A Mariah - Glitter listen party (8pm TONIGHT)

rather than a movie with any kind of story arc, this album really just sounds torn between being any given Saturday night between about 1979 and 1987 :disco: and being a Mariah record.

I like it best in disco territory, 'cos Never Too Far is just too much a watered-down version of what she's done so well, so often. the key change is rough!

A ballad too far for me singles wise, but it's actually good. I think her poor image got in the way of people hearing anything but mush with them. The surprises elsewhere should have been the focus before the safety net was used.

A relatively arty passage in Mariah terms to sign out on. The voice is layers of ripples and husky murmurs and I guess it's the sound of her medication kicking in... and that's a wrap y'all, don't knock until 1pm as per the rules, staff.

God bless Mariah. Glitter is good.

Didn't Mean to Turn You On is the best song on this album.

On balance I enjoyed it more than I expected, and think the best bits can compete with some of her 90s stuff. it's better than FUCKING RAINBOW ANYWAY

it was, however, a long 51 minutes. Bionic went by in more of a FLASH despite being SOMEHOW EVEN LONGER

oh my god, Spotify autoplayed Touch My Body. It's like greeting your old friend G&T and then going for a quick dip in the pool. what a TONIC :disco:

so, much as I enjoyed that, it's no E=MC2 as far as utterly pointless comparisons GO!

I remember putting Don’t Stop (Funkin’ 4 Jamaica) in my all time Mariah Top 10 here and being laughed at

Fuck the If We haterz!

Bitch JLO stole both the Loverboy sample AND If We's song structure (along with Ja Rule) for her I'm Real/Aint It funny remixes, I ain't buying all the narratives mentioned in some shoddy E! Entertainment Documentary spoke of, the bitch was evil and there was a greater force out there to bring M down.

Listen at the 16 second mark

10 Loverboy Remix (Feat. Da Brat, Ludacris, Twenty II & Shawnna)
10 Lead The Way
10 If We (Feat. Ja Rule) :evil:
09 Didn't Mean To Turn You On
08 Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica) (Feat. Mystikal)
08 All My Life
07 Reflections (Care Enough)
07 Last Night A DJ Saved My Life (Fet. Busta, Fabolous & DJ Clue) (would be an 8 if it wasn't too fucking long)
08 Want You (With Eric Benet)
07 Never Too Far
06 Twister
10 Loverboy (Feat. Cameo)

All in all a very listenable Mimi adventure. Why they went with Reflections/Never too far as singles over Lead The Way is beyond me though.

Just popping in to say you're a bunch of cunts for doing this.

https://www.moopy.co.uk/threads/tuesday-serves-a-delicious-fish-in-soup.99125/page-2

Awww I missed this but loving the feedback.

Meanwhile, how twisted is Moopy for liking this more than Butterfly. So wrong.

I saw an interview with her recently from around the time where she said she had worked with Prince on something intended for this... anyone know anything about that?

I used to LOVE Don’t Stop (Funkin’ For Jamaica) I agree it doesn’t work as a single, it’s not strong enough and definitely not another number one debut for sure... but there is something about it!

Reactions: dUb
I hated this song so much when it came out. What on earth was wrong with me?!?
At the time I just recall thinking it was an inferior retread of the Heartbreaker Remix formula... now In 2020 lockdown I appreciate the thirst this slut anthem delivers

I definitely think there are moments that stand alongside her greatest and I love that #JusticeForGlitter has TRULY been served but the truth of the matter is there are as many lows as there are soaring highs.

Lead The Way is the ballad for the ages even though Never Too Far edges just behind it. It’s straight out of her early 90’s vault and up there with Whenever You Call.

09 Loverboy Remix (Feat. Da Brat, Ludacris, Twenty II & Shawnna)
10 Lead The Way
01 If We (Feat. Ja Rule)
10 Didn't Mean To Turn You On
00 Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica) (Feat. Mystikal)
06 All My Life
10 Reflections (Care Enough)
07 Last Night A DJ Saved My Life (Fet. Busta, Fabolous & DJ Clue)
10 Want You (With Eric Benet)
11 Never Too Far
08 Twister

One of her most unremarkable albums for me. Nothing bad on it, but with the exception of Loverboy, there are no real standouts.

Loverboy Remix (Feat. Da Brat, Ludacris, Twenty II & Shawnna)
07 Lead The Way
06 If We (Feat. Ja Rule)
07 Didn't Mean To Turn You On
06 Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica) (Feat. Mystikal)
06 All My Life
05 Last Night A DJ Saved My Life (Fet. Busta, Fabolous & DJ Clue)
07 Want You (With Eric Benet)
07 Never Too Far
06 Twister

Not a bad album by any means, certainly better than Charmbracelet, but I think it would have worked better for her if she only released her best four or five ("Loverboy", "Lead the Way", "Didn't Mean...", "All My Life", "Want You") alongside 80s inspired tracks recorded by other artists.

09 Loverboy Remix (Feat. Da Brat, Ludacris, Twenty II & Shawnna)
09 Lead The Way
00 If We (Feat. Ja Rule)
08 Didn't Mean To Turn You On
05 Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica) (Feat. Mystikal) - lost a point for all the grunting
08 All My Life
05 Last Night A DJ Saved My Life (Fet. Busta, Fabolous & DJ Clue) - this goes on FOREVER
08 Want You (With Eric Benet)
07 Never Too Far
06 Twister

Almost alone in the gym now and it’s really hard not to lipsync for my life to the high notes of Lead the Way

It’s even harder not to with Never Too Far. I swear that old lady saw me before I restrained myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom