Charli XCXssentials / general charles chat

I was pretty late on the vroom vroom train (think Charles fell off my radar for a bit until about 2017) but obviously it's majestic TRASH

Reactions: COB
There's something to be said for how well she can SELL a song like this, I think.

next up we have FOCUS, one of 2 songs featured from her "random droplets" era in 2018 made up of songs that should've been on her 3rd studio album XCX World which ultimately never happened because crazed stans hacked her hard drive and LEAKED EVERYTHING.

There's something to be said for how well she can SELL a song like this, I think.
she sounds really good riding this kind of beat. I think the song has actually held up really well. def a v underrated number among her pantheon (isn't it all?!)

starting out with a real run of bangers before we get to the first sultry midtempo section.

don't be shy @Soldi, join us. you're Charli's target audience! *mimes halfheartedly on TikTok*

Number 1 Angel is actually my fave Charli body of work other than the debut and it's well represented tonight. Roll With Me is pure filthy energy and I love it.

yehhhyyeahhhyyeahh

I did not know that. you'll probably be teaching me a lot tonight cob hun'ty.

slowing it down a touch for BACKSEAT. for a long time I paid this song dust and i'm still not sure it's what I wanted from a Charli v Carly joint, but it's a bit of a SEXY SIZZLE and I've come round to it now.

• Love
I really wish I'd been at the Pop 2 show she did in London - Carly wasn't there, but Rina Sawayama filled in for her bits with new lyrics on the second verse (there's a potato quality video SOMEWHERE on YouTube, or at least there used to be).

Where are we up to? I want to hop in the lavender lamborghini?

Cross You Out is one of a very small handful I included from self-titled, which I think is her weakest project overall. but I love this song. so pillowy and beaut. Sky sounds tremendous.

WHAT is this bitch doing wasting her talent on one single every five years? ugh.

The middle eight on this is very special for me, it makes me feel quite FLUTTERY and I'm not entirely sure why.

I'm just glad to be reminded Sky Ferreira still exists.

on with a vengeance to 5 in the Morning, aka the best of the DROPLET ERA. pretty grimy vibe to this one, a bit trap-lite but make it BASEMENT AFTERPARTY.

I'm goin' all in... :disco:

I remember when this came out, I thought the mixtapes were her getting all this out of her system but NO :disco:

And the video featuring Charli mincing around a moodily-lit warehouse is obviously deeply fabulous.

every line of every verse of XXXTC is flat out ICONIC FILTH

I'm a sex witch fat pussy HEX!

• Love
...and when I'm in the town,
runnin' round town,
bitches KNOW not to PLAY ME

:kim:

obviously though it's a relief that Charles has the best verse by a mile.

double drop with orange TESLAAAAHHHH *demented giggle*

Pop 2 got more than one meaning :eyes:
a lyric!

now onto one of my personal top 3 XCX, Nuclear Seasons

despite being pure 80s retro nutrition this still sounds like the sound of some glorious distant future to me. so bombastic. amazing vocal. she's more or less disowned the debut era but this feels very prototypical for her later dabbles in PC Music/hyperpop to MY EARS.

Nuclear Seasons really is UNDENIABLE, even as a fan of later period Charlotte.

I do forget just how much some of the earlier stuff could fit pretty easily onto her recent albums.

wanna taste your heart, don't interfere
into the light we'll disappear

there's something very Nintendo Game Boy (but make it POP) about Take My Hand that I fucking love. mammoth synths!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom