United Kingdom 2024: Olly Alexander - Dizzy

Left you Dizzy?

• Total voters
In at #74 on Spotify daily. Actually a bit of a step down on last year. Mae debuted at #56 (and swiftly fell off).

That’s still a strong debut, no complaints at that. It’s peak will likely be the week of the contest along with radio etc so it’ll just be this week it appears anyway unless it can latch onto some big playlists (not impossible given how streaming seems to get bigger and bigger for the contest these days).

True, but it's hard not to look wistfully at the Netherlands and what a bona fide instant hit looks like.

I really hope there is some BBC Queen on hand to say ‘you’re not wearing THAT’
That's kind of my worry too; yes it's all part of his persona but he also needs to attract the votes of people all across Europe.

In at #74 on Spotify daily. Actually a bit of a step down on last year. Mae debuted at #56 (and swiftly fell off).
117,298 streams. I'm not sure what Maes were(for comparison)

They were only 97,041
Interesting..also last year was coming of the back of Sam...and the buzz around Liverpool..so probably not a bad debut for Olly.

He'll drop like a stone now but the test will be if he picks up traction before the contest.

Mae wasn't available on streaming until later in the day, was she?

She was also released on a Thusday. She actually increased slightly to 99.5k on the Friday, presumably because then she had a full day, although it fell to #70, as streaming numbers usually increase on Fridays across the board. And I imagine she may have been put on the New Music Friday playlist as well.

So if he's done 117k off a whole day, by comparison to her, I don't think it's particuarly strong. Let's see how he holds on day two.

Last edited:
Lets just see with Olly. I think the jury is out until May. He may tank or he may finish top 15 with a great stage show and some extra drama.

A lot of the more eccentric entries are going to get knocked out of the semis as well

To be honest I don't think drawing a parallel between their streaming or iTunes performance is particularly useful in any other respect anyway.

After a few listens, I like it, but it wouldn't sound out out of place as an album track on the 'Night Call' ALBAM. I was hoping for more of a first album STOMPER

Interesting..also last year was coming of the back of Sam...and the buzz around Liverpool..so probably not a bad debut for Olly.

He'll drop like a stone now but the test will be if he picks up traction before the contest.
Probably not I'd guess. This bodes pretty badly compared to Mae.

Probably not I'd guess. This bodes pretty badly compared to Mae.
I really don't think we can read to much into this at this stage - it got more streams than Mae but beyond that how many hairs do you want to split?? I remember these conversations in 2022 and im NOT before anyone chirps up suggestion this is going to contend for the win because it isn't but this idea that because it didnt blow everyone away its destined for the bottom 3 is boring and tiring.

If it bombs, fine - but im not nailing my colors to the mast just yet, the online community has a very patchy record when it comes to predicting the sucess of any given entry.

I think it's...OK

Doesn't sound like a winner (or even a hit, to be honest), but I have more confidence in him being able to sell an average song than someone who's been plucked out of obscurity and put on the biggest stage in the world.

The discourse around the UK song is uniquely tiresome by comparison to every other country. People spend three months gleefully rubbing their hands and looking for evidence that we’re definitely going to fail and judging us by entirely different metrics than every other country. It gets fucking boring.

We haven’t seen the performance yet
It’s OLLY ALEXANDER not some nobody with zero experience
Consensus online and even in this fucking thread is that the song is good

This tedious obsession with how terribly we’ll do based on CUNT ALL other than the fact we all like the song is both puzzling and making me not really want to fucking engage.

I like Olly Alexander so I was really looking forward to this but the first impression was Massivetina Disappointulera. :( It just sounds depressing and bit like a Nicole Scherzinger B-side. And like someone pointed out, it doesn't really go anywhere. It's grown on me but I'm still not sure it has commercial appeal for this contest. I'd like to see him do well but I'd be surprised for a top 10 finish. Unless for the staging they come up with a Specialtina Surprisulera.:disco:

I like Olly Alexander so I was really looking forward to this but the first impression was Massivetina Disappointulera. :( It just sounds depressing and bit like a Nicole Scherzinger B-side. And like someone pointed out, it doesn't really go anywhere. It's grown on me but I'm still not sure it has commercial appeal for this contest. I'd like to see him do well but I'd be surprised for a top 10 finish. Unless for the staging they come up with a Specialtina Surprisulera.:disco:

Stop it you will push poor ole ButterTart over the edge :o

i'm baffled by the response in this thread. Perhaps we have heard a different song :D

So am I - It’s not the second coming of Jesus but it’s a strong pop song, more than holding its own against most of the other tracks in the contest.

So much misery and doom, I thought most people would be happy we have a good song by a good artist but already we are number 24 with a bullet or something?!

The discourse around the UK song is uniquely tiresome by comparison to every other country. People spend three months gleefully rubbing their hands and looking for evidence that we’re definitely going to fail and judging us by entirely different metrics than every other country. It gets fucking boring.

This tedious obsession with how terribly we’ll do based on CUNT ALL other than the fact we all like the song is both puzzling and making me not really want to fucking engage.
1000054715.jpg

i'm baffled by the response in this thread. Perhaps we have heard a different song :D
My stance on the UK remains the same, its a really(like..no no joke really really good popsong) I just dont think in a field of 26 anyone is going to be compelled to vote for it...having said that, we havent seen the staging and the final product which is why im not nailing my colors to the mast yet

TOO SUBTLE

I just dont think in a field of 26 anyone is going to be compelled to vote for it...

Subtle was definitely my first thought even before we got the full version. I actually really like the song, but as always yes, why necessarily would you pick up the phone to vote for it over 25 others? Especially this year. I'm getting horrible Javine comparisons in my head, where we have what is essentially a good song and competent performer being well, out-Ollyed by other, stronger entries.

And yes I know it's better than Javine. I will tentatively stick with the Blue comparison and say we'll be around 10-15 or thereabouts. Which would be great. Anything more is a bonus.

I hope they chuck shit tons of money at this, he gets a good draw, zero control of his wardrobe, with mic largely SWITCHED OFF on the night and then we might get some jury love too

I'm fairness, in Eurovision we've had a quarter of a century of conditioning that's taught us to approach the UK entry with TERROR and MISTRUST. Is it any wonder we self-flagellate?

But also I think it's fine to enjoy the song and still question its chances - most of us are from the UK, so inevitably we're going to dissect it more.

Although equally I keep singing it in my head, I've just put it on again and it's so lovely to say we've got a respectable pop song on our hands.

...and then the high note comes and I get chills down my spine for all the wrong reasons imagining it on the night.

I loved the initial clip so i'm disappointed that the full 3 minutes doesn't really add to it. Like somebody else said it doesn't really go anywhere. I'm hoping for really strong staging and an amended version on the night with more oomph.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom