A Song For Moopy 2020 - CLOSED - RESULTS SUNDAY 7PM

i'm on my 3rd listen (4th for some) and i am liking them a lot more without the visuals - most of them look worse than they sound.
i could happily give points to more than 10. there are only a few i actually find offensive.

Oh there was quite a few I found thoroughly RANK. I'll try and go through the remaining songs and then the whole shoot again tonight but KEY WORKER etc etc.

I've given everything a run-through and everything has a preliminary score. Some point today I'll do a quick thirty second burst of each, make sure the scores are still pretty much okay then send my WOTES. I wish I'd done decimals though 'cos I have about four 8's and five 9's.

I have a list of my current favourites, and think I shall sit outside today with some refreshments and blare them to the countryside one after the other. I plan for by the end of today.
WONDERFUL

I'm still whittling down to my top songs that'll be getting points, but hopefully will be able to send scores today.

Bailando and Rigga-Ding-Dong-Song however cheesy have brought sunshine to my life in this dark and bleak time. I actually forgot life could be so JOYOUS.

here's 3409 characters and 2 cents from the mameeral jury!

1 Greenland - Liz - Last Call (After Party Mix) - i am slightly aware of this void and i do appreciate a lot of things about this song but it just doesn't stick and i couldn't hum it to save my life!
2 Cayman Islands - Marcus and Martinus - Make You Believe In Love - i thought it was a laydee when i wasn't looking. it's definitely a fun for eurovision earworm but ultimately generic.
3 Cornwall - LEON - Falling - of course i know and quite like leon. this is probably my favourite of hers - subtle (perhaps too subtle for this format?), fun and uber-melodic.
4 United Arab Emirates - Clare Laffut feat. Yseult - Nudes - another i know and like outside this contest. it's a good song albeit a tad slight and her style is the best thing about it.
5 Croatia - Beast in Black - Sweet True Lies - i'm all for a bit of silly hair rock but this bad - a joyless retread of so many songs before it.
6 Saint Kitts and Nevis - Cosima - Close To You (Moonlighting) - i wanted to like this more but that chorus just can't seem to penetrate my brain.
7 British Indian Ocean Territory - Stockholm Noir feat. Ofelia - Boy Like A Girl - probably the one i've listened to most, this non-binary
8 Tunisia - Scandal'Us - History - tinny, tinny, tinny, can't you see?
9 Belize - Macy Rodman - She Will Be A Relic One Day - this woman's voice makes me wanna self-harm. if it wasn't for her i'd probably quite like this.
10 Faroe islands - Natassa Bofiliou - Oi Meres Tou Fotos - aww, i approve but then i'm a sucker for greek. i hope this doesn well and we get a foreign language edition of this contest down the line.
11 Portugal - Kosheen - Waste - sian's voice is grand and they really are so much better than those couple of singles that made them famous for a year.
12 Finland - Gareth Emery feat. Bo Bruce - U - not bad but generic.
13 Iran - Dana International - Fata Morgana - alakhelakakhelakakhewhaaaat! the relentless ridiculousness and cultural significance of 90s dana international are indisputable.
14 Belgium - Yasmine Hamdan - Nediya - my ex gifted me two of her albums. asshole.
15 Chile - Deep Dish - Say Hello - more nostalgia. i remember liking this more than i do now. made me put on flashdance. samesies!
16 Liechtenstein - Twinnie - Type of Girl - shuffle is shoving this down my throat like i have no gag reflex. apparently born on my birthday too. it's very catchy i'll give it that, the chorus and post-chorus are super instant. it's let down by some really poor lyrics.
17 Namibia - S.O.A.P. - Live Forever - don't remember them but this is quite the sultry gem. they're malaysian born too? it sounds like a dannii minogue track.
18 Slovenia - Greyson Chance - seasons nineteen - i love his new song! this one not so much and whoever took the cover art photo was not his friend.
19 Sweden - Paradisio - Bailando - one of my favourite eurodance songs of all time being here feels a bit like a cheap shot but realising no one in the uk has heard it has made me appreciate the unhiding of this joyfully unabashed trash.
20 Cuba - Style of Eye feat. Soso - Kids - it's ok but there's too much going on, too many references and it feels very aggressive. it's the jan of this this round.
21 England - Bassekou Kouyate - Musow Fanga - i appreciate this entry, i would hang my laundry to it but not sure i'd do much else.
22 Puerto Rico - Jennifer Paige - To the Madness - i thought this was rather faceless at first. now i think the post-chorus is simply lovely.
23 American Samoa - Cherona - Rigga Ding Dong Song - the aural equivalent of crabs. maybe a tad more fun. now if it were around the world (la la la la la)...
24 Mexico - Benee - Supalonely - this is catchy, if a bit faceless.
25 Sri Lanka - Francesca Michellin, Charlie Charles - Cheyenne - no degree of separation i adore. italian language i adore (you should've entered andromeda!). this is obviously good but i still couldn't hum it. i thought it would win after the first listen party but i don't anymore.
26 Swaziland - Kelly Oliver - Jericho - i can't say anything nice about this, sorry. to these ears it's music for people with absolutely no sense of adventure.
27 Vatican City State - ionnalee - SAMARITAN - a surprising choice. not my favourite track by one of my favourite artists of the last decade but a solid left of field entry.
28 North Korea - Tessa Violet - I Like (the Idea) of You - already know and love this. the urgent, low-register verses vs the prancey, pitchy chorus is a win for me. the other stuff by her i've heard has sadly been shit though.
29 Libya - Soraya Arnelas - Twilight - ok but it lacks anything that makes it really pop.
30 Nepal - Barbara - Ma plus belle historie d'amour - this would've been a great 3-minuter
31 Uzbekistan - J SOUL BROTHERS III - R.Y.U.S.E.I - apologies to whoever entered this, but i cannot stand to be in the same room with it for a minute.

Depending on how I do in this one I’ve got some really hateful shit I’m considering for the next one :)

I’m completely expecting everyone to up their game for the next one. Well except for a few who are clearly totally hopeless.

Reactions: Zu
I think I may scrape a few 12s actually :disco::disco: *finishes 29th with 6 points*

Judging from the last couple of reviews, it looks like I’ll be getting some points and won’t come last.

giphy.gif

Hopefully my masterpiece of a song will get points from the countries with more refined tastes and rich culture.

The lesser nations of Kalastan and Allaland are of no importance to me. (All diplomatic relations will however be suspended and trade tariffs imposed if they don’t give us points)

I’m completely expecting everyone to up their game for the next one. Well except for a few who are clearly totally hopeless.

It wouldn't be nice to name names but it'll give us something to chat about and God knows we have NOTHING better to do! :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom