Happy 25th Birthday Impossible Princess

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
As middle aged gays the world over salivate at the prospect of being disappointed again by a forthcoming Minogue Majora opus, let's take a few moments to rate (again) Kylie Ann's most avant garde masterwork, which was released twenty years ago today.

Kylie_Minogue_Impossible_Princess.png

Too Far
Cowboy Style
Some Kind Of Bliss
Did It Again
Breathe
Say Hey
Drunk
I Don't Need Anyone
Jump
Limbo
Through The Years
Dreams

Tears
Love Takes Over Me
This Girl
Take Me With You

Last edited:
10 Too Far
10 Cowboy Style
10 Some Kind Of Bliss
11 Did It Again
10 Breathe
09 Say Hey
09 Drunk
07 I Don't Need Anyone
10 Jump
09 Limbo
10 Through The Years
10 Dreams

09 Tears
08 Love Takes Over Me
10 This Girl
09 Take Me With You

Her best album and one of the greatest albums of all time

06 Too Far
10 Cowboy Style
09 Some Kind Of Bliss
08 Did It Again
08 Breathe
07 Say Hey
05 Drunk
08 I Don't Need Anyone
05 Jump
08 Limbo
05 Through The Years
09 Dreams

07 Tears
07 Love Takes Over Me
05 This Girl
07 Take Me With You

Last edited:
Let me edit in Take Me With You. I struggle to remember the chronology of a lot of the stuff from this era.

I'll rate it in due course but it's my favourite Kylie album. Breathe is one of my top 3 Kylie songs. Speaking of the singles from it I do like Some Kind Of Bliss but it really could have done with another verse thrown in.

08 Too Far
10 Cowboy Style
06 Some Kind of Bliss
06 Did It Again
10 Breathe
08 Say Hey
07 Drunk
08 I Don’t Need Anyone
07 Jump
08 Limbo
05 Through The Years
10 Dreams

An interesting record, but very flawed.

The main singles being among the weakest tracks doesn’t help. Some Kind of Bliss is clearly half-written and Did It Again wants so badly to be Garbage’s Stupid Girl that it’s really quite embarassing. Breathe is still great though.

Last edited:
I adore it. I still find it such a refreshing record in her back-cat. I'm really ready for her to do some kind of update, a la Ray of Light.

I didn't hear it until years later and I'm not quite sure why, apart from my being wired into heavy electronics at the time. Still, "Dreams" is in my Kylie top 5.

I like Breathe a lot, but it needed the kick that the radio edit gave it.

08 Too Far
10 Cowboy Style
09 Some Kind of Bliss
11 Did It Again
10 Breathe
08 Say Hey
05 Drunk
07 I Don’t Need Anyone
08 Jump
09 Limbo
07 Through The Years
10 Dreams

09 Too Far
07 Cowboy Style
11 Some Kind Of Bliss
09 Did It Again
10 Breathe
08 Say Hey
07 Drunk
07 I Don't Need Anyone
08 Jump
10 Limbo
06 Through The Years
10 Dreams

07 Tears
10 Love Takes Over Me
08 This Girl
10 Take Me With You

Just a heads up to anyone who is interested - this is being released on vinyl in September.

Also from SayHey:

around 40 songs were written during IP sessions, which leaves more than 20 demos in the vaults

Let it go - AMAZING, reference obviously Bjork's Hyperballad as it turns into a house track at the end after a mostly minimal, mid tempo electro sound.
Prisoner of Time - BIR house track, 'Prisoner, prisoner of time. Looking for ??? at the scene of the crime' (all I can remember of the chorus lyrics.)
(All right) Now - Rock, Did It Again esque. Catchy, poppy.
Ache - trip hop, dark.
Something Sacred - mid tempo electronica, another stand out.
By my side - ?
You're the one (Version #1) - less snarly, different lyrics, less ballsy; less built but similar in production.
Stay with you - Confide In Me the sequel, big orchestra, huge chorus. Also amazing. Chorus has Kylie belt 'Sttaaayyy wiiittthh yoooouuuu'. Very odd they didn't finish this. Not perfect but foundations of something thrilling.
Looking down on me - electro, Take Me With You crossed with Cowboy Style, orchestral sounds, very demo so clearly abandoned fairly early; lyrics about a female character watching over Kylie 'And she knew what I knew and what I know cause she's been there before, and she felt what I felt and what I feel cause she's been there before, hmmm. Now she's looking down on me, now she's taking care of me..........'
Miles (alternative title: Blues) -?
Free #1 & #2. - only heard one version of this and didn't see a second in th vaults. Exactly as live but very very rough (I THINK, that big middle 8 might now have been there actually, I can't remember.)
Fallen Angel - Rock, catchy, pretty throw away.
Drunk (Original Demo) - completely different to the finished version. Dance but a little bland and far less trance.
Clever girl (Did it again Demo) - barely different.
Floating - ?
Hush Hush - ?
Love is in your life (alternative title: Loving is in your life) - I can't remember this, I think it's KM94?
Something that we started: weirdly I know I heard this and LOVED it, but I can't remember a thing about the sound.
I'm ready: This is for 'Kylie Minogue' 94 and is just a throw away pop track. Co-written by Kylie and Gerry Deveaux.
You're the one (Version #2)

Soon - beautiful orchestra, unusual construct, about a character 'they still call Mary' (or something like that, memory is hazy.)
Be till I'm over - trippy, vocals sound distressed, personal lyrics.
Sweetest summer (Limbo Demo) - drum and bass lite. Verses are the same as Limbo, entirely different chorus 'I'm looking for my sweetest summer...'
Into myself - 'Into myself, looking for a new direction', drum and bass lite. Contains a verse used for Some Kind Of Bliss,

Too Far
Cowboy style
Did it again
Say hey
Drunk
Dreams
Love takes over me
Take me with you
Stay this way

I don't need anyone
Some kind of bliss

Jump

Limbo
Through the years
Breathe
Tears

This girl

Sometime samurai
G.B.I.

Nothing apart from the original 12 tracks on the vinyl release though.

I'm afraid nothing touches the singles, but I like some of the others (particularly the outtake Tears). Some Kind of Bliss is such a Kylie career-defining peak for me. It just has a swagger and certain bombastic 60s flare to it. Breathe is also rather :disco: And Did It Again definitely has its eyes on impressing Safron, Shirley and Sleeper for sure. Too bad Dannii didn't star in it dressed up as the other Kylies.

An orange vinyl is up on HMV today. Some marbled violet ones on various international sites as well.

The picture disc looks nice:

101390-5397e1ca8acf40f9e9d9995cd76d8eff.png

Just a shame I don't collect music at all now so can't warrant the (frankly unnecessary) expenditure. I still have Disco on vinyl with nothing to play it on.

I've got two (or possibly three, genuinely can't remember) copies of Disco on vinyl, unplayed, unopened, gathering dust. I'm not making the same mistake again.

I've got two (or possibly three, genuinely can't remember) copies of Disco on vinyl, unplayed, unopened, gathering dust. I'm not making the same mistake again.
I'm very ambivalent about how I support artists I'm a fan of these days. Obviously I'm a Kylie loon but that only extends to purchasing one hard copy on CD (!) which I know I'll never play. I simply can't be purchasing multiple vinyl copies, to frame on the wall or collect dust until I eventually decide to get rid.

Also (and no judgment) but I can't relate to the mentality of an adult collecting different coloured variants of the same bloody thing!

Also (and no judgment) but I can't relate to the mentality of an adult collecting different coloured variants of the same bloody thing!

Absolutely. I've even started questioning my Saint Etienne collection and debating whether to get rid of it. It's the constant fucking milking of everything that gets RIGHT ON MY TITS, of which Kylie is one of the worst offenders.

Also, it's only recently I've noticed that I hardly play "new" music on vinyl at all- it's mostly just older stuff which I've bought second hand.

Having said that, I will pick up A format of this. And then flog it when they inevitably bring out a deluxe edition a bit further down the line.

Having said that, I will pick up A format of this. And then flog it when they inevitably bring out a deluxe edition a bit further down the line.
I was going to mention this - I have the original Disco on CD and then the Guest List Edition too (albeit mainly because of the inclusion of Infinite Disco) but do feel as if I'm constantly burned by the inevitable release of "deluxe" editions later on down the line.

Given that Kylie is now pretty much the only artist I'd buy a physical for (for no reason other than to avoid the guilt of not "supporting" her), I am probably going to hold off purchasing future albums until they issue their final releases. I'll just stream the shit out of them until then.

I was going to mention this - I have the original Disco on CD and then the Guest List Edition too (albeit mainly because of the inclusion of Infinite Disco) but do feel as if I'm constantly burned by the inevitable release of "deluxe" editions later on down the line.

Given that Kylie is now pretty much the only artist I'd buy a physical for (for no reason other than to avoid the guilt of not "supporting" her), I am probably going to hold off purchasing future albums until they issue their final releases. I'll just stream the shit out of them until then.

It's how they ruined the industry in the first place- I stopped buying CDs a long time before I stopped buying physical music and waited for the inevitable deluxe...and then would wait until it was in a sale.

It's how they ruined the industry in the first place- I stopped buying CDs a long time before I stopped buying physical music and waited for the inevitable deluxe...and then would wait until it was in a sale.
Things were always going to go this way with the advent of digital and then streaming I suppose but it's definitely made me less invested and probably less passionate about music in general too.

I'm sure I discussed this in another thread not so long ago but I've basically turned into a stereotypical middle aged music listener - one who doesn't necessarily actively consume and seek out new music. It's sad.

And still buying ridiculous formats even when I say I won't.
Where do you put them though? It's so weird to have my newer Kylie CDs sit alongside a largely AGED collection of music on CD which I resent keeping a hold of but am loath to get rid of.

It is strange though, because arguably new music is easier to find than ever before. If anything the problem for me is that there is so much of it I can easily access in a few taps that it's quite overwhelming and I go back to what I know.

Which, just like my using streaming services to watch old TV shows more than discover new ones, really is just a symptom of anxiety.

It is strange though, because arguably new music is easier to find than ever before. If anything the problem for me is that there is so much of it I can easily access in a few taps that it's quite overwhelming and I go back to what I know.

Which, just like my using streaming services to watch old TV shows more than discover new ones, really is just a symptom of anxiety.
ABSOLUTELY THIS.

It has also had the opposite effect on me.

Where do you put them though? It's so weird to have my newer Kylie CDs sit alongside a largely AGED collection of music on CD which I resent keeping a hold of but am loathe to get rid of.
I don't put them anywhere. They are in boxes in the spare room, or garage. I genuinely don't buy much though - its only been Kylie Disco and Shakespear's Sister this last couple of years, I think.

Well, other than Abba, but obviously that has its own room :D

The picture disc looks nice:

101390-5397e1ca8acf40f9e9d9995cd76d8eff.png

Just a shame I don't collect music at all now so can't warrant the (frankly unnecessary) expenditure. I still have Disco on vinyl with nothing to play it on.
I mean, that would be nice if they hadn't put the spindle hole right through her chest!

I don't put them anywhere. They are in boxes in the spare room, or garage. I genuinely don't buy much though - its only been Kylie Disco and Shakespear's Sister this last couple of years, I think.

Well, other than Abba, but obviously that has its own room :D
Tragic isn't it? That they end up in a box. They'll be somebody else's problem when you POP YOUR CLOGS.

I empathise though.

Interestingly that picture disc is saying not currently available now.

Eurgh. I'm going to convince myself it's really all limited and buy into this shit.

Tragic isn't it? That they end up in a box. They'll be somebody else's problem when you POP YOUR CLOGS.

I empathise though.
On one level, yes. But you can't rationalise everything. It's part of the human condition I guess. It's just finding a level you're comfortable with.

Interestingly that picture disc is saying not currently available now.

Eurgh. I'm going to convince myself it's really all limited and buy into this shit.
The only instance that I'd consider buying more Kylie vinyl (even though again, like I said, I don't own a record player) is if they did a proper retrospective down the line with additional tracks - Steve Anderson alluded to the possibility of this in a recent podcast.

The only instance that I'd consider buying more Kylie vinyl (even though again, like I said, I don't own a record player) is if they did a proper retrospective down the line with additional tracks - Steve Anderson alluded to the possibility of this in a recent podcast.
I mean yes, at least you'd be getting something new - but if that was me I'd still have absolutely no intention of actually playing it. It's still the same old clutter sitting around the house never actually being used.

I mean yes, at least you'd be getting something new - but if that was me I'd still have absolutely no intention of actually playing it. It's still the same old clutter sitting around the house never actually being used.
:D

Sad because it's the truth. Cynicism has destroyed the simple pleasures of my life.

They are essentially single use plastics - but not even that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom