Melodifestivalen 2019: Deltävling One - Göteborg

Mohombi might be a fairly big name for Melodifestivalen but he comes across no better than a 2nd rate Boris René.

That was clearly based on personality and not performance.

“Where is the love that starts with hello”?! What a crock of shite

I’ve never been on the “The show needs a revamp” train, but tonight it started to show its age, and the songs just weren’t good enough.

Anna was the only one with a slightly memorable chorus, and even then it wasn’t that good. Christer better have saved some top-drawer songs for the other weeks, because I don’t hold much hope for Sweden if the team feel that any of the songs tonight could send Sweden to the Final in May.

Putting Anna in the pimp slot feels a bit cruel and ill-judged in retrospect. It just wasn't a good enough song to warrant it, and it set up unrealistic expectations of how much the voters might get behind her. I honestly think she was super lucky to scrape in 4th place.

We have some results:

There was a total of 7,158,333 votes cast.

5th - Mina bränder – Zeana feat. Anis don Demina - 980 354 votes (13.70%)
6th - No Drama – High15 - 814 839 votes (11.38%)
7th - Mina fyra årstider – Arja Saijonmaa - 507 727 votes (7.09%)

1st-4th is 4,855,413 votes (67.83%)

So it seems that the new app hasn't really changed the voting THAT much, and apart from Arja, it's could be quite close between the others. 100% divided equally by 7 is around 14.3%.

This really was the worst opening heat in YEARS (since 2013?). Hello was mortifying, High 15 were horrendous, and the only saving grace from Nano's song was that it didn't go direkt. Arja was fun, but obviously doomed.

Anna, Wiktoria and Mina bränder were wonderful, but only Wiktoria felt like an unalloyed triumph of the three.

Ashes to Ashes is exquisite in studio, but FUCK ME it really cries out for a big backing choir vocal on the final chorus a la Crucified to send it that last bit higher...

I also did not notice those strings at all... They're fabulous at the end. I think she should have strings on stage to draw attention to it.

And combine the key change with a fire curtain (come on, the song's about fire) you could have had something special.

I gave up on this after the snooze fest of the last few years. Anything to report?

We have some results:

There was a total of 7,158,333 votes cast.

5th - Mina bränder – Zeana feat. Anis don Demina - 980 354 votes (13.70%)
6th - No Drama – High15 - 814 839 votes (11.38%)
7th - Mina fyra årstider – Arja Saijonmaa - 507 727 votes (7.09%)

1st-4th is 4,855,413 votes (67.83%)

So it seems that the new app hasn't really changed the voting THAT much, and apart from Arja, it's could be quite close between the others. 100% divided equally by 7 is around 14.3%.

It seems a bit strange for them to publish the raw vote numbers, especially when that’s not how the results are being worked out this year. Seems like they’re opening themselves up for criticism if it turns out that Anna or Nano came 4th with fewer votes than Zeana ft. Anis for example.

On YouTube Zeana has 134K views, Anna 69K and Nano 54K, so that may well be a possibility

Why would anyone want to watch that Nano rubbish again? At least Zeana was fun.

Zeana is also doing better on Spotify than the other two. But I suspect it’s just because that kind of song is more suited to the Spotify generation. The thing with Melodifestivalen is that it’s quite hard for unknowns to break through to the final - it DOES happen like Wiktoria in 2016, but 90% of the DTFs at least are known names. It’s even harder for girls to break through.

Zeana really should have made AC over Nano. :(

The thing with Melodifestivalen is that it’s quite hard for unknowns to break through to the final - it DOES happen like Wiktoria in 2016, but 90% of the DTFs at least are known names. It’s even harder for girls to break through.
John Lundvik? Mariette? Ben Ingrosso? Ace Wilder? Nano? Isa?

You get one or two BASICALLY EVERY YEAR!

I meant unknown to NORMAL PEOPLE! You'd be surprised how many members of the public can't pick Rita Ora out of a crowd, despite her nominally being the UK's biggest popstar right now. I seriously doubt most Swedes would have recognised Ben Ingrosso from KIDS MF, rather than going "oh yeah, him that's the son of Piccadilly Whatshername..."

God this was a terrible semi, and I say that as a 2018 apologist :zombie:

John Lundvik? Mariette? Ben Ingrosso? Ace Wilder? Nano? Isa?

You get one or two BASICALLY EVERY YEAR!

I meant unknown to NORMAL PEOPLE! You'd be surprised how many members of the public can't pick Rita Ora out of a crowd, despite her nominally being the UK's biggest popstar right now. I seriously doubt most Swedes would have recognised Ben Ingrosso from KIDS MF, rather than going "oh yeah, him that's the son of Piccadilly Whatshername..."

Mariette was known from Idol, and PL already mentioned Benjamin - he was DEFINITELY well known, the family are always in the media for one reason or another, they even had a reality TV series! A nobody he was NOT. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Ace Wilder and Isa I'll give you, but both were before the app vote came into place. The app has definitely made it harder for unknowns to get through.

From this app voting era there IS Nano and John Lundvik, but that's just a couple. It definitely IS harder now.

Last edited:
I have been playing Ashes to Ashes plenty the last couple of weeks. In recorded form it really is excellent, I hope they tinker with the staging for AC.

I take it they are rot but there are alleged full voting figures for the first heat on Wikipedia.

A bit odd if Mohombi went from fifth to runner up in the second voting round, but nice to think that Nano may have been a not exactly glorious fourth.

Reactions: D5K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom