Anti-Tour announced

What a dreadful, horrible, sneery review. Quite frankly it was the best concert I've ever been to by her - and possibly the best of all time by anyone, bar none. The atmosphere was utterly electric from start to finish and it really felt like she was massively enjoying it and completely feeding off how much the crowd was loving it too. Every song felt like a complete triumph - even the ones that I hadn't been all that excited about (relatively speaking!) seeing the setlist were completely raised to a new level. In fact, I still can't quite put into words how brilliant it was. I've been on a complete high all day, and watching the videos back this evening and looking at my pictures has brought the whole thing rushing back enormously. I was there with a group of friends and the group pictures we took after it was over, completely grinning from ear to ear, tell their own story. The over excitable texts at 11:30 this morning continuing to rave about it do the same.

What was so fantastic about it, is that it was absolutely attention commanding, all the way from start to finish. With a small band, no costume changes, no sets, just her, for 2 hours non-stop, there wasn't a single moment of boredom. And the sheer rush of the highlights (and there were dozens!) was really, really incredible.

I really can't complain about the setlist, because, as she herself said, there were so many tracks they could have picked, that stuff clearly had to fall by the wayside. And it really didn't matter to be honest if a particular favourite wasn't there. You knew what was there had been carefully balanced between the stuff she liked, the stuff the fans wanted - and the song her Dad wanted her to sing :D And that in itself summed the whole thing up perfectly - the whole thing was an enormous thank you, in the best possible way, in both directions.

This sounds like an unhinged loon review, but it really was an amazing, amazing night. The feeling hasn't worn off yet and I hope it doesn't for a good while yet.

Last edited:
And from Kylie HQ's perspective it's not like they are hoping to clear up on last minute ticket sales for a tour with many dates left over a period of weeks, is it?

I mean I can see to the casual fan that they may have an INTEREST in the latest Kylie tour and reading about it. But the whole point is that this tour wasn't for them; and if they had read anything about it (and let's face it, if you were going to have got tickets originally you'd have had to have read about it to know it was happening), you'd KNOW exactly what the gig was about.

Usually I take LOON reviews with a pinch of salt, for acts I like or not. But for a tour like this, it's the only opinion that matters to me.

I'm a loon who has been disillusioned of late (well a couple of years then!) but she totally won me over last night. I don't really care what she does next or even if I like it or not; all I know is that I'll be eternally grateful for the show she put on at the Hammersmith Apollo on one rainy evening in April 2012.

I'm a loon who has been disillusioned of late (well a couple of years then!) but she totally won me over last night. I don't really care what she does next or even if I like it or not; all I know is that I'll be eternally grateful for the show she put on at the Hammersmith Apollo on one rainy evening in April 2012.
Bang on the money Edward. I've had two blips with her - one around Body Language and one around Aphrodite, both for very different reasons, some of which were probably related to myself.

Last night was, hideous cliché aside, absolutely unforgettable though and a real sign of how great it feels to have followed her for all this time.

Last night was...a real sign of how great it feels to have followed her for all this time.

Totally. It felt like a heartfelt and personal thank you to the 10 year old in me for the many years of fandom. :shy:

I love this reaction to said review on Say Hey:

"In the whole, wide, fascinating and multifarious world of music, what kind of listener is intimately acquainted with every strand of Kylie Minogue’s back catalogue? They really ought to get out more."

What a douche-bag, really? To put the record straight, yes, I know a load of Kylie songs that most other people haven't heard of, but I also know a handful of Puccini operas, I love Maria Callas, I like folk, I like Bob fucking Dylan, I even like some Gregorian chant. And I'm just ONE Kylie fan - imagine what all the other Kylie fans in the world like too. Most of these songs - particularly songs like 'Always Find the Time' - remind me of points in my life. Plus, they're ACE! (Not all of them but some of them).

Unfortunately, the ANTI-Tour wasn't made for him, and maybe he was enraged cos he was shut out of the experience.

Last edited:
Completely aside from the fact it was a Kylie gig review, I find it astonishing that a music critic and former musician thinks that fans of ANY artist should feel happy to be constricted to songs from their back catalogue that some faceless A&R team have deemed worthy of single release / album inclusion, when their only motivation can be for commercial reasons. It's the mentality of someone who doesn't even like music that much.

Completely aside from the fact it was a Kylie gig review, I find it astonishing that a music critic and former musician thinks that fans of ANY artist should feel happy to be constricted to songs from their back catalogue that some faceless A&R team have deemed worthy of single release / album inclusion, when their only motivation can be for commercial reasons. It's the mentality of someone who doesn't even like music that much.

I totally agree, and I have a lot of respect for Kylie AND her management for putting this together. I can understand people saying "I wish more acts did this" but I really can't imagine it was an easy sell to bring to fruition. Ok, it's not like she was doing 20 dates or anything, but approaching any tour company and suggesting a production which strips away EVERYTHING that would typically sell tickets in massive amounts (bar the artist herself) can't be all THAT appealing.

That review is not just totally missing the point but insulting to just about ANY music fan... Kylie loon or not. I can only echo what everyone else has said but the notion that the only worthwhile songs in an artist's catalog are the hits is ludicrous and I seriously question HIS appreciation for music.

I might as well go ahead and delete everything but my GREATEST HITS COMPILATIONS cause apparently having anything else in my iTunes library makes me a SAD LOSER

I think Kylie should start doing aftershows Prince-style so she can have an Anti Tour like show whenever she feels like it like he's been doing for decades.

I think Kylie should start doing aftershows Prince-style so she can have an Anti Tour like show whenever she feels like it like he's been doing for decades.

Yes! She should start booking out the IndigO2 alongside the O2 every time she tours.

We're beginning a Twitter row

@danpeachey Every audience enjoys every show because they are ticket paying fans. I go to 100s of shows of which I am not a paid up fan... that is the job. Taste is subjective. Reviews are opinions. In my view, that was one of the 5 worst concerts I've ever seen.

:manson:

One of the 5 worst concerts he's been to yet he didn't have the guts to give it a one star rating? Idiot.

He seems most outraged by the fact that the audience were lapping it up. If taste is subjective, why does he find that so difficult to comprehend?

I paid to see Aphrodite: Les Folies, yet I wasn't massively enamoured by that. This guy is spouting bullshit.

Last edited:
Just hit him with EDDY'S comment and

"I hate the star system but I gave an extra star because clearly it was a successful show for both audience & artist."

Yet I'm supposed to feel ASHAMED for that? FUCK OFF...

Don't forget the 5 star review in The Independent. Try not to focus on that one negative review. He's still a twat though.

Don't forget the 5 star review in The Independent. Try not to focus on that one negative review. He's still a twat though.

Don't get me wrong, I don't normally get "looned up" in stuff like this- bad reviews might be worth ranting about on Moopy a bit but nothing else, but this is just plainly SHIT journalism...

Reminds me of the NME review of Invicible with a track starring Chris Rock and the "Rock" song 'Don't Walk Away' - although the actual review wasn't that bad, but the guy clearly hadn't even listened to the album so maybe that's why :D

Who cares about critics now??? Who cares about reviews??? I saw only 8 Kylie shows so far (Dublin - Showgirl, Manchester - Home coming (twice), X tour (Berlin and Prague), Les follies (Dublin, London) and her Anti Tour. I think that the best place to see her is the UK, Ireland and Australia. She's the Queen there! The Anti Tour was the best show I have seen so far. I love all her shows but this time it was truly amazing. It was a retrospective for us - fans! Still remember 88,89,90 ... in Poland. It was impossible to buy the CD, we had to buy piracy! only cassettes then. Hearing Always find the time, Made in heaven, Enjoy yourself, One boy girl I was thrilled and excited. Still remember me being a small boy and listening to these tracks from those cassettes, buying international magazines hoping for a small kylie pic and so on. It' like a mystery to hear her singing It's no secretr after all those years. Every single moment was worth spending almost 400 pounds (the ticket, accomodation, flight) . I wish every artist treated fans like kylie does!

Tears On My Pillow (For F...in' critics 2012 remix)

You don't remember HER!
But we remember you (your words)
T'was not so long ago
You broke our hearts in two

[CHORUS:]
Tears on our pillows
Pain in our hearts
Caused by you

[2:]
If we could start anew
We wouldn't hestitate
We'd gladly f... you up
And forget about you

[3:]
KYLIE is not a gadget
KYLIE is not a toy
When you find the one you love
She'll fill your heart with joy

[2:]

[x3:]
Caused by you

This comment under The Guardian review is even worse than the Neil McCormick review and epitomises everything I hate about media types sometimes.

Yes, I was dragged along to this - fortunately I did not have to pay as the management were desperate to fill the auditorium so gave away a lot of tickets to music biz executives like my 'husband'. Otherwise it would have been 2/3rds empty and the unwashed would have been in touching distance of La Minogue - obviously unacceptable.

It was the performance we had come to expect. Full of kitsch and camp and somewhat sagging glamour.

At some point probably around 1990 Kylie's management told her she needed to appeal to gay extrovert men, and she's been mining this seam for nearly a quarter of a century, despite it being played out long ago when homosexuality entered the mainstream culture.

So now we have someone bearing more than passing appearing to Vera Duckworth behaving like a 14 year old girl drunk on stolen vodka whilst miming to a backing track as her make up fades under the spotlight revealing a face rendered immobile by Botox.

Kylie, it's time to leave the stage.

This comment under The Guardian review is even worse than the Neil McCormick review and epitomises everything I hate about media types sometimes.

It's obviously a Kylie hating troll. I very much doubt he/she has any connections to the media or even that they were there in the first place.

Sounds like one of those DISMAL TYPES that are STILL SPOUTING THE SAME OLD SHITE they were 10 years ago* and can probably be found at MADONNANATION

*yes I know, pot kettle and all that :shy:

I don't think I can bear to read the reviews posted. I am not even a big Kylie fan or anything, but I know I would probably love this show. I think it's a brilliant idea and that it's fantastic she's done it. It's for her fans and people who like her lesser known songs; she's worked so hard for 25 years she can legitimately put on a show like this. The timing seems almost perfect somehow IMO.

People really are AWFUL sometimes. :gross:

Last edited:
All of these sad journos should admit that they're just jealous of Kylie's longevity and the fact that she can fill venues up even when she sings songs that were never part of her albums. Beat that.

I love the assumption that Kylie wasn't pure pop before the 90s. :D

The tour recording is being put on iTunes within the next few weeks :disco:

Just audio? Better than nothing! I will just be happy to be able to relive one of the happiest nights of my life!

Oh well. You had to have been there I guess.

That video lacks any of the atmosphere there was at the London show. Bit of a damp squib in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom