Eurovision Song Contest 2019 performance

Although I do agree entirely with Suedey's earlier point about where they are in their careers and what they are trying to do, of course.

I just saw this last night. It wasn’t altogether terrible, I just kept waiting for it to explode into something else altogether, whether it be musically or performance but this was just drab.

Do we think she does any vocal coaching at all anymore? I'd be shocked if she does. She really, really needs to.

She sounded magnificent back in 89/90 when she worked with Seth Riggs to get her middle range strong for the Dick Tracy songs. She never sounded better. This whole thing of age ruining the voice isn't strictly true. She could still sound far, far better if she tried. It's not as if she was the kind of artist who toured incessantly and ruined their voice through oversinging. If anything, her voice sounds UNDERused. It should have deepened with age. Instead it sounds thin and shrill and extremely shaky. There's no way that regular vocal coaching and exercises wouldn't improve it hugely.

Sadly, she seems much more concerned with cosmetic procedures than on her singing voice.

Do we think she does any vocal coaching at all anymore? I'd be shocked if she does. She really, really needs to.

This is quite an interesting aspect of Madonna and Mariah's careers now - and there isn't really any benchmark. We know that Whitney's vocals suffered horrendously, but for a completely different reason.

Is it just wear and tear? I'm sure there are ways that both could use their voices better - but ultimately it's an instrument that's 30+ years old and how much better can it be, vocal coaching or not.

Shrill and shaky is EXACTLY what I would expect an ageing voice to sound like.

It's exactly the sound of someone who does no vocal work whatsoever. Even this vocal coach agrees(and she's a fan):

Reactions: Zu
I suspect that she almost certainly doesn’t bother with vocal coaching. Far too busy typing her hashtags #newbag #luxury #tinnynox

Why did that vocal coach react to her Billboards perf? She mimed the whole thing in that, didn't she?

what does that vocal coach even say?

eek? squeak? she sounds like she isn't exercising her voice. i'm a madonna fan! i've been following her all her career but i'm not feeling her new album? give me a thumbs up! eek!

for 8 minutes. fuck off!

god, i hate youtubers.

what does that vocal coach even say?

eek? squeak? she sounds like she isn't exercising her voice. i'm a madonna fan! i've been following her all her career but i'm not feeling her new album? give me a thumbs up! eek!

for 8 minutes. fuck off!

god, i hate youtubers.

Not a fan of YouTubers either, but she's right.

She's not exercising her voice at all and her breath control is dire. She's a professional singer that pays no attention to her instrument. She shouldn't be surprised when she gets torn apart for a terrible performance.

i don't even care about the nox. i care about her being joyless and desperate to seem hip to a demographic she has absolutely nothing in common with which automatically makes her the exact opposite. and making generic, tired, soulless, hit-chasing music.

Not a fan of YouTubers either, but she's right.

She's not exercising her voice at all and her breath control is dire. She's a professional singer that pays no attention to her instrument. She shouldn't be surprised when she gets torn apart for a terrible performance.

i'm not saying she's not right. i'm saying everything she said for 8 long minutes, she could've said in 30 seconds and you and i could've probably said. someone posted some other vocal coaches recently who did a really good job speculating what's wrong with mariah's voice. this one was useless as.

:disco:

Why on earth is anyone launching into HER when we have a significantly more brittle, shallow, greedy and deluded monster to be tackling?

Oh I am more convinced than ever that she has arthritis. There's no way that just being 60 would do that to her movement. It's as if every bit of rhythm and musicality has fled her body. I know she's not as super athletic as she used to be, but she still has a fabulous body for her age. Her dancing should still be excellent. There's definitely something wrong with her, sadly. I wonder if it's related to "over exercising" for so many years.
I certainly noticed it during the Rebel Heart Tour. She was still fine at the MDNA Tour but she had some kind of 'injury' if I recall correctly around 2013. Her movements in Rebel Heart were strangely stilted and mechanical ("Deeper and Deeper" being a prime example). I thought she may also have been somewhat medicated during that tour actually but that's another story...

I'd say it's a combination of older age, injuries and probably also the fact that she's not as fit as she used to be (she openly says she does not work out anywhere near as much as she used to do in the new Vogue magazine interview).

Hence the 'intimate' upcoming tour...

Again: I'm really not here for Madonna vs. Kylie.

Can we please move that discussion to another thread or park it? It's just beyond ludicrous.

Just saw the retouched version of LAP, yeah the vocals aren’t distracting now, it’s just such a lifeless arrangement, it makes me sad for such a joyous song.

The vocoder on Future isn’t good though. Sigh :( I wanted more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom