Mariah Misc 2020

God, Rainbow really was a SHIT era for anyone who liked a DANCE.

I enjoyed how fondly she spoke of Rainbow in the memoir. It was a great era. The promo was iconic. She was extremely fun. And the bops. Great bops, beautiful ballads.

The way this memoir crystallises the meaning behind so many of the songs we’ve been listening to for years, or decades. What a fulfilling join-the-dots moment.

The way this memoir crystallises the meaning behind so many of the songs we’ve been listening to for years, or decades. What a fulfilling join-the-dots moment.
Agree. This is why her omissions about her life post-Emancipation are frustrating. It would have been great to get more insight behind Thirsty, Camouflage, Cry, Portrait, GTFO, amongst others.

Rainbow is such an iconic artistic statement when you know the context.

Can't Take That Away is a war-cry that is frankly superior and more resonant than almost all of the Walter ballads
Bliss is very "this is how I sound when I'm being fucked right"
Did I Do That? is such an FU
Petals is... Petals

How have we been sleeping on this album for decades?

I’d always cited Did I Do That as her worst song over the years, but listening back now... I see no flaws.

How have we been sleeping on this album for decades?
with ease considering it's mostly CRAP

Can't Take That Away better than her Walter balladry? :D it doesn't have a single memorable melody, don't make me laugh

Can't Take That Away is one of her best ever songs. This is just a fact. Ms Diane came through.

I’m with Jark on Can’t Take That Away. It’s not a PATCH on her Walter ballads. On paper it has everything an epic Mariah ballad should have, but it never quite lives up to the promise.

I must declare that I’ve never been a huge fan of Diane Warren’s rather GAUCHE melodies.

Lambs, should we start a grassroots campaign for a Mariah forum or are things fine the way they are?

On the Mariah's Theme debate, I kind of agree with both sides.

YES I think it's a soaring, inspirational wonder and is my go-to when I am facing hardships in this life (lord they do try)

YES I think her ballads with W*lter are untouchable and will never be bettered

Hope that helps

"I can't believe what I see"

Can't Take That Away is a diva staple.
I'm really not sure you know the meaning of staple hun :D in your own Spotify, perhaps. is it ever referenced anywhere in pop culture, sung by other people, featured in popular media ANYWHERE, does it have any kind of legacy as a song beyond fan fave for a certain type of "discerning" Mariah stan? no.

Lambs, should we start a grassroots campaign for a Mariah forum or are things fine the way they are?
I do find it A BIT ANNOYING that the divas forum is infested with Mariah threads. although I am posting in them all.

I'm really not sure you know the meaning of staple hun :D in your own Spotify, perhaps. is it ever referenced anywhere in pop culture, sung by other people, featured in popular media ANYWHERE, does it have any kind of legacy as a song beyond fan fave for a certain type of "discerning" Mariah stan? no.
Sadly I must agree

Much as the lambily loves it, it’s a Pointless answer (UK TV reference, sorry KC)

I meant that it's the type of song that should be in ever diva's repertoire. Melodramatic, empowering and a vocal climax OTHER FAVES could never.

Oh good I was worried this was going to be like the time you said peak Gaga was as big as/bigger than peak Spice Girls :)

The Rainbow remixes are all LOVELY. I'm even shaking and crying to the Westlife version of Against All Odds.

Meanwhile, after one week with The Rarities, I am ready to declare it one of the best Mariah albums EVER. The run from One Night through to Mesmerized is sending me.

The Rainbow edition of MC30 has made me revisit Do You Know Where You’re Going To (Theme from “Mahogany”) and it really is awful.

Oh yes she was on WWHL last night!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom