Interesting/ annoying things about the UK

Dinner time in my house growing up was always 9.30, sometimes 10pm. Primetime TV in Spain started at 10pm!

It has a knock-on effect on bars & nightclubs as well. Arriving at a club at midnight anywhere outside the UK and being like "where the fuck is everyone?"

I've been to markets in other countries but I've never heard any of the vendors doing that fruit and veg shouting like they do at ours. I'm sure people would be interested in a punnet of strawberries for £1 if they actually SAID that, rather than 'PRNDRR STROOOOB ERRRNLER PRRRRRN'.
you haven't been to a market in BAGHDAD :eyes:

The thing I don't get about SIESTAS is if you are someone who spends time doing their hair and make-up for work, surely you have to take it all off for your nap and then start all over again afterwards?

Madness! What time does school/ work start?

I think (office) work these days is starting to align with the Saxon world so probably 9, but shops don't open until 10/11am.

School for me started at 10 until 1, then we went home for lunch until 3.30 till 5.30.

WTF!? I can't imagine having dinner before 9 pm. And if you go out for dinner during the weekend (and there is no pandemic) you can be easily enjoying your dessert at midnight :)
See, I miss this about Lebanon

The thing I don't get about SIESTAS is if you are someone who spends time doing their hair and make-up for work, surely you have to take it all off for your nap and then start all over again afterwards?

Siesta is a bit of a MYTH in this day and age I'd say. None of my friends in Spain who (used to) go to an office would go back home for a NAP. My dad for example worked in a hospital 7am to 2pm so he WOULD come home to lunch and then siesta everyday though :disco:

You say this as if we have siesta every day :D Not that I have to remove any make up, but siesta are very common in the summer, specially in the South, as it's too hot to do anything else. You don't have a siesta if you have to go back to work! Well not usually, I did this when I had a 3 hours break for lunch and lived very close from work.

I don’t remember if this was the UK or the US, maybe both, but having a washing machine in the kitchen is really strange and disgusting even.

WTF!? I can't imagine having dinner before 9 pm. And if you go out for dinner during the weekend (and there is no pandemic) you can be easily enjoying your dessert at midnight :)
Yes, I remember when I lived in mid Portugal for a year when I first got there I went into a restaurant during the week around 7 and it was very quiet so I asked “oh are you still serving?” and they looked at me as if I was a lunatic for asking. It started to fill up as I was leaving. Since that year the earliest I’d have my dinner at home now is around 7.30.

I love the Spanish siesta / eating late culture when on holiday. But it’s actually not very healthy. Eating dinner at 11 and going to bed at 12 every night for years and years is really not good for you.

I don’t think every Spaniard does it but many many do.

Well, you still need to take them out. A kitchen is just not a place for newly washed, wet clothes to be.

My washing machine and dryer are in the kitchen but not directly next to the fridge? I just don't think my clothes ever smell like food

I love the Spanish siesta / eating late culture when on holiday. But it’s actually not very healthy. Eating dinner at 11 and going to bed at 12 every night for years and years is really not good for you.

I don’t think every Spaniard does it but many many do.
11 is pushing it a bit too far, but even if occasionally it's not very often, maybe during the weekend. We go to bed later than midnight if we have dinner late anyway. But it's true that traditionally we eat a lot for dinner and it's not very healthy. I don't.

Landry rooms are mostly when you live in a house, or have a communal laundry room. In flats here the washing machine and dryer (if there are any) are always in the bathroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom