What happens if everyone was right and it IS all political?

What would happen if the winning country was unable to host? Where would it go?
Sweden and Spain have definitely offered to host if Ukraine win; Germany are usually thought to be the hosting plan if Australia ever win.

I reckon they'd offer it to the runner-up, and all of the likely options there would easily be able to host if they wanted to.

I heard someone point out the difference between a political win and a humanitarian win. And they went off and said it’s the least Europe could do having done nothing to help. And I was quite surprised to learn that person was Dr Eurovision :o

Yeah it’s funny we have an exact precedent for this - I mean i’d say Ukraine V Russia in 2016 felt like a “stick it up your bum, Putin” moment, but mind you Russia won the televote so idk

A humanitarian win! I mean the EUROGONG isn’t worth anything? Do we all get an “I stand wiv Ukrane” sticker for voting for them and not donating any money?

Some queens have only just gotten over Jamala, I can’t handle the DISCOURSE.

Reactions: D5K
All this would’ve of course been avoided had Eurovision had the same rules as ASFM. Send unknown shit and don’t reveal the country until the voting is over. :)

What would happen if the winning country was unable to host? Where would it go?

I reckon the BEEB would do it!

Reminds me of when Ireland kept winning and said if they win again they wouldn't host? I did not dream that did I?

The issue is that the Ukrainian entry did not meet the moment. A Raven Queen delivering something like Шум with its dark and increasingly frantic energy or a Verka going balls all the way in and showing what freedom looks like... this would have been the catharsis we needed to make the win feel truly justified.

Although I hadn't really thought about the lyrics until after the event - I can see how it would be more poignant than just some random entry, in the same way 1944 was

The issue is that the Ukrainian entry did not meet the moment. A Raven Queen delivering something like Шум with its dark and increasingly frantic energy or a Verka going balls all the way in and showing what freedom looks like... this would have been the catharsis we needed to make the win feel truly justified.

I disagree. The defiant nature of the song felt like it struck the right tone far more effectively than if they'd sent something really sad like Alina Pash's song, or just ignored it and gone with something wacky.

That final shot of them all standing together on the stage was really powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom