KICK MY ASS :: An Essential Garbage sync listen (TONIGHT 8PM)

I'm not as loony about them as I was circa 2001 (that's partly their fault, only partly!) however I've fallen right back in love lately and I'm so happy for it!

I love the bridge bits, like intakes of breath before Shirley's hands clench your neck asking who finished the cornflakes. Last cornflakes joke I promise.

Stupid Girl is the TITS, but somehow was almost TOO OBVIOUSLY POP. Was their biggest hit wasn't it?

I'm not as loony about them as I was circa 2001 (that's partly their fault, only partly!) however I've fallen right back in love lately and I'm so happy for it!
I was thinking earlier about how one of your usernames on the forum we knew each other from (twenty years ago :() was a Garbage song title... possibly one we'll be getting tonight! I hope so anyway :eyes:

Despite the flurry of top 10s, it's amazing how little time they actually spent in the top 40. I think even this, their biggest, was only 5 weeks. But undeniable airplay favourites which thankfully sold the shit out of the first 2 albums

I had all the first and second album singles on the most limited version I could find. I think this was on coloured vinyl.

Only Happy When it Rains is a cute entrée, but Stupid Girl is truly the main and the dessert. what a DELIGHTFUL sorbet of a banger - pure sunny, grungy, mid 90s alt-rock REALNESS.

the "don't believe in fear" bridge where it all goes a bit dark n' oppressive for a sec before BUSTING back out into that huge summery chorus is... masterful. their best song? (WE'LL SEE!)

Yeah the singles were never huge, but the albums were both BIG HITS.

Despite the flurry of top 10s, it's amazing how little time they actually spent in the top 40. I think even this, their biggest, was only 5 weeks. But undeniable airplay favourites which thankfully sold the shit out of the first 2 albums
Like a lot of other acts at the time - e.g. Suede's coming Up yielded 4 top tenners but they were all short lived..

I was thinking earlier about how one of your usernames on the forum we knew each other from (twenty years ago :() was a Garbage song title... possibly one we'll be getting tonight! I hope so anyway :eyes:

Bring back 2000 I want to START AGAIN :(

• Love
Reactions: COB

This is why I've always been so fascinated with the British charts. There were so many hits like that, surely the public couldn't have actually known all of them

Version2.0 really was were where they took their pop sensibilities and laid it on hard, while still keeping the crunching guitars and moody synths.
And yes it's in my all time top 100 albums ever

It's easy to forget exactly how much guitar is in their earlier stuff, considering what came later.

I had one WHOLE BEDROOM WALL covered in pictures of Shirley Manson I'd cut out of magazines. I wanted to be her.

This is why I've always been so fascinated with the British charts. There were so many hits like that, surely the public couldn't have actually known all of them
We have fewer radio and TV stations than America and certainly less in the 1990s.

Reactions: RJN
I still struggle sometimes working out which singles were from which album in the case of the first 2 records, since both had a similar sound and I arrived later. they really BLITZED it with that run of singles - Absolute Garbage is a classic GH.

chart trivia: Paranoid achieved the same UK peak as Push It - #9. TOO LOW!

Version2.0 really was were where they took their pop sensibilities and laid it on hard, while still keeping the crunching guitars and moody synths.

It's definitely where I got into them. Everything from this era is every genre of music and the kitchen sink thrown into one with a poppy TWANG and by fuck does it work!

This is what he PAYS me for
I'll show you how it's DONE
You learn to love the PAIN you feel
Like FATHER LIKE SON

• Love
If Queer isn't a sample already, then I'm mega surprised it's not been sampled more itself. This and Curve's Coming Up Roses I enjoy listening to back to back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom