Coronavirus

Are you worried about contracting coronavirus?

• Yes, I am absolutely terrified

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Yes, I am slightly concerned

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • I am neither concerned or unconcerned

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • No, I am slightly unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • No, I am totally unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Bring back the old poll

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Charlotte Awbrey tits out doing the Macarena

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I believe VoR is evil

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
I think the question if a 3rd wave happens is whether it matters. The vulnerable groups are vaccinated, the rest of us have a vanishingly small chance of serious problems. I hate to be that guy but perhaps at some point "we have to learn to live with the virus"? We can't spend the rest of our lives in fear and not actually living.
This is it. It feels like this extended lockdown (and it is!) while the vaccines are happening really should be the last, in lieu of a major twist that I've not heard about yet.

the newly announced plan here is that there will be a gradual re-opening over the course of the next two months with everything open once everyone over 50 has been jabbed

which means I still have to work from home until at least mid-May and then it will still probably only be one or two days in the office

outdoor serving from April 21st :beer: I expect mild carnage. instead of hoarding loo rolls people will be pushing each other off café chairs to get a glass of Chardonnay

most activities will require a corona passport. not ideal but I'll take it

I think the question if a 3rd wave happens is whether it matters. The vulnerable groups are vaccinated, the rest of us have a vanishingly small chance of serious problems. I hate to be that guy but perhaps at some point "we have to learn to live with the virus"? We can't spend the rest of our lives in fear and not actually living.
So long as we don't get a new variant that fucks over the vaccines, yes I think this will be the way.

Meanwhile...

Johnson: There will be a third wave from Europe
Tory Backbenchers: OPEN EVERYTHING UP NOW!

Fucking hell.

Summer is a natural lull for such viruses. By autumn most of the population will be vaccinated. I can't see how we're not coming out of it.

I presume there are important people thinking of longer-term plans, in terms of limiting future outbreaks. How long do the vaccines LAST? If they're like flu jab, then we're still going to need some kind of further protection as even Europe and other areas are on a slower pace of vaccinations, and we know how this shit spreads. I'm gonna presume at the very least that the face masks won't disappear and that it will never truly go away.

Even when Europe/America/Australia are fully vaccinated (or close to it), won't new strains keep appearing throughout the world. If Europe is struggling so much, it seems like it must be going even slower in countries without the same resources. Maybe I'm wrong, but surely the whole world needs herd immunity

Edit: That sounded a bit callous. Its also important that people throughout the world's lives and health are protected

I like the slow easing this time around. Yes things are going GREAT (maybe too great? You wonder what the catch is) but already ZOE is showing things creeping back up again and this gives us a chance to stop and think every few weeks instead of playing brinkmanship with a virus all the time. Hopefully as the vaccines get stuck in the rest of us the numbers will creep back down again. However I think it's mostly kids now.

One answer to my own question of whether it matters if we do get a third wave - obviously, the more it spreads the more opportunity it has to mutate. That's just how virology works, each replication has a built in chance of mutation. With that comes the possibility of one that completely evades immunity and sends us back to square one, but the scientists seem to think this is very unlikely.

Last I heard, Dr Campbell was still of the view that we might even achieve eradication since it shares so many similarities to SARS-CoV-1, which also by the way has been proven to have something like 27+ years of immunity so far...

Summer is a natural lull for such viruses. By autumn most of the population will be vaccinated. I can't see how we're not coming out of it.

I presume there are important people thinking of longer-term plans, in terms of limiting future outbreaks. How long do the vaccines LAST? If they're like flu jab, then we're still going to need some kind of further protection as even Europe and other areas are on a slower pace of vaccinations, and we know how this shit spreads. I'm gonna presume at the very least that the face masks won't disappear and that it will never truly go away.
You're right. Immunity to coronaviruses in general is short-lived, and we don't know yet how long immunity from the vaccines will last because we don't have that data yet as the vaccines are so new.

Best case scenario is we'll need boosters every few years (unlikely but let's hope), worst case scenario is we'll need another vaccine in under 12 months. Rolling out another vaccination programme like we're doing now will be costly and unsustainable for the NHS with waiting lists getting longer and longer.

I can't see masks suddenly disappearing either.

Let us just hope for the best.

god if face masks are sticking around I'm getting my EYES LASERED. CANNOT DEAL with the glasses fog.

I take my glasses off when the mask goes on, but can’t deal much longer with the thrice daily PANIC, of thinking I’ve lost them every time I get on a bus/enter a shop/buy a coffee.

I sometimes have to drive people around for work, so I need my mask and my glasses and it’s the worst

I take my glasses off when the mask goes on, but can’t deal much longer with the thrice daily PANIC, of thinking I’ve lost them every time I get on a bus/enter a shop/buy a coffee.
You need a chain love. I'm sure you could pull it off :disco:

cutcaster-photo-100021275-Very-interested-older-man.jpg

I think masks moving forward is a relatively realistic ask in most scenarios but indefinite social distancing with everyone outside of your household is straight up unsustainable.

Reactions: RJN
I haven't worn my glasses at work in a year because of that. Though sometimes I feel I really need to give my eyes some rest from contacts :(

When I'm at work and wearing my mask I now just move the monitors forward on the desk rather than struggle with glasses.

I'll have to give the wipes a go, I tried a spray which didn't seem to do very much. Unfortunately I do tend towards mouth breathing, which I don't think helps.

A search is under way in the Republic of Ireland after three people absconded from a mandatory quarantine hotel in north Dublin on Saturday.

Two people remain missing as RTÉ News reports one of those who left the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Santry without permission has since been found.

People arriving into the Republic from a list of 33 'high-risk' countries, or who land without a negative PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test must undergo 14 days quarantine.

FFS, how hard is it to stay put for 2 weeks?

One of ours abseiled out a window and went to a supermarket to buy booze when we first had it enforced, but the nice chap returned on his own accord with his booze :)

Do we think that we are going to get hit with a 3rd wave? I just need some of the more informative Moopy members to educate me so I can prepare myself mentally.

What is happening in France @Dark Carnival. Did you guys even come out of lockdown and it is going haywire again?
The last proper lockdown we had was in November and since it's just been a completely useless 6 pm curfew. Calls have been made since January to impose a proper lockdown to avoid a third wave (mostly due to the arrival of the Kent variant) mid-March. But our epidemiologist in charge Macron decided he knows better and kept everything (well schools and work places) open. Just as expected, the third wave is here and it's all a bit too late now.

Mildly agog France has fucked up with this one. Despite having a human scarecrow in charge we still appear to have managed, at the very least, to have got a grip of it all in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom