04 After The Flood 6.141m
05 The Apprentice 6.052m
06 Gladiators 5.892m
07 The Masked Singer 5.542m
08 Michael McIntyre's Big Show 5.400m
09 The 1% Club 4.956m
10 Coronation Street 4.330m
11 Dragons' Den 4.141m
12 Emmerdale 4.072m
13 BBC News at Six 3.826m
14 EastEnders 3.735m
15 Countryfile 3.684m
16 Gogglebox 3.443m
17 Would I Lie To You? 3.191m
18 The BAFTA Film Awards 3.152m
19 Dancing On Ice 3.148m
20 The Chase 3.010m

Dancing On Ice may have re-entered the Top 20, but that's due to the figures being down across the board. It's a series and all time low.

@lolly I’m not sure if I’m having a bit of a senior moment but is it not unusual for a series to go up in ratings consecutively when it is all released after the first episode? I understand Catch up etc, but the weekly totals usually dwindle, no?

Interesting that Death In Paradise and Trigger Point share the same Sunday night broadcast slot too.

Interesting that Death In Paradise and Trigger Point share the same Sunday night broadcast slot too.

OMG! Really? Between them that must be a very high percentage of the people watching tv on a Sunday evening in the UK.

I have never watched a single episode of Death In Paradise. Am I missing out?

@lolly I’m not sure if I’m having a bit of a senior moment but is it not unusual for a series to go up in ratings consecutively when it is all released after the first episode? I understand Catch up etc, but the weekly totals usually dwindle, no?
I'm not sure, to be honest; I don't follow most of them enough to know which ones are dropped like that, or as weekly episodes.

You can see why it will happen, though - after all the figures include all viewing pre-broadcast up to 7 days after the date of broadcast. So if it's say the sixth episode of a show which was broadcast weekly but dumped on iPlayer at the start, by the time the sixth episode has been broadcast, it's actually six weeks worth of viewing being recorded, not just the broadcast plus 7 days that shows not all dumped on iPlayer at the time are getting.

I'm not sure, to be honest; I don't follow most of them enough to know which ones are dropped like that, or as weekly episodes.

You can see why it will happen, though - after all the figures include all viewing pre-broadcast up to 7 days after the date of broadcast. So if it's say the sixth episode of a show which was broadcast weekly but dumped on iPlayer at the start, by the time the sixth episode has been broadcast, it's actually six weeks worth of viewing being recorded, not just the broadcast plus 7 days that shows not all dumped on iPlayer at the time are getting.

I love it when you go all nerdy on me. :horny:

But the majority of Trigger Point's viewing is coming from ITVX views, not live viewing.

I don't have the breakdown for the episode in the most recent chart as Thinkbox hasn't updated yet (only BARB), but if you look at the episodes on 11th February, Death In Paradise had 3.346m live viewers, and Trigger Point only 1.623m - so still just a fraction under 5m viewing live.

10 Coronation Street 4.330m
11 Dragons' Den 4.141m
12 Emmerdale 4.072m
13 BBC News at Six 3.826m
14 EastEnders 3.735m

I know there's little to separate the soaps, and Coronation Street/Emmerdale are down year-on-year, but I'm going to say it: I think EastEnders should be doing better than Emmerdale, at least, by this point. Considering how much build-up there was to Christmas, I'm pretty sure it would've been hoped that's the moment which pushed it back into second - or perhaps even first - place. The fact that the ratings have just gone back to how they were before (even taking into account some of the fallout has been messy due to Letitia Dean's unplanned absence) doesn't feel like it would've been part of the plan.

I know there's little to separate the soaps, and Coronation Street/Emmerdale are down year-on-year, but I'm going to say it: I think EastEnders should be doing better than Emmerdale, at least, by this point. Considering how much build-up there was to Christmas, I'm pretty sure it would've been hoped that's the moment which pushed it back into second - or perhaps even first - place. The fact that the ratings have just gone back to how they were before (even taking into account some of the fallout has been messy due to Letitia Dean's unplanned absence) doesn't feel like it would've been part of the plan.

Is Letitia Dean back filming yet? Has she been unwell?

Is Letitia Dean back filming yet? Has she been unwell?

I think I've read that she's back filming, but her current absence was written in at the last minute. They've apparently been working around it since the Christmas episodes when she left rather suddenly.

Just watched the first 2 episodes of Breathtaking. Very well done but I spent the majority of it bawling my eyes out. Such an emotional watch but it all still feels very raw.

Just watched the first 2 episodes of Breathtaking. Very well done but I spent the majority of it bawling my eyes out. Such an emotional watch but it all still feels very raw.
Yeah, I've decided against it.

What was the drama on BBC 1 on Monday? Apparently it pulled in one of the channels lowest prime time figures ever of just 880k in the overnights. :nononono:

OUCH. I couldn’t find what drama it was, and was wondering if it was possibly a repeat of something.

February 19 - 25

01 Trigger Point 7.380m
02 Death In Paradise 7.299m
03 Call The Midwife 7.078m
04 The Apprentice 6.433m
05 Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway 5.860m
06 Gladiators 5.478m
07 The 1% Club 5.175m
08 Coronation Street 4.688m
09 Antiques Roadshow 4.640m
10 Breathtaking 4.626m
11 Six Nations Rugby: Scotland vs England 4.355m
12 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 4.183m
13 Countryfile 4.162m
14 Dragons' Den 4.143m
15 Emmerdale 4.094m
16 BBC News at Six 3.817m
17 EastEnders 3.616m
18 Gogglebox 3.501m
19 Would I Lie To You? 3.419m
20 Dancing On Ice 3.379m

So Saturday Night Takeaway returns just over half a million down (slightly over 8%) on the series opener last year. Certainly not a disaster, and very similar in terms of % to Coronation St, Emmerdale and Limitless Win when I compared them year on year a few weeks back.

But I share @Slave's comment about the effort that must go into a big production like that, amd how financially viable it is. It feels like the kind of show which needs to be BIG to work. And as much as Ant & Dec irritate and bore me now, I don't believe it's them - I just don't think that audience exists for a show like that any more.

February 19 - 25

01 Trigger Point 7.380m
02 Death In Paradise 7.299m
03 Call The Midwife 7.078m
04 The Apprentice 6.433m
05 Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway 5.860m
06 Gladiators 5.478m
07 The 1% Club 5.175m
08 Coronation Street 4.688m
09 Antiques Roadshow 4.640m
10 Breathtaking 4.626m
11 Six Nations Rugby: Scotland vs England 4.355m
12 Michael McIntyre's The Wheel 4.183m
13 Countryfile 4.162m
14 Dragons' Den 4.143m
15 Emmerdale 4.094m
16 BBC News at Six 3.817m
17 EastEnders 3.616m
18 Gogglebox 3.501m
19 Would I Lie To You? 3.419m
20 Dancing On Ice 3.379m

Trigger Point has been quite the runaway success.

So Saturday Night Takeaway returns just over half a million down (slightly over 8%) on the series opener last year. Certainly not a disaster, and very similar in terms of % to Coronation St, Emmerdale and Limitless Win when I compared them year on year a few weeks back.

But I share @Slave's comment about the effort that must go into a big production like that, amd how financially viable it is. It feels like the kind of show which needs to be BIG to work. And as much as Ant & Dec irritate and bore me now, I don't believe it's them - I just don't think that audience exists for a show like that any more.

I think this is the last season before a prolonged break, but yes I agree with you both and still impressive figures for a Saturday evening.

Still not over the scene from Triggerpoint shown on Gogglebox last week, where Vicky McClure had to save people from a bomb stuck beneath a portable toilet by driving it in to a field and running away before it blew up

Trigger Point has been quite the runaway success.
Very successful, and without wanting to take that away I think it probably bears pointing out again that we aren't really comparing like with like. That episode had been available for four weeks by the end of this week as it was all on ITVX from the end of January, and all those figures are included in the total. I'd imagine that both Death In Paradise and Call The Midwife will beat it on their 28 day ratings.

Very successful, and without wanting to take that away I think it probably bears pointing out again that we aren't really comparing like with like. That episode had been available for four weeks by the end of this week as it was all on ITVX from the end of January, and all those figures are included in the total. I'd imagine that both Death In Paradise and Call The Midwife will beat it on their 28 day ratings.

Oh yes I totally get that, but a resounding success regardless. I am going to try keep an eye on series that are all released after the first episode as from memory I am sure I clocked them falling in ratings each week but can’t be 100% sure and that may depend on the quality of the first episode of people continue to watch live or not.

I'm sure Gladiators has been a big enough success that it will get a second series for the BBC (not sure if there has been any announcement yet), but seeing it fall pretty much week on week (first time below 5.5m this week for the second QF) does make me wonder if like @cwej said a few weeks back, it has legs. Now we're in the quarter finals and the figures are still heading south, I don't get any real sense of excitement over WHO WILL WIN and figures increasing in any significant way for the final. Unlike other shows, the appeal is in the format and the Gladiators rather than the contenders, isn't it?

I've been watching this series and, so far, it feels like there's definitely been cuts to the budget - whether that's money and/or time.

After two eps there doesn't appear to be the same amount of carefully planned, pre-filmed content. There've been no big ambitious months-in-the-making surprises of audience members, and they seem to have done away with the usual serialised comedy-drama with Ant and Dec and loads of celebs. What remains is a lot more throwaway and old hat. It no longer feels like superior, well-crafted Saturday night telly

I'm sure Gladiators has been a big enough success that it will get a second series for the BBC (not sure if there has been any announcement yet), but seeing it fall pretty much week on week (first time below 5.5m this week for the second QF) does make me wonder if like @cwej said a few weeks back, it has legs. Now we're in the quarter finals and the figures are still heading south, I don't get any real sense of excitement over WHO WILL WIN and figures increasing in any significant way for the final. Unlike other shows, the appeal is in the format and the Gladiators rather than the contenders, isn't it?

Tell that to Eunice Huthart and Wesley Two Scoops. It does help if you can find a contender to root for.

I know it has to have some sort of competitive structure, but I'm not sure I'd expect it to build in the same way. Are the contenders really memorable enough to generate excitement that would grow ratings? I haven't ever thought about that as being the appeal (or even intention) of Gladiators.

What's surely not helping is the scheduling, which is crap. Next Saturday's BBC line-up is:

17.50: Gladiators
18.50: Michael McIntyre's The Wheel
19.50: The Weakest Link
20.35: Pointless Celebrities

If the best the BBC can come up with at 8.30pm on a Saturday evening is a celebrity edition of a daytime show they already screen (almost) four hours a week, that's dire. Why is Gladiators not on at 7pm? Put Michael McIntyre on at 8 and put Pointless in the early-evening slot where it belongs.

I know it has to have some sort of competitive structure, but I'm not sure I'd expect it to build in the same way. Are the contenders really memorable enough to generate excitement that would grow ratings? I haven't ever thought about that as being the appeal (or even intention) of Gladiators.

I just named two contestants that I still remembered from 30 years ago (that I know were massively popular at the time). Worth noting that it was in a pre-reality tv world so now we have that satisfy that need instead - but back in the day people did remember the contestants and followed their journeys throughout.

What's surely not helping is the scheduling, which is crap. Next Saturday's BBC line-up is:

17.50: Gladiators
18.50: Michael McIntyre's The Wheel
19.50: The Weakest Link
20.35: Pointless Celebrities

If the best the BBC can come up with at 8.30pm on a Saturday evening is a celebrity edition of a daytime show they already screen (almost) four hours a week, that's dire. Why is Gladiators not on at 7pm? Put Michael McIntyre on at 8 and put Pointless in the early-evening slot where it belongs.
This is a really good point, and it's interesting if you drill down into the data. The VOSDAL (viewing on same day as live) figure for Gladiators was 1.864m. That's the highest for any programme. Obviously there's more scope to pick up a higher number of these viewers if a programme is broadcast earlier, but I'd say it's strongly suggestive of an audience which wants to watch it on the day, but not necessarily at the time BBC chooses to show it.

And compared to the other Saturday night entertainment shows, it has the smallest proportion of viewers watching the live broadcast, which I think underlines this.

The Weakest Link 74%
The 1% Club 67%
The Masked Singer 59%
Michael McIntyre's Big Show 51%
Gladiators 42%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom