Gladiators (2024)

Yes you are right with the 2008 Sky one - it was set in a smaller studio and much more 'futuristic' with them falling into water etc - it just didn't work.

I rather liked the outfits :horny:

MV5BZmFiZGIwZTQtZWYyZC00MDJiLWFkMDgtOGNlNzcwOTA2M2M1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM4NjgwODc@._V1_.jpg

But yes, overall, it felt like a budget remake. And while the BBC has gotten lots of stuff right with their version, the most important thing for me is that it mostly has the scale of the original. Even Hang Tough, which I thought seemed quite small, isn't much different from the '90s, having now gone back to watch clips of it.

I rather liked the outfits :horny:

MV5BZmFiZGIwZTQtZWYyZC00MDJiLWFkMDgtOGNlNzcwOTA2M2M1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM4NjgwODc@._V1_.jpg

But yes, overall, it felt like a budget remake. And while the BBC has gotten lots of stuff right with their version, the most important thing for me is that it mostly has the scale of the original. Even Hang Tough, which I thought seemed quite small, isn't much different from the '90s, having now gone back to watch clips of it.

Some of the 2008 Gladiators were really good Gladiators, it wasn't them really it was just the whole production and set up

Yeah the original was a bit grander than this current one - they had more space in Birmingham than the Sheffield arena, but all in all, great job so far!

The problem with Hang Tough is that they didn't bring back the original soundtrack to it which worked so well.

Loving Betty's foot in mouth syndrome. I'm up to the ring one.

I see the gay runner is back. He just looks like someone who goes to the gym twice a week, bless him. I hope they give him Bionic in the gauntlet again.

I think Sabre's song needs to be Sway. I wonder if that's her constant movement in queues, at the bar, in between sets, etc.

Ash is ridiculous.

My gaydar is terrible, had no idea
This is so funny to me. As well as his whole general demeanour, did you also miss the first time round when his VT showed him at his LGBT RUNNERS' CLUB? :D

Just finished last night's and bless Ash's Miss Congeniality speech at the end. A bit eyeroll for a snarky internet queen like me, but a good thing to say. I don't think he's the only gay in the village on this show, male contenders-wise, which is nice.

On another note: I don't mind Bradley and Barney Walsh as hosts, but fucking hell what horrible suits. You'd think they could have got better considering they have to wear the exact same design for every show

Was good to see Hang Tough back too - I think they were trying to push the new games a lot.

Funnily enough, I was watching the Ozzie one when I was down under and their version is in a studio much like the 2008 reboot but much worse, the Gladiators are good but they still have PYRAMID and don't bother putting it away for the Eliminator and use it for that too for the contestants to run up and down as part of it :D

Me too I wish they'd bring it back here - I think its too risky for injuries though

Me too I wish they'd bring it back here - I think its too risky for injuries though
Giant and Bionic flinging themselves at you from great height - what's the worst that could happen?

Or just get Legend to do it. He'd only launch himself at them and miss.

I wish Mark Clattenburg would sort his armpit hair out. If you're going to be raising your arm up all night you need to trim it or wear longer sleeves. Seeing it poke out gives me the ick.

Obvs still would though, even if I was surprised to read he's only 39.

That had me shook, but wikipedia says he's 48 (turning 49 next week). Did you read an old article?

That had me shook, but wikipedia says he's 48 (turning 49 next week). Did you read an old article?
No, an article on WALES ONLINE from January, so you can understand my ABSOLUTE FAITH

I'm going to be glued looking out for the pit forestry on Saturday's show. Whilst I'm far from a "no deodorant only" gay I would never want anyone shaving or trimming their pits - if it's scandalous then perhaps a pleat in the style of Whigfield.

Watching now. Just noticed Jake is wearing nail varnish. Is that a thing now for straight guys who aren't Goths? Also, welcome back Finlay's thighs.

I'm glad Betty actually fought a little on Duel as her previous defence tactic was wearing thin and you could see Sabre had zero time for it.

If Finlay's ribs are still sore, I'm guessing these shows are filmed really close together and not live as in per week?

That son presenter looks like he's made of clay. Maybe it's the 90s hair and the product fixing it in place and also the stiff camera presence.

I do hope the gladiators finally stop the letting contestants score points, pretending to lose grip of shoes, etc, for the final.

If Finlay's ribs are still sore, I'm guessing these shows are filmed really close together and not live as in per week?

The entire series was filmed in June. Looking at some Reddit threads, it appears they did one show a day (the '90s series filmed one in the morning and one in the afternoon).

I guess it's impractical to film across a longer time period, but it is a shame that some injuries put contenders out of the series altogether when a week or so recovery time (in line with the broadcast pattern) might be enough for them to continue. Legend has had his fingers strapped up for several weeks now, I noticed.

Do we know if they film one show at a time, or if they for example get Edge ready, and then filmed all the contenders and then stitched the shows together in the edit?

I thought I read somewhere that all episodes were filmed individually, but I'm not sure why they keep Barney and Bradley in those same fuckawful suits if it wasn't for the purpose of continuity.

Do we know if they film one show at a time, or if they for example get Edge ready, and then filmed all the contenders and then stitched the shows together in the edit?

I thought I read somewhere that all episodes were filmed individually, but I'm not sure why they keep Barney and Bradley in those same fuckawful suits if it wasn't for the purpose of continuity.

Each episode is filmed individually, but not necessarily in the order they were broadcast (for the heats, at least) or in the order the events are shown. So, yes, the decision to have Barney and Bradley in the same suits each week is intentional :D

(Although there's a part of me that wonders if it was a contingency in case Barney Walsh proved SO dreadful that he needed to be replaced, and then they'd at least be able to cobble together some sense of continuity).

Poor Chung! I really rooting for him to win it all. :( One thing to be withdrawn before the start of the show, but having to leave mid-game and in the semi-final as well, my heart goes out to him.

Kerry is phenemonal, her pushing Sabre off the crossing was so gutsy and incredibly brave! :D Definitely think and want her to go on to win it all!

Matt freshly out of the spray tan booth and ready for action

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom