Drag Race UK S2

Another take that some reality contestants could do with receiving is... 'Maybe there's a reason that I'm the public hate figure? Maybe I could learn and modify my own behaviours from calling other contestants out as 'crap' behind their backs' etc. Notice he says nothing about what he might have learned about himself through this process.

Death threats and abuse is never okay of course, but ultimately it goes down to this.

God forbid a drag queen throws a bit of shade, I guess! I honestly don't understand what Sister has said or done on the show that's THAT bad, not that sending abuse to the queens is ever justified. I wonder if some sort of change in the editing policy would help, as the big criticism seems to be that she's just being shady in the confessionals but barely on screen otherwise, which isn't really her fault at all.

Tia has explained the Alan Turing look. Apparently, the brief was "a look inspired by a gay icon" rather than explicitly saying that that you should drag yourself up to look like them.

but even THAT is a stretch :D Joe’s I can see, it wasn’t just dressing up like Bowie, it was like a gown version of the aesthetic.

Tia’s was a Riddler jacket with 0s and 1s like a 90s hacker :D and a pink curly wig? None of it made any sense! :D

I just don’t get why people weren’t stanning Vinegar Strokes last season then, if that’s what people seem to love

Tia's look was so ridiculous, it was sublime. So flawed, it was perfect. So bad, it was good. It wasn't a mess, it was a hot mess.

I can only sympathise with anyone who can't appreciate that. But I can't help them.

Are we only just discovering that people can have different reactions to similar stuff? Put it down to likability. Tia is more endearing and connects better with the public.

oh are we playing that “people have different opinions :)” card?

She’s likeable, there are a lot of HATED queens who were likeable with busted drag though, just wondering what’s different here

well whatever

Unless Sister Sister has been an absolute bully to everyone and I've missed it, I don't think she needs to look in the mirror at all. There's absolutely no real justification for the hate she has been getting, even on here, given that the whole thing is an edited to fuck pantomime, and the suggestion of such is quite disturbing to me.

God forbid a drag queen throws a bit of shade, I guess! I honestly don't understand what Sister has said or done on the show that's THAT bad, not that sending abuse to the queens is ever justified. I wonder if some sort of change in the editing policy would help, as the big criticism seems to be that she's just being shady in the confessionals but barely on screen otherwise, which isn't really her fault at all.

Don’t know if this was aimed at my post. I wouldn’t want all queens to be saints, that would make it a very boring tv show, but you can’t behave in a certain way (and I don’t mean this about Sister but more in the case of say PhiPhi or Kandy) and then complain about people’s negative reaction to it.

I think you can complain about that actually, particularly when that negative reaction is people sending hate (including literal death threats, let's not forget) directly to your inbox. I don't think it's helpful to say "well maybe those threats should make the queen look at themselves", or whatever. Maybe the people sending the threats should look at themselves instead! Anything else just sounds like victim blaming to me.

Death threats/vile stuff on twitter etc is obviously awful regardless.

Most stuff here though? People talking about how dreadful she's largely been as a CONTESTANT which is 100% fair game, and the hilarity that ensues each week being constantly safe/ignored in challenges/forgotten in critiques etc...that's fine. Admittedly the face stuff is a bit personal, although it was kind of hard not comment on that (I'm not sure I actually did, mind), and of course that fringe is always going to be a hot topic. She has, editing or otherwise, come across as a bit snarky on the show too, which I'm sure she is at least partly responsible for. And when you put yourself forward on these shows there are going to be opinions and some are negative. But as I say I think moopy has mostly been doing it in a tongue in cheek way and not wishing her any ILL WILL as a human being at all.

Actively directing hateful messages to someone though is a whole other ball game than commenting on a Drag Race thread (not that anyone here was saying otherwise), and that's just shit for her really.

I do feel for anyone being trolled and sent death threats, no matter how unlikeable they come across on telly. It’s interesting that many celebrities (especially the reality crop) seem incapable of ignoring it, I suppose as humans we are programmed to want to know what people think of us. I’d like to think if I were in the public eye I’d make use of the block and ignore buttons but it’s probably easier said than done.

Reactions: COB
Don’t know if this was aimed at my post. I wouldn’t want all queens to be saints, that would make it a very boring tv show, but you can’t behave in a certain way (and I don’t mean this about Sister but more in the case of say PhiPhi or Kandy) and then complain about people’s negative reaction to it.

I've genuinely found Sister Sister more unlikeable than PhiPhi or Kandy. It's opinion innit.

Well SS aside, when will reality shows learn? Drag Race especially still pretends to be about the tenacity of the homosexual spirit, etc, but it's clearly mega susceptible to the cess/cis pit and we are seeing just where the crickets and rattle sounds will end (with Sister Sister getting chips thrown on her by Mylene Klass - oh how I unfortunately wish, but I'm working on being a non chip throwing wisher I promise).

Race Chaser does it a little, but I'd be absolutely fascinated by a show that really focuses in on the edit with it's subjects as this show has dropped the mockery of a format and became the very thing it set up to Kelly Mantle (which is rhyming slang for dismantle).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom