Madame X Tour Film

That's a bit strange, as stuff like The Irishman and Roma have been Netflix exclusives that have got physical releases. However, both of those were released through Criterion, so maybe it was them that didn't want to touch a Madame X release?

Yeah I have no idea really - I'm choosing to believe because I want a physical but it is likely just gay fanfic :D

USA Today describes it as 'compelling & confounding'

4/5 from the NME

3/5 from The Guardian with a review that reads more like 1/5, as usual for that publication when it comes to her.

I don't think the Guardian article reads like 1/5. It's just a shame it feels like Petridis is judging it on what he wanted rather than what he was given.

Anyway, I'd go along with compelling and confounding. And in parts, exquisite.

All loonery aside, having seen the show twice (once in Lisbon) I have to say that she & her team have done a great job in translating what the live experience was into this tour film. This really replicates the experience as best as it could without actually seeing it live.

All loonery aside, having seen the show twice (once in Lisbon) I have to say that she & her team have done a great job in translating what the live experience was into this tour film. This really replicates the experience as best as it could without actually seeing it live.
I guess I need to watch it without ad breaks taking me out of it every 10/15 minutes.

1911CE1F-8437-451A-88F6-6CACF680DD2B.jpeg
Love how she referenced the Smash Hits article from 93 when she was 35 in the opening montage

It does show how Smash Hits changed into a teen (perhaps even tween) mag over the years. I remember reading it from the late 70s onwards and as it featured acts in their 30s I'm fairly sure.

Although thinking about it, they probably weren't women.

The '92 JPG fashion show where she modelled her tits was in an issue of Smash Hits actually at the time..

I can't remember if I was still buying every issue at that point, but I'm sure I bought that one as I would still have been collecting at that point.

I remember thinking pop music became a lot more infantilised in the late 90s (although this may be largely due to being late 20s myself then), but I don't remember Madonna feeling particularly OLD to me in 93. And looking at the chart for that period, it's not like it was teenagers dominating.

The '92 JPG fashion show where she modelled her tits was in an issue of Smash Hits actually at the time..
I remember a couple of mags (quite possibly not Smash Hits) where they had put stars on her nips

I think Smash Hits went off her with Erotica and then Mariah arrived and that's when Madonna didn't win best female singer in the POLL WINNERS PARTY or something. I remember '94 or something and I don't even think she was number 2 behind Mariah and I thought 'oh shit.'

Mind you they had some really crap people reviewing music at the time. They called Bedtime Stories 'supermarket music' and said that 'Deeper & Deeper' was the only decent track on Erotica because it sampled 'Vogue'.

That being said they had a special issue where the 'celebs' reviewed Erotica and queen Dannii Minogue loved it of course. :disco:

Didn’t she make it to the cover again in 01 “Madonna Rules U.K.” I still have it somewhere . Basically just Steps and Atkmic kitten praising her

I remember that but I had stopped buying Smash Hits by then

The 12-page foldout poster in the August 1992 issue was the best.

They mentioned in there that will be a lesbian orientated track on her next album called Eating Out.

Four songs in and I'm not sure I'm enjoying it. The bit with her kids was lovely and a very welcome bit of warmth in a show that felt very chilly up to that point.

Some thoughts: The opening section with the typing and the dancer gave me a headache. She's so keen to be seen as an "artist" that it feels rather tiresome. The first costume (George Washington?) was horrible. I don't think "Human Nature" is as edgy as she seems to think it is, it certainly doesn't need wheeling out as often as she does.

I'll give the rest a try this evening :D

Next set of songs then:

- Vogue - the worst live performance of this I've seen. Blond Ambition was the pinnacle but I love the Girlie Show twist too. The MDNA version ran them both close. There is no energy in this version at all.

- I Don't Search: fine but she looks so stiff and actually uncomfortable at times (which goes for the rest of the show so far really).

- Polaroid bit: I bet she thinks this was the funniest thing ever. It works much better watching it than it sounded at the time. Thanks for addressing the grills :D

- American Life: the perfect song to follow up the Polaroid section, guitar or no guitar :disco: She looks a lot more relaxed in this one.

I hope you're not joking :D
Absolutely not - I think the fado section is the best live work of hers I've seen in well over a decade, if not more. And I imagine (@Suedey @Dr Lecter to confirm) it suited the intimacy of the venues perfectly. I can't imagine it would have worked anywhere near as well in an arena or stadium.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom