Eurovision 2020: CANCELLED!

What should the EBU do?

• Total voters
What I think should happen - and I think it will - is that The Mamas get an open invitation to return. The sympathy vote could be huge.

Oh they TOTALLY will. It's whether they make it or not.

Yeah, whatever you think of the song, an Icelandic win was OVERDUE.

The problem with the Icelandic artist is they will have lost a lot of the "WTF" factor if they choose the same act, different song...

Seeing reactions from some of the acts is quite sad...some of them like Lesley Roy for Ireland are really positive, but Eden from Israel was crying on TV. Though she is a lot younger.

I do realise those broadcasters where the National Final is a big thing but it really is a big fuck off to those who don't get first refusal. I hope most of them do the right thing and invite the artist direct. They can still have the show if they like, but if they say in advance it is not a ticket to Eurovision then it's not so bad. That's what they did in Hungary this year.

Seeing reactions from some of the acts is quite sad...some of them like Lesley Roy for Ireland are really positive, but Eden from Israel was crying on TV. Though she is a lot younger.

I do realise those broadcasters where the National Final is a big thing but it really is a big fuck off to those who don't get first refusal. I hope most of them do the right thing and invite the artist direct. They can still have the show if they like, but if they say in advance it is not a ticket to Eurovision then it's not so bad. That's what they did in Hungary this year.
Of course Lesley Roy's "really positive" - she's just dodged a bullet! :D

Uku Suviste gets an automatic pass to the semifinals of next year’s Eesti Laul.

I mean that's nice and all, but based on the quality of recent years was there any realistic chance he'd have been rejected anyway?

Iceland boy was on the news this evening. He seemed fairly flippant about it. I suspect they'll happily accept the winner that never was award.

Last edited:
If they don't have it so that this year's songs can be entered next year, I genuinely don't understand the point of not just running this year's contest as a series of music videos. You may as WELL if the entries are never going to be used, and people could do with the entertainment.

I really hope they do, that would be a proper collectors' item. Also would make it easier for people to download/stream/access the songs and contribute a tiny bit in royalties to the artists (unless the EBU or record companies skim them all off first).

I wonder if they are going to release the Eurovision cd.

This was added to the Q&A page on the official site today...

https://eurovision.tv/official-ebu-statement-and-faq-eurovision-song-contest-2020-cancellation

What about the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 CD?
We are currently in discussions with Universal Music regarding the sale of the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 CD. Further news will follow via the official channels as soon as we have more information.

Official announcement - this year's songs will not be eligible for 2021:

No shock there, but very sad indeed. I guess they'll still release the album and will do something symbolic in May.

The worst thing about this competition is the PEDANTIC nerds. Just keep the songs for whenever it can be hosted again, it’s totally unfair. The Roop spent SEVEN WEEKS getting that win!

Last edited:
I wonder if this means that the satellite option actually will be on the table, but more as a concert than an actual contest.

I wonder if this means that the satellite option actually will be on the table, but more as a concert than an actual contest.
Your persistence is admirable.
https://www.moopy.co.uk/data/avatars/m/3/3905.jpg?1483790703

I guess a positive of this will be to see what the returning artists do now - what a golden opportunity to really find the absolute best possible song.

I guess a positive of this will be to see what the returning artists do now - what a golden opportunity to really find the absolute best possible song.

I'm really worried that the acts that were expected to do well - Lithuania, Iceland, Bulgaria etc etc, will just try to re-create the songs as close as possible and we'll end up with a load of inferior versions. Why go for something drastically different and risk it not going down as well :( But whatever they do, in the cases where the artists remain the same (I imagine the majority), we as fans will just be comparing the old songs to the new songs.

I'm really worried that the acts that were expected to do well - Lithuania, Iceland, Bulgaria etc etc, will just try to re-create the songs as close as possible and we'll end up with a load of inferior versions. Why go for something drastically different and risk it not going down as well :( But whatever they do, in the cases where the artists remain the same (I imagine the majority), we as fans will just be comparing the old songs to the new songs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bulgaria withdrew, a whole part of them taking this year was sponsers for Victoria they had in place that funded it this year. San Marino too (although if Senhit won't fund, they'll probably find another fountain of wealth).

I wouldn't be surprised if Bulgaria withdrew, a whole part of them taking this year was sponsers for Victoria they had in place that funded it this year. San Marino too (although if Senhit won't fund, they'll probably find another fountain of wealth).
As if they're going to get their money back. But I wouldn't be surprised either.

Victoria has just been announced as Bulgaria’s act for 2021, with the various sponsors back on board.

Apparently the CD is likely to be released on 17 April.

It’s nice they are planning on doing something but it does feel unfair for the artists, especially the ones that went through weeks of national finals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom