UK: The Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson years - problematic + infected + broke the law + electoral poison + sneks + not very good + OVER (funny)

Fairly inevitable after the initial outrage subsided. I hope that Gray/police investigations bring fresh impotus, but I can already feel the population getting weary.

It's a shame that it's partygate that ended up being "the" scandal. There's so much actual shit that can be thrown as Boris - fucked up Brexit, cost of living crisis, covid deaths, test and trace, NHS waiting times, contracts for mates, food banks, and yet THIS is the one that sticks?

I fucking hate Boris and anyone who has even considered lending his vote to him.

Well, by the time the local elections come around, the NI increase and exceptionally high energy prices will be biting. Will the middle class finally understand that they've been shafted?

Fairly inevitable after the initial outrage subsided. I hope that Gray/police investigations bring fresh impotus, but I can already feel the population getting weary.

It's a shame that it's partygate that ended up being "the" scandal. There's so much actual shit that can be thrown as Boris - fucked up Brexit, cost of living crisis, covid deaths, test and trace, NHS waiting times, contracts for mates, food banks, and yet THIS is the one that sticks?

I fucking hate Boris and anyone who has even considered lending his vote to him.

It´s disheartening to see but some bounce back was inevitable, especially with the Tories poll dive being solely down to them rather than Labour offering up anything exciting or inspiring. Remember we are also potentially two years out from a general election so this could all be potentially trivial anyway.

I still maintain that some permanent damage HAS been done(remember there were those a few weeks back saying the absolute floor for the Tories was 35% and they´re still below that now even WITH a bounce), but I do think it´s also very clear that Labour can´t rely on being the "not so bad or nicer ones" come election time.

It´s disheartening to see but some bounce back was inevitable, especially with the Tories poll dive being solely down to them rather than Labour offering up anything exciting or inspiring. Remember we are also potentially two years out from a general election so this could all be potentially trivial anyway.

I still maintain that some permanent damage HAS been done(remember there were those a few weeks back saying the absolute floor for the Tories was 35% and they´re still below that now even WITH a bounce), but I do think it´s also very clear that Labour can´t rely on being the "not so bad or nicer ones" come election time.
Agreed - damage has been done and a bit of churn in the polls isn’t going to undo that. Boris trails on best PM behind Starmer and Sunak and the party is underwater vs Labour on almost every policy area.

A 35% floor is very fanciful (considering that is what they polled in 2010 and only marginally higher in 2015 - both ‘winning’ elections). It’s probably closer to 30% for both main UK parties. Brexit obfuscated everything somewhat but that appears to be slowly unwinding.

Lo and behold, the government’s Levelling Up White Paper will finally be released next week.

Expect it to be pork-barrel tastic with bribes for every marginal Tory seat in the North (at the expense of spending money elsewhere).

Lo and behold, the government’s Levelling Up White Paper will finally be released next week.

Expect it to be pork-barrel tastic with bribes for every marginal Tory seat in the North (at the expense of spending money elsewhere).
Nope! Sunak wouldn't give Gove any more than the original £4.7bn he allocated for it.

9nj2l5.jpg

h9zogs.jpg

I know that, but the great unwashed won’t care. They are the same people who think Brexit is helping the NHS, or though Johnson would be a good prime minister.

Is there anything legally stopping her just dropping the report in full?

It isn't her choice? She works for the cabinet office, so she has to follow the processes binding her, which essentially means the PM decides what gets published.

If she published it herself, she'd be fired.

I mean the entire Sue Gray report was a total diversion tactic anyway wasn’t it? He said about 300 times “let’s wait for the report” so that he didn’t have to answer any questions, not to mention the fact that the report was instigated by the government anyway. Create chaos and the truth will get lost.

He plays this country like a fiddle.

“The gatherings within the scope of this investigation are spread over a 20-month period – a period that has been unique in recent times in terms of the complexity and breadth of the demands on public servants and indeed the general public. The whole of the country rose to the challenge. Ministers, special advisers and the Civil Service, of which I am proud to be a part, were a key and dedicated part of that national effort. However, as I have noted, a number of these gatherings should not have been allowed to take place or to develop in the way that they did. There is significant learning to be drawn from these events which must be addressed immediately across Government. This does not need to wait for the police investigations to be concluded.”

It lists out about 12 events, of which, the police are still investigating eight.

“As a result of the Metropolitan Police’s investigations, and so as not to prejudice the police investigative process, they have told me that it would only be appropriate to make minimal reference to the gatherings on the dates they are investigating. Unfortunately, this necessarily means that I am extremely limited in what I can say about those events and it is not possible at present to provide a meaningful report setting out and analysing the extensive factual information I have been able to gather.

In respect of the gatherings that the Metropolitan Police has assessed as not reaching the threshold for criminal investigation; they have not requested any limitations be placed on the description of those events, however, I have decided not to publish factual accounts in relation to those four dates. I do not feel that I am able to do so without detriment to the overall balance of the findings.”

“There is significant learning to be drawn” speaks volumes to me.

No punishment, just do better next time!

Also old Sue makes it abundantly clear this isn’t a report - just an update. Even in respect of the four minor events, she explicitly refrains from commenting at this stage.

“There is significant learning to be drawn” speaks volumes to me.

No punishment, just do better next time!
what punishment would you have her dole out? she's a civil servant.

the report is an absolute joke. two weeks for ten pages of mostly irrelevant notes about the scope of her investigation? this summary was clearly written more or less at gunpoint to paint the gov in the best possible light.

don't even get me started on the absurd paragraph about "excessive alcohol consumption" being inappropriate. as though that's the key issue here.

the UK is far beyond a joke at this point and the people deserve what they've got for not holding Boris to account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom