Frasier (reboot) ft. Rodney Trotter

Are any members of the creative team behind Frasier/Cheers involved or are they too old?

More funny peculiar than funny ha-ha from that, but I'll give it an episode or two.

God it just looks like a parody of itself 🫣
I kind of think that's inevitable for the trailer for a show which finished nearly two decades ago.

Freddie concerns me more than Lyndhurst's character.

Genuinely love that the bar is called Mahoney's.

I kind of think that's inevitable for the trailer for a show which finished nearly two decades ago.

Genuinely love that the bar is called Mahoney's.
Freddy's whole set up and character does sort of look like he's from a mid-season replacement sitcom that never got past the sixth episode.

Star of The Piglet Files Nicky Lyndhurst looks like he's just treading water until David Jason dies so he can make millions from his tell-all book.

Frasier is one of my all-time favourite sitcoms, but I am genuinely baffled that any of you are excited about this obvious vanity project featuring one of the most notorious cunts in Hollywood and nobody else from the original cast.

camille.gif

Frasier is one of my all-time favourite sitcoms, but I am genuinely baffled that any of you are excited about this obvious vanity project featuring one of the most notorious cunts in Hollywood and nobody else from the original cast.

camille.gif
Pretty sure you’ve been reading the posts wrong.

Freddy's whole set up and character does sort of look like he's from a mid-season replacement sitcom that never got past the sixth episode.

Totally. I can completely see what they're trying to do, but it looks like the premise of a sitcom or low-brow 'comedy' movie from 20 years ago.

Yes, based on the trailer he is absolutely the biggest misfire. In the original series, he was always a bit of an oddball that reflected the fact that he had Lilith and Frasier as parents. Here they’ve made him a total normie for the sake of the central “chalk and cheese” premise of the show. Straight out of a How I Met Your Mother or something like that.

Yes, based on the trailer he is absolutely the biggest misfire. In the original series, he was always a bit of an oddball that reflected the fact that he had Lilith and Frasier as parents. Here they’ve made him a total normie for the sake of the central “chalk and cheese” premise of the show. Straight out of a How I Met Your Mother or something like that.
They will likely say that he has gone after his grandfather but it doesn't really wash given that he was brought up in Boston under the gaze of uptight Lilith.

I'm guessing they'll portray David as more like his father (and uncle).

For me, Frasier was about the writing as much as it was the ensemble. And Kelsey Grammer was very much a part of that - despite his political persuasions, you can't deny his performance had an impact on the show's success.

It looks a MESS and Lyndhurst doing an OUTDATED melange of Niles and Giles isn't going to cut it.

Also LOL at the token black lady in the WASPIEST of shows having no lines in the trailer. Diversity box TICKED.

Did anyone watch the first two episodes? I actually thought it was DECENT, certainly better than I was expecting.
Yes, I have, kept meaning to see if anyone else had here and then always forgot.

And yes, it was better than I feared. It was probably kind of 6 or 7 out of 10 I'd say. Interesting to see how although the relationships are different, they seem to be setting up the characters to have very similar parallels to the original.

Most importantly I'm reasonably eager to keep watching.

The one big thing for me was that the situation with Freddy and Eve(?) felt a bit needlessly contrived, I think it might have been tidier to just have the baby be Freddy's. Also unsure about a sitcom saddling themselves with a baby, on purpose, right from the first episode - usually it's something they have to begrudgingly write in due to real-life circumstances :D

I liked it. I think it has potential

Some reviews I read had said Nicholas Lyndhurst was the best character but I just found them annoying

I liked it. I think it has potential

Some reviews I read had said Nicholas Lyndhurst was the best character but I just found them annoying
Yeah I found him slightly irritating as well. It's like he's been created to be even more pompous than Frasier, a little like Niles, originally, but without any of the charm. I guess that affection has to grow. But as they have David there as a permanent reference to Niles, I wonder how Lyndhurst's character will develop.

Yes I was pleasantly surprised too. Obviously it will never match up to the original, but I found it enjoyable and the characters have plenty of potential once they've bedded in.

The trailer (and the first 5 minutes of the first episode) made it seem like it was going to be Frasier inserted into some hack Two Broke Girls type sitcom writing, but overall it does seem to have the spirit of the original and Frasier (the character) is still Frasier.

Interested to see how it develops and how they all settle into their roles. Agreed that it's a solid 6-7 at the moment and that Nicholas Lyndhurst is the best character (although Eve has potential).

Although we didn't need to be told that Freddy has his mother's wit or that David is like Niles and Daphne. Show, don't tell!

Oh and one more thing... I know that Nicholas/Rodney/whatever his name is is there to fill a sort of Niles role in the sense that he's a confidant for Frasier, but as a character I found him to be much more like Gil Chesterton than Niles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom