Happy 25th Birthday Impossible Princess

I'd love a vinyl copy of this as that artwork is just so strong. Probably my favourite ever Kylie, which is ironic as the album does reach peaks among her highest, but overall doesn't do much for me even if I've came around to appreciating what lingers in the shadows of those brilliant singles.

:D

Sad because it's the truth. Cynicism has destroyed the simple pleasures of my life.

They are essentially single use plastics - but not even that!
Yes, I think that was one of the things that bothered me the most about the whole reissue market particularly - you really are just buying STUFF in nice shiny packaging which you're never going to play. And then being sucked in by a signed print. I've already got two Shakespear's Sister signed prints. Both are in envelopes in a drawer somewhere. But I've recently gone for another one with some CD singles I'll never play and which will sit in a box somewhere. All because I love an album which is thirty years old, the original CD of which I played hundreds of times, but is now sitting on a shelf, untouched for more than a decade because since then I've only ever streamed it. But now I've been convinced to buy it all again. What a fool.

Yes, I think that was one of the things that bothered me the most about the whole reissue market particularly - you really are just buying STUFF in nice shiny packaging which you're never going to play. And then being sucked in by a signed print. I've already got two Shakespear's Sister signed prints. Both are in envelopes in a drawer somewhere. But I've recently gone for another one with some CD singles I'll never play and which will sit in a box somewhere. All because I love an album which is thirty years old, the original CD of which I played hundreds of times, but is now sitting on a shelf, untouched for more than a decade because since then I've only ever streamed it. But now I've been convinced to buy it all again. What a fool.
And even with the signed prints - who are they meant to impress, aside from, perhaps, your inner child?

Are we just being pragmatic about this or are we sucking the joy out of life?

And even with the signed prints - who are they meant to impress, aside from, perhaps, your inner child?

Are we just being pragmatic about this or are we sucking the joy out of life?
Both :D

These coloured vinyls do look awfully pretty though. I must stay offline after my next couple of glasses of wine.

I always feel bad about my feelings towards IP since it is so beloved. I have a somewhat conflicting relationship with it. It really came out a year too late (1997 I mean, not the delayed release in 98)

My rate:

08 Too Far
08 Cowboy Style (the Fever2002 version was an 11 though)
08 Some Kind Of Bliss
03 Did It Again
09 Breathe (04 for the single version)
07 Say Hey
09 Drunk
08 I Don't Need Anyone
07 Jump
09 Limbo
06 Through The Years
09 Dreams

00 Tears (Hate her vocal on this)
10 Love Takes Over Me
05 This Girl
10 Take Me With You

Despite the relatively high scores I'd give the overall album a 06.

I absolutely love this album and I'm tempted to buy this even if it's a million pesos.

09 Too Far
10 Cowboy Style
08 Some Kind Of Bliss
10 Did It Again
10 Breathe
09 Say Hey
08 Drunk
09 I Don't Need Anyone
10 Jump
10 Limbo
07 Through The Years
09 Dreams

07 Tears
10 Love Takes Over Me
07 This Girl
10 Take Me With You

It's quite a thing to see the BMG logo replacing deConstruction's on the packaging. I imagine when the early albums are finally reissued it will be even more jarring to see BMG splashed across the back of them instead of PWL.

But why are you being so hard on yourself? If it makes you happy that’s all that matters

I love it so much. I remember buying it on the first day it was released, in Virgin Bristol, where I would go every single Monday after university to buy new music. I had the holographic cover. Long since flogged on eBay, mind…

10 Too Far
08 Cowboy Style
10 Some Kind Of Bliss
10 Did It Again
10 Breathe
09 Say Hey
09 Drunk
08 I Don't Need Anyone
07 Jump
10 Limbo
07 Through The Years
10 Dreams

07 Tears
10 Love Takes Over Me
08 This Girl
11 Take Me With You

Last edited:
And I know it’s kind of been said, but oh for a two disc deluxe with the outtakes and bsides. I still think Love Takes Over Me and Take Me With You are better than anything on the main album itself.

09 Too Far
07 Cowboy Style
10 Some Kind Of Bliss
10 Did It Again
10 Breathe
08 Say Hey
06 Drunk
07 I Don't Need Anyone
07 Jump
10 Limbo
07 Through The Years
10 Dreams

07 Tears
11 Love Takes Over Me
07 This Girl
10 Take Me With You

The SHEER FUCKING NERVE of tossing Take Me With You off as a bside.

I still think both my aforementioned songs would have fitted perfectly on the album. Extend it to 14 tracks and throw Love Takes Over Me on after Breathe then Take Me With You before Dreams. If you wanted to keep the 12 tracker, lose Through The Years and I Don’t Need Anyone or Jump.

But why are you being so hard on yourself? If it makes you happy that’s all that matters
Clearly it doesn't - so why do I bother?

Any 'happiness' I get from it is largely from having managed to secure it, until it arrives. After that it's just stuff that I often will never look at, never mind actually play.

I suspect that I would have moved on from it entirely, if I wasn't pulled back to it so hard for fucking Abba. Obviously more over the last year, but it's been incessant for two decades plus. He'll admit that it's ridiculous and all the things we've said above, but he's far more comfortable with it - he's found that happy spot.

I know it's a bit of a vanilla choice but I think "Dreams" is still my #1 Kylie song. It makes it all the more annoying that the "Impossible Princess" title was canned at the last minute too.

I know it's a bit of a vanilla choice but I think "Dreams" is still my #1 Kylie song. It makes it all the more annoying that the "Impossible Princess" title was canned at the last minute too.

I don't think it's vanilla at all. It's fairly leftfield. It's also magnificent. The lyrics are pure poetry.

To have any man but to love only one
To wake with the moon and sleep with the sun
To be a sinner, a saint, a lover and friend
To know a beginning but never an end
To fly in the ocean, swim in the skys
Believer in truth, defendant of lies
To know the purest love, the deepest pain
To be lost and found again and again and again

BEAUTIFUL.

Last edited:
I love it so much. I remember buying it on the first day it was released, in Virgin Bristol, where I would go every single Monday after university to buy new music. I had the holographic cover. Long since flogged on eBay, mind…
Oh the Bristol Monday record shop tour. For me it was always during my lunch break. Virgin first, down to Woolworths, that little indie shop on the middle floor next to Boots (I think Boots itself had lost its own music department by then), across to WHSmith, then down to Our Price - and that was all in just one shopping centre, which has no stores selling music at all now. And indeed not that many shops at all, and is due to be demolished in the next few years.

And all that was before you got outside to the other Our Price, HMV and Rival Records. Only HMV remains now, in a smaller store opposite the old one. Plus of course only a fraction of that floorspace is dedicated to music.

You'd always see the same people as well, week in, week out.

Oh the Bristol Monday record shop tour. For me it was always during my lunch break. Virgin first, down to Woolworths, that little indie shop on the middle floor next to Boots (I think Boots itself had lost its own music department by then), across to WHSmith, then down to Our Price - and that was all in just one shopping centre, which has no stores selling music at all now. And indeed not that many shops at all, and is due to be demolished in the next few years.

And all that was before you got outside to the other Our Price, HMV and Rival Records. Only HMV remains now, in a smaller store opposite the old one. Plus of course only a fraction of that floorspace is dedicated to music.

I remember it so well. For me, frantically running around after getting the uni bus into town and trying to get everything done before the shops closed.

I have recollections of a particularly fractious look for CD2 of Janet Jackson's You Want This before the 6pm cutoff :disco:

Some of Sayhey up in arms at Kylie not promoting this on her socials and instead choosing to champion MANDY Holden.

I definitely take umbrage to the second bit.

I don't think it's vanilla at all. It's fairly leftfield. It's also magnificent. The lyrics are pure poetry.

To have any man but to love only one
To wake with the moon and sleep with the sun
To be a sinner, a saint, a lover and friend
To know a beginning but never an end
To fly in the ocean, swim in the skys
Believer in truth, defendant of lies
To know the purest love, the deepest pain
To be lost and found again and again and again

BEAUTIFUL.
[/I]
It really is wonderful, isn't it? The arrangement is absolutely right for her voice too. It just soars. Hits me in the heart every time.

In town, I had Missing and Fopp for indie/electronic stuff and Virgin and HMV right next to each other for singles and more mainstream stuff. Monday lunch time, off I trooped.

I miss it and don't, at the same time. The new ways have advantages but they are more solitary. I remember taking a Fall single to the checkout in Virgin; the assistant screwed up his eyes, look u and said "I didn't see we had this in, were there any more". Yes, there were a couple more. "I'll need to get mine in then" and, as soon as I'd paid, he duly shot off to the 7" racks.

Then there was the disapproving look from the woman who sold me the "Slow" 12" picture disc who assumed I wanted it simply because it was a picture of Kylie looking stunning.

The chap in Missing confused because I was buying Billie Piper's first album and the latest Squarepusher CD at the same time.

Ahh, the memories...

If you are referring to the song, I'm not sure it was ever meant to be called that. As for the album, they just removed the title in the UK and the assumption was made that it was called Kylie Minogue - it wasn't really.

I will say that it's really heart-warming to see how much love Dave Seaman (and Steve) still have for this record. I really wouldn't be averse to Brothers In Rhythm reforming and working with her again. I loved listening to the Dave Seaman episode of Steve's podcast - it's a shame that he's not really actively recording music any more.

If you are referring to the song, I'm not sure it was ever meant to be called that. As for the album, they just removed the title in the UK and the assumption was made that it was called Kylie Minogue - it wasn't really.
Oh, I didn't think the title of "Dreams" was meant to be IP, more that it ruined the genius sequencing move of having the title appear in the last song. I *love* a good bit of album sequencing.

I don't know if it's because of this thread but I'm listening to this album now and it's never sounded as fresh (!) before. :o I may need to reappraise and redo my rate.

Some Kind Of Bliss is sounding utterly resplendent!

Clearly it doesn't - so why do I bother?

Any 'happiness' I get from it is largely from having managed to secure it, until it arrives. After that it's just stuff that I often will never look at, never mind actually play.

I suspect that I would have moved on from it entirely, if I wasn't pulled back to it so hard for fucking Abba. Obviously more over the last year, but it's been incessant for two decades plus. He'll admit that it's ridiculous and all the things we've said above, but he's far more comfortable with it - he's found that happy spot.
You see I play my records quite often. I do stream a tonne of music, don't get me wrong, but I buy records to play them.
And yes some of the deluxe/reissue type stuff does tend to just sit on a shelf but, not too infrequently of a Saturday (like today for instance), I do enjoy a coffee with a record in the background whilst I go through liner notes and stuff. Some of the recent reissues have come with nice retrospective write-ups from the artists and I do enjoy that.
But I get it that it's not for everyone and all that.

OMG - why have I never picked up on the buzzing bee sounds at the end of Too Far before? :o

This is as much of a revelation as the actual dolphin noises in Where Is The Feeling!

Any future reissue of this record HAS to included outtakes and discarded tracks.

I'd be chomping at the bit to hear the Rob Dougan produced and Nick Cave written Soon. We nearly got this on the record too:

Even though that's clearly a Nick Cave (and The Bad Seeds) track featuring Kylie rather than the other way around. :confused:

Hang on ugh
Does the HMV version come with an EMBOSSED ART CARD PRINT
Because if not I will cancel and order from my indie store to get the PRINT

Got my Impossible Princess t-shirt pre-order in today

Can’t wait to be the beacon of taste as I strut around

If there had been a tempting bundle offer I just may have gone for it. It does look great, though.

If there had been a tempting bundle offer I just may have gone for it. It does look great, though.

All the vinyls are already on their way so we kind of didn’t have a choice

Plus it’ll go great with my Confide In Me hoodie :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom