Do What U Want DEAD after R Kelly Allegations

I will say I think removing this song from streaming platforms and iTunes is great because (i) it should never have been made with him on it in the first place and (ii) any money it still puts in his pocket is helping fund those pay-offs to the girls he abuses and then silences so I'm happy enough for it to be gone ASAP.

But the timing is pretty hard to overlook and clearly suggests an element of self-gain which is not cute.

I've never even heard this.

I'm also tired of us being asked to demand musicians be perfect and have the time and energy to put to the front of their to-do list whatever today's hashtag happens to be.

R. Kelly is a cunt. We've all worked with a cunt in our time.

And I was calling him a paedo when the rest of you were singing "I Believe I Can Fly" at karaoke.

this pisses me off to no end not just cause R. Kelly but because DWUW is an actual bop that was much needed when dear old Gags was on the wane, it was a highlight from the parent album, it was a chart hit and you know, if he had been featured on Jewels & Drugs, Manicure or Dope instead I couldn't give A FLYING TOSS if she was erasing those from her history (and surely the general public wouldn't mind either) in fact she would be doing us a very big favor but for this to happen to a good song is a great loss :(

Let me play my physical copy of A*R*T*P*O*P while I sob in silence :(

And I was calling him a paedo when the rest of you were singing "I Believe I Can Fly" at karaoke.

Well it was OPENLY KNOWN during the Aaliyah period, so let’s face it, you didn’t exactly have the INSIDE TRACK THERE, love :D

R. Kelly's notoriety and the apparent inability to hold him to account is so PUZZLING.

Wasn't Ignition (Remix) a huge hit whilst he was actually embroiled in a court case? It was SUCH a double standard.

Whitney Houston to be EXHUMED and FORCED to apologise onscreen for recording 'I Look To You' :evil:

What's the opposite of a gift that keeps giving? Because the ARTPOP era really was THAT.

R. Kelly's notoriety and the apparent inability to hold him to account is so PUZZLING.

Wasn't Ignition (Remix) a huge hit whilst he was actually embroiled in a court case? It was SUCH a double standard.

Yeah but look at all of it- the BBC, Jacko, R Kelly... literally no one gave two fucks about doing anything about it. The whole #metoo thing changed everything...

Has R Kelly been prosecuted for all this? I have heard this coming up every few years, but then he just releases another album. BAFFLING.

Has R Kelly been prosecuted for all this? I have heard this coming up every few years, but then he just releases another album. BAFFLING.
I vaguely remember him in court and being found non guilty of some stuff.

10 Aura
10 Venus
08 G.U.Y

09 Sexxx Dreams
03 Jewels n' Drugs (featuring T.I., Too Short and Twista)
00 Manicure
10 Do What U Want (featuring R. Kelly) :evil:
07 ARTPOP
00 Swine
08 Donatella
10 Fashion!
06 Mary Jane Holland
00 Dope
09 Gypsy
09 Applause

08 Aura
07 Venus
08 G.U.Y
08 Sexxx Dreams
03 Jewels n' Drugs (featuring T.I., Too Short and Twista)
08 Manicure
08 ARTPOP
10 Swine
08 Donatella
07 Fashion!
07 Mary Jane Holland
00 Dope
10 Gypsy
05 Applause

Last edited:
Yeah but look at all of it- the BBC, Jacko, R Kelly... literally no one gave two fucks about doing anything about it. The whole #metoo thing changed everything...

Whilst I don't disagree that #metoo has changed things, I would say that Michael Jackson was held to account for his (alleged) actions much more than R. Kelly. Perhaps not initially, but things definitely snowballed in the '00s and he was never able to escape those accusations.

Of course, he was a much bigger star and I fully accept that the accusations were probably a convenient means of tearing him down, rather than it actually being a quest for justice.

Well it was OPENLY KNOWN during the Aaliyah period, so let’s face it, you didn’t exactly have the INSIDE TRACK THERE, love :D

Yeah, that was why!!

British people need to be kicked in the metaphorical arse to care about anything. Half this country thought Gary Glitter invented paedophilia but now think it was Jimmy Savile.

Chris Brown has had greater success after it came out that he beat up Rihanna than he had before.

People are shit and need to be led around by the hashtag.

Can't be bothered rating all of it but still 10,000,000 for 'Mary Jane Holland' and 10 for 'Applause' :disco:

Reactions: COB
Anyway I'm not fussed by all this really, but losing the Christina version is a bit of a bummer.

At least we'll still have all the gifs from that PERF :disco:

tumblr_mxzlg2Vt481qjgnc9o2_500.gif

He's totally right, why is she doing it NOW? I can't wait for the backlash.

Because the tv programme was on last week and the same media outlets were having a BASH at her!

It's FUCK ALL to do with her trying to "win an Oscar" :D

She has stolen the headlines away from Glenn today though.

AND she's not actually removed DWYW from streaming outlets yet - why not wait until it is removed?

I'm a big Gaga and A Star Is Born fan incidentally and actively WANT her to win an Oscar, but I'm also cynical about the timing of the statement!

I think @Sheena is right on the timing. Surely the catalyst for this is the Surviving R Kelly documentary, and the producers releasing information that Gaga didn't return their calls, which then she got heat from. So it seems she can't really do right for doing wrong here

Equally she could have just quietly pulled it from streaming, and waited until someone noticed and tweeted her about it, it'd have been a classier move

What Shee said. Over the last week, it's all the Twitter-brigade have been talking about. Ever since the producer of the R.Kelly doc listed the famous names that refused to get involved in the documentary.

i think it's very bad timing for gaga. there's no way she's gonna come out unscathed.

as for the mj analogy - do we think people were more outraged over him because the alleged victims were boys and/or younger? (straight) guys seem to always have gotten an easier ride for sexual "transgressions".

kinda off topic but i was quite saddened to see bowie's name mentioned in a recent piece about "sexual predators of yesteryear".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom