Avril Lavigne - Goodbye Lullaby + Avril Lavigne (SYNC LIVE NOW)

I'm not emotionally ready for the traumas of Hello Kitty.

I was cherry picking this album last week and this came on by accident. I almost fell off my bike.

the first minute is actually fine (ish?!) but before the halfway point the song TOTALLY runs out of ideas. it's the longest fucking 3:16 of ANYONE'S LIFE.
It's only 3:16 :D :o

Probably because it serves non stop its entire running time

10 Rock n Roll
09 Here's to Never Growing Up
09 17
08 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
11 Give You What You Like
09 Bad Girl
06 Hello Kitty

You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet is a bit of a breather moment (but still a borderline-banger). the slight vocoder/stuttery electro flourishes don't quite work in the song's favour imo. but we're back on track.

09 Rock N Roll
10 Here's to Never Growing Up
09 17
09 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
10 Give You What You Like
09 Bad Girl
03 Hello Kitty
07.5 You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet makes me sad I always turned this album off by Hello Kitty :(

It's a bop!

the adlibs at the end weirdly remind me of Shania. you ain't seen nothin' (yet!).

10 Rock n Roll
09 17
08 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
09 Bad Girl
06 Hello Kitty
08 You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

"Sippin' on Sunshine" is cuuuute. Love the "WOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOOOOOooooo!"s Very summery.

Sippin' On Sunshine is totally in the vain of HTNGU / Bitchin' Summer. same team. love this carefree, Cali, top-down sound for her. so breezy and fun. this is actually revealing itself to be maybe her best record front to back?

09 Rock N Roll
09 17
09 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
09 Bad Girl
03 Hello Kitty
08 Sippin' On Sunshine

10 Rock n Roll
09 17
08 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
09 Bad Girl
06 Hello Kitty
09 Sippin' on Sunshine

god the songwriting is so strong on this album. all of the melodies feel bulletproof. I don't think she gets enough credit for that.

Hello Heartache is another one I've been sleeping on. absolutely towering chorus :disco: she sounds AMAZING. ugh. @POP! what have we done to deserve her. I think HH could've been a very decent second or third single choice.

09 Rock N Roll
09 17
09 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
09 Bad Girl
03 Hello Kitty
08 Sippin' On Sunshine
09.5 Hello Heartache

I may have never even heard the second half of this album ever (aside from "Hush Hush") but I'm impressed by how instant and easy it is. Hooks aplenty!

10 Rock n Roll
09 17
08 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
09 Bad Girl
06 Hello Kitty
09 Sippin' on Sunshine
08 Hello Heartache

Falling Fast slows things down to give a nice breather. I think for a late-album filler-ish moment it's actually really good. I'm just really vibing hard with this album and have only love for it. the outro is so pretty!

09 Rock N Roll
09 17
09 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
09 Bad Girl
03 Hello Kitty
08 Sippin' On Sunshine
09.5 Hello Heartache
07.5 Falling Fast

"Falling Fast" is a little dull compared to melodies that preceded it but still very pretty.

10 Rock n Roll
09 17
08 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
09 Bad Girl
06 Hello Kitty
09 Sippin' on Sunshine
08 Hello Heartache
07 Falling Fast

Hush Hush is a classic Avril ballad moment. I don't know why but it reminds me of Evanescence, specifically My Immortal in the chorus and the piano riff. but a little less vulnerable/nakedly emotional. a really strong closer.

09 Rock N Roll
09 17
09 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
09 Bad Girl
03 Hello Kitty
08 Sippin' On Sunshine
09.5 Hello Heartache
07.5 Falling Fast
09 Hush Hush

should we do How You Remind Me to finish?

"Hush Hush" is a triumph. I was in awe from the original deep cut sync and still am!

Hush Hush is a classic Avril ballad moment. I don't know why but it reminds me of Evanescence, specifically My Immortal in the chorus and the piano riff. but a little less vulnerable/nakedly emotional. a really strong closer.

09 Rock N Roll
09 17
09 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
09 Bad Girl
03 Hello Kitty
08 Sippin' On Sunshine
09.5 Hello Heartache
07.5 Falling Fast
09 Hush Hush

should we do How You Remind Me to finish?
And maybe "Fly"

10 Rock n Roll
09 17
08 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
09 Bad Girl
06 Hello Kitty
09 Sippin' on Sunshine
08 Hello Heartache
07 Falling Fast
10 Hush Hush

I wonder if Avril is itching to do a covers album with all these bonus track covers. Most of her choices are shit though.

"Hush Hush" is a triumph. I was in awe from the original deep cut sync and still am!

And maybe "Fly"
it's not on my tracklist! it's on Spotify separately though. I've never heard that!

it's not on my tracklist! it's on Spotify separately though. I've never heard that!
It was technically for a different project (Special Olympics Charity single) but came at the end of this album campaign in 2015. Figured would be good not to end on "How You Remind Me" :eyes:

Although I kind of like the instrumental/production treatment she's given HYRM. It reminds me of "What I Am" that 90s song Emma Bunton covered.

I wonder if Avril is itching to do a covers album with all these bonus track covers. Most of her choices are shit though.
I guess she did it to pay tribute to her husband. personally I fucking love this cover. she gives the song a gravity it didn't have before and suits her to a T vocally.

09 Rock N Roll
09 17
09 Bitchin' Summer
08 Let Me Go
09 Bad Girl
03 Hello Kitty
08 Sippin' On Sunshine
09.5 Hello Heartache
07.5 Falling Fast
09 Hush Hush
08.5 How You Remind Me

8.35 average, but only a lower score than GL because of Hello Kitty. I have decided this is (actually quite easily) her best record and I plan to spend LOADS OF TIME WITH IT. this has been a long overdue reappraisal.

there's a light inside of all of us :eyes:

well this started out well - even before we got to "so if you ever feel like giving up"

I really enjoyed this album more than I thought! I usually only give the time of day to singles and "Hush Hush" but there is so much to love on it. Her best since Under My Skin!

I won't rate Fly because it feels cruel to be mean about a song made for the Special Olympics (also is it just me or is that a derogatory name?!). :eyes:

Shall we be completists and do Head Above Water in February before the album release later that month?

thanks for joining @POP! and @RJN! highly enjoyable

we could HAW (even the acronym is shit) standalone before Love Sux comes out, or as a double bill with Love Sux on release weekend?

I won't rate Fly because it feels cruel to be mean about a song made for the Special Olympics (also is it just me or is that a derogatory name?!). :eyes:
I think like anything that name has acquired a stigma over time. But yeah probably time for a re-brand!

thanks for joining @POP! and @RJN! highly enjoyable

we could HAW (even the acronym is shit) standalone before Love Sux comes out, or as a double bill with Love Sux on release weekend?
I would be interested in another double bill with Love Sux at the end. We still need to get around to Unbreakable and Rhythm Nation (did we do that?) by Janft too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom