Create New National Final Forum? (formerly: Rename Melodifestivalen forum to National Final Forum)

Create new National Final Forum (with Melfest staying in its own forum)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZenGiraffe

Who is SHE though?
Pronouns
He/Him
Edit: Following discussion below, Poll Question has now changed

Mentioned yesterday, I think it's a good idea, but I don't want to just do it unilaterally so here is a POLL FOR CONSENT

Last edited:
I'm in favour. It's not like the forum is buzzing with Melfest content.

I actually don’t think that’s a good idea. There aren’t many MF forums on the net in English and no one is going to be searching for a “national final forum”. It’s an SEO and search/ new member disaster, surely?

The MF is definitely a standalone thing. If you want a national final forum separately, well that’s another matter, but personally, what is the Eurovision forum going to become off season? That’s going to lose its buzzing hive of activity itself…

Firm no.

And @ZenGiraffe - you know more tech-y stuff than me. If that search/SEO point isn’t valid for whatever reason, feel free to shoot me down…

I’d much rather have a separate new subforum (this is a website that has found room for a subforum dedicated to ‘Enya’).

Melodifestivalen is a flagship subforum, dedicated to a contest that has seen at least 20 (?) of us physically travel to Sweden and spend hundreds of pounds on Swedish artists. We also have decades’ worth of historical posts.

I’d much rather have a separate new subforum (this is a website that has found room for a subforum dedicated to ‘Enya’).

Melodifestivalen is a flagship subforum, dedicated to a contest that has seen at least 20 (?) of us physically travel to Sweden and spend hundreds of pounds on Swedish artists. We also have decades’ worth of historical posts.

This too.

The more I think about it, the fact that MF transcends just “national final status” for so many is a real reason to keep it separate.

The fact last night was the first time we separated the Norwegian heats into separate threads says it ALL.

And @ZenGiraffe - you know more tech-y stuff than me. If that search/SEO point isn’t valid for whatever reason, feel free to shoot me down…
Nah, I don't think it's an irrelevant point, but doing a quick Google of "Melodifestivalen forum" the popjustice threads themselves come above ours, so I don't think it's a massive difference either way. And Google is constantly tweaking it's algorithm anyway so there is no hard and fast rules with these things

Yeah I'm a no as well, sometimes a short thread about a national selection becomes the overall thread about that country's entry for the year, and we'd start to get in a tangle about splitting threads or moving threads from the NF to the main forum.

And on the SEO point, no-one's going to search for a "National Final" forum - they'll either search for "Eurovision" or (say) "Melodi Grand Prix" specifically.

How many posters have joined us in the past few years through Melfest threads anyway?

Nah, I don't think it's an irrelevant point, but doing a quick Google of "Melodifestivalen forum" the popjustice threads themselves come above ours, so I don't think it's a massive difference either way. And Google is constantly tweaking it's algorithm anyway so there is no hard and fast rules with these things

Sorry, I disagree with that still :D

Whilst they’re always tweaking (true), “national final forum” is completely faceless and generic. It says fuck all. We’ve got so many posters through the MF forum over the years. We shouldn’t lose that.

And who wants to go to Popjustice anyway? :D

How many posters have joined us in the past few years through Melfest threads anyway?

How many posters do we get full stop? We should do all we can to continue that.

But over the years there have been plenty.

I’m definitely a no.

Not necessarily because of anything sacred about Melfest itself (although those points have been covered already and are valid), but I like being able to look back on a country’s thread and track their Eurovision journey from their national final announcement to our reactions the day after the final.

I guess for big multi-week selections like Melodi Grand Prix that draw in plenty of viewers it kind of makes sense to have separate threads, but I wouldn’t want them to be siphoned off in a different sub forum.

Reactions: D5K
I think this discussion has rendered the poll futile. It needs to be a wider discussion that includes a sub forum, right?

Cause, as I said, I’m not against that at all.

Reactions: Hak
The thing is, realistically the only national finals that rise close to Melfest's level are San Remo and Norway's MGP.

San Remo fans seem to enjoy the chaos of it all being in one thread. I agree that most of the others can probably be contained in the Eurovision forum, so how about just promoting Norway and making this the Melodifestivalen and Melodi Grand Prix forum?

Or the Melodifestivalen and other Nordic Finals Forum, but that name probably needs some workshopping...

This is the thing… I feel like Norway and Sanremo are the only finals that come close to having the same level of discussion around them, and even then 90% of that is during the shows. There isn’t a whole culture on the forum surrounding them like there is with Melfest.

The thing is, realistically the only national finals that rise close to Melest's level are San Remo and Norway's MGP.

San Remo fans seem to enjoy the chaos of it all being in one thread. I agree that most of the others can probably be contained in the Eurovision forum, so how about just promoting Norway and making this the Melodifestivalen and Melodi Grand Prix forum?

Or the Melodifestivalen and other Nordic Finals Forum, but that name probably needs some workshopping...

Again, I thought “Scandi finals” for a bit, but surely MF and MGP are just on a different level. If we do this, what are we doing this for, 5 threads a year?

We could also just keep the name as is and have a tacit agreement that the Norwegian semi finals naturally sit here as well...

What was the issue with leaving the Norwegian things in the main forum?

Another argument against…

There’s always a slightly awkward transitional couple of days when we migrate over to the main forum to talk about the Melodifestivalen winner in its own Eurovision thread.

Imagine that for 20 countries.

Reactions: D5K
What was the issue with leaving the Norwegian things in the main forum?

Personally, I think that's a bit messy. I like having the main forum primarily for one country thread per year plus main show related chat.

It's not a hill I'm going to die on or anything, I just felt the MGP Semi thread breathed a bit better in this forum.

What will we do about Una Voce de San Marino?

• Love
Reactions: VoR
That clearly needs its own sub-forum. Think of the SEO!

Not convinced that my perfectly reasoned and polite arguments required a piss take considering you want a new forum for FIVE NEW THREADS A YEAR, but there you go…

Not convinced that my perfectly reasoned and polite arguments required a piss take considering you want a new forum for FIVE NEW THREADS A YEAR, but there you go…

It was a joke dear! :D

Also I don’t think a forum dedicated to Norway would work at all! I just think it’d make more sense to incorporate them into the Melfest forum.

Take a breath, this isn’t that deep.

What's the Eurovision forum for if not the national final topics?

We're not buzzing with Melfest topics because it hasn't started yet and frankly it's going to be a dry year because they're hosting.

A compromise would be Melodifestivalen and other National Finals. But I still think you're moving too much out of the main Eurovision forum, which is pretty much our FLAGSHIP FORUM.

Me :D

I find the idea of adding a national finals subforum intriguing but not as a substitute for Melodifestivalen. It can be a bit confusing when national finals with 30+ entrants collapses into talk about just this one entry after the national final is over.

Instead of entirely replacing the branding, I would be on board renaming this subforum to 'Melodifestivalen & Friends' or 'Melodifestivalen, MGP & UMK' to at least preserve a connection with the flagship event.

Last edited:
Take a breath, this isn’t that deep.

And don’t patronise me when I was, I repeat, perfectly polite and not in any way overreacting.

My “breath”, if any, was needed at your snarky response and fuck all to do with this matter whatsoever.

Another argument against…

There’s always a slightly awkward transitional couple of days when we migrate over to the main forum to talk about the Melodifestivalen winner in its own Eurovision thread.

Imagine that for 20 countries.
I enjoy it. It's part of the grieving and/or acceptance period!

Can I make a suggestion based on what they do on another popular Eurovision forum?

They have a separate thread for every live national final show so they’re easily found, but then the following day, they’re merged into the main country thread so you can still track the chat from start to finish.

I definitely can’t see us needing to do that for every show, and we might not need a whole subforum like they have, but it could be a solution to the original issue that prompted this?

Exactly… basically all that is happening in the Eurovision world right now is national finals.
Quite. Yes it explodes in May, but it's a fantastic home to all the other national finals and general entry discussions between January and April.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom