Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (Oscar-Nominated)

__ points

• Total voters
Apparently Wiwi William has a cameo in this so I'd imagine that's another reason for certain fans to switch off...

I've long since made peace with the fact that this isn't *for* me, so it's ridiculous to get wound up about how accurate it is or isn't.

Apparently Wiwi William has a cameo in this so I'd imagine that's another reason for certain fans to switch off...
I wasn’t going to watch it anyway but that SEALS THE DEAL

I'm about half way through. It's fine! Mildy funny in parts, perfectly watchable and I'm enjoying the EASTER EGGS :D

I really thought I would never have to lay eyes on fucking NETTA again though.

I'm not too worried about it being "disrespectful" towards the contest as I'm kind of desensitised to that now and it is ripe for piss-taking, let's face it. But I would at least understand some fans being annoyed about that.

On the other hand, is the fact that there are 7 people on stage at one point and a voting sequence in the semi-final REALLY going to have any impact on the quality (good or bad) WHATSOEVER? :eyes:

I enjoyed it. It's definitely too long, but a solid six points from me. The music's quite good, which shouldn't be a surprise as much of it is from one of the writers behind PRETTYMUCH and Ariana Grande

Why was someone else playing Jon Ola Sand? :D

Last edited:
The other thing I'm wondering

WHY is Mans the odd one out in terms of recent winners? Surely he wouldn't... turn something down?!

- The voting for the semi final is SO FUCKING SLOPPY :oi:
- I have to respect Wiwi William for getting himself and his branding into this film
- The idea of Sigrit fancying Lars... no
- The joke about the UK getting 0 points all the time when it's set in the UK and they've already established that the winners host the next year :manson:
- The bit about no gays in Russia was quite touching
- Seeing the ALUMNI was a lovely surprise and definitely one of the best bits of the film but who invited Lundvik? And I wish we could have gotten Eleni
- I think this can only be positive for the contest ultimately

I'm clearly a massive eurovision fan and I really enjoyed it.

To be honest I think I'd lowered my expectations to such a level that it was a very pleasant surprise. It had a lot of flaws but was enjoyable and had positive intentions instead of just being negative and piss-taking, which in this day and age was very welcome.

And how the fuck did Anna Odobescu make it into the mega-medley?!!

I actually liked the part right at the end when he started berating the Americans and all of their negative stereotypes :D

Dan Stevens also surprisingly funny, maybe quashing his chances at Bond once and for all.

As Moopy's BIGGEST Eurovision loon (ok argue with me bitches!) I reallt enjoyed it. OK it was NOT realistic at all when it comes to Eurovision but it was fun. Will Ferrell was the weakest part, Rachael McAdams was reallt good and the supporting cast too. The star for me, was My Marianne, who provided the voice for Sigrid. She was AMAZING! :disco:

Reactions: D5K
So yeah, it was FINE.

Wouldn’t watch it again or anything, but it was pretty enjoyable. Amusing in places without being laugh-out-loud funny, and a great soundtrack.

Fairly standard underdog plot that’s been done a MILLION times before (including several times by Will Ferrell himself), but I guess that meant they couldn’t really go too far wrong with the storytelling.

Rachel McAdams was very watchable, Pierce Brosnan makes a great Icelandic fisherman, and yes Will Ferrell was probably the weakest link but he kind of underplayed it relatively speaking so fair enough.

I’m glad it was done out of a place of love for the contest and obviously the Easter eggs for fans were much appreciated.

I lasted 40 minutes and couldn’t be bothered to continue. It just isn’t funny. It’s like a really generic teen comedy. Utter drivel.

From what I've seen in Facebook groups, Abba fans seem broadly favourable to it.

Weirdly, this movie is... definitely for fans? I can't see non-fans getting much enjoyment out of it.

The wonderful Mark Kermode liked it a lot (Simon not so much)

Rotten Tomatoes score is 58% after 85 reviews, audience score is 85% though! And a 6.7 on IMDB.

Have to say I'm pleasantly surprised, both by the film itself and the reaction.

Oh and while I said I wasn’t going to get worked up about the little details when it comes to the accuracy of the contest and such, one thing that has confused me slightly is

how old exactly Rachel McAdams is meant to be!

Apparently around 8 years old when Abba won in 1974 and the same age as Will Ferrell but also played like a small town girl with her whole career ahead of her and young enough to have a baby...

I rather liked it, to my surprise! The trailer was a bit of a fake-out, that Volcano man song was fortunately out of the way quickly.

The best thing was that it wasn't really a Will Ferrell comedy as you'd imagine, it was just (broadly speaking) a comedy with Will Ferrell in it.
Rachel was good, Will was OK, the supporting cast were decent, Iceland was BEAUTIFUL.

It didn't feel like a Hollywood film, it really DID feel like something the EBU might have made, for better or worse :D

I mean yeah it did change how Eurovision works for narrative purposes, but it wasn't really necessary to make it the same anyway.

Why have an actual Jon Ola Sand but re-cast him?! :D
Demi Lovato! :D
The "song-a-long" with that cast, what a gay fan fever dream :D (Believe? Ray of Light?!)
Salvador!! WTF (was he supposed to be a tramp?)
Jamala being in it too, miserable old baggage.
Loreen looked so beautiful, that was a statement!
WTF I didn't clock Jesse Matador, or random Moldovan
I did get a little :disco: at the Icelandic language bit of the song, I mean it doesn't really have any resonance with Iceland because they do that anyway, but Sweden doing that shitty rap song would never!
Greek woman and the Russian were a great pair

Finally time to get into Sigur Ros too.
Oh, and Belarus could never come up with anything that good :D

Reactions: dUb
Oh, and why were the hosts HARD FOREIGN when it was being hosted in Edinburgh?
Well it's too much of a stretch to assume the UK won the year before, so maybe it was a victory for HARD FOREIGN country who then declined to host the contest so the UK stepped in, but let them have some input?

7cfhx0lzqh751.jpg

Of course it does. It's the second most-watched film on the most popular streaming service in the US. Numbers or no numbers.

Less than 24 hours after you claimed an iTunes #1 was worth anything too :D

Less than 24 hours after you claimed an iTunes #1 was worth anything too :D
Well a #1 is a #1.

The real test is measuring the impact on US consciousness of Eurovision. Being no.2 on Netflix doesn't really tell me that. If that means 10 million views then amazing. But it could also mean 25,000 views which is nothing really. My point remains.

Completely anecdotal and probably doesn’t mean that much but the vast majority of comments under Netflix’s posts about the film on social media are positive about it, which you don’t see too often. It might have come along at the right time for a lot of people.

I really want a sequel now :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom