All inclusive Madonna CHART STATS, CERTS & STREAMS thread

90s for me. But skewed by the time I was ‘getting into music’ from 96 onwards meant I was more exposed to that stuff first and around when those albums happened.

Just thinking about this - Whitney hasn't done it, despite I Wanna Dance With Somebody, Higher Love and I Will Always Love You (at least) all streaming considerably higher than Madonna's biggest tracks? The rest of her catalogue must be pretty poorly streamed then, at least relatively.

Mariah debuted at the very start of the 90s didn't she? I wonder what her total is - and then without the obvious.

Madonna just has a much, much bigger catalogue than Whitney. She has a much bigger catalogue than almost everyone - it should be a given that she reached it first and she should have done it sooner really

Madonna just has a much, much bigger catalogue than Whitney. She has a much bigger catalogue than almost everyone - it should be a given that she reached it first and she should have done it sooner really
Yes, I did wonder that after posting, and considered comparing how much they both had available on Spotify, but couldn't quite get enough :david: on.

Perhaps I will next week. I've got the week off and the weather looks shit.

Also Whitney never released new music in the streaming era…well, bar Higher Love.

Mariah & Whitney have individual songs with higher streams whilst Madonna has a higher streamed catalogue.
I find that interesting and also mirrors their rivalry back in the day of sales. Madonna has always been more consistent but, especially post-Erotica in the USA, never had the same size hits (barring 'Take A Bow', which flopped outside the US).

I do feel Celine is the one that is truly sidelined at this point in the game though.

According to a poster on ukmix, Janet's total spotify streams are 1.252 billion.

I know her discography is smaller than Madonna's but it's a lot bigger than a quarter of it.

Mariah & Whitney have individual songs with higher streams whilst Madonna has a higher streamed catalogue.
I find that interesting and also mirrors their rivalry back in the day of sales. Madonna has always been more consistent but, especially post-Erotica in the USA, never had the same size hits (barring 'Take A Bow', which flopped outside the US).

I do feel Celine is the one that is truly sidelined at this point in the game though.
How does Janet compare? I know she had a boost after the documentary series

Janet was never really on the same level as the big three (and later, four) internationally to be honest.

How does Janet compare to Kylie? Let's have a look to see if I can steal that from ukmix...

Kylie has 3m+ more monthly listeners on Spotify and she has CGYOOMH. I'd say she has bigger streaming numbers.

Janet’s problem (in keeping up with the numbers) is that her imperial years, even though it ran 15 years, was only 4, maybe 5 albums. She’s had a lot of albums overall but most of them in the 21st century when she was well past her peak.

If she’d gone in reverse and thrown out albums every couple of years during her big run and slowed down later, it might be a different story

I can't easily see Kylie's total, but I bet it's there somewhere.

Janet's so-called imperial years (come for me bitches) were only so in the USA and maybe Canada, not worldwide.
Yes she was huge in the UK circa janet. 1993-1995, but that does not an imperial era make.

Looking at Janet's Spotify numbers now and I'm a bit shocked at some of the numbers. They're lower than I would have thought. Then again I think she doesn't have the same interest anymore in her career and nor does she have the same management and backing that people like Madonna and Kylie have.

Janet's so-called imperial years (come for me bitches) were only so in the USA and maybe Canada, not worldwide.
Yes she was huge in the UK circa janet. 1993-1995, but that does not an imperial era make.
Don’t forget South Africa and Japan! Queen of one country per continent.

I feel like there’s more to it than Janet being a USA centric act (let’s face it that’s 330m+ people right there), although that’s a factor. Madonna, Mariah and Whitney have all had some sort of resurgence after 2001 that has contributed to their profile and streaming. Janet hasn’t really connected with millennials or Gen Z since “All for You”.

1668371254293.png

And the 6 songs are:

Material Girl
Like A Prayer
Like A Virgin
Papa Don't Preach
Hung Up
4 Minutes

4 80s, 2 00s.

I suppose Vogue at 172M will be the first one from the '90s to hit 200M.

As usual she has the issue of not combining different versions of streams

So the Vogue version with 172M is TIC/Celebration, but there are 20M or so streams from the Breathless version ..

It's utterly ludicrous and pretty meaningless, but with my :david: head on, I can see why people (well, loons) try to do it to attempt to draw comparison with figures today. Which of course isn't really possible to do. But I do understand it.

By these standards I imagine Immaculate Collection has on 50M equivalent units and Celebration is on 10M at least!!1!!!!!one

God (control) just imagine if Madge had tried an original Christmas song for every album. We surely would have something beyond imagination (both ways).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom