Miley Cyrus - Endless Summer Vacation + grammy winner at last

I don't think they really care - 'Flowers' is carrying the albam even more than they thought it would.
it's #30 in its 9th week on the chart, that's not great at all for somebody with the biggest single of the year. The Weeknd's GH and evermore by Taylor are higher!

I don't imagine their plan for this stage of the campaign was for Angels Like You, a 3 year old song released on another record label, to be the song that's smashing.

Bit of a vague message from her but essentially getting the idea that she's just not in the right headspace for a big tour/promo right now and fair enough. Fair play to her for recognising it.

At least Flowers and Angels Like You are keeping her in dough and tiktoks.

"If you've been following my career you know that I always change". Self aware queen.

For what it's worth, I don't think she's been on a tour bus for a DECADE at least, but if I had already made my millions aged twelve I also wouldn't bother slumming it in a MOBILE HOME.

Not Miley fans claiming that her lacklustre approach to promotion is down to her being ensnared by a BLOOD CULT :D

Screenshot_20230713-111748.png

:D

something is being teased - Used to Be Young is a new/unreleased song. so presumably a deluxe edition and tour announcement?

But I thought she was YOUNGER NOW?

She lied to us through song.

I read she's releasing a 10 year old anniversary edition of Bangerz and this song is a leftover from those sessions? 🧐

Oprah So What Is The Truth GIF

it's a new song, nothing to do with the Bangerz reissue. from British Vogue:

She says recently, a songwriter came to her with a track. “It was like, you know, the standard f**ked up in the club track. And I was like, ‘I’m two years sober. That’s not where I spend my time, you know. You’re more likely to catch me and my friends literally walking through rose gardens or going to a museum.’” She laughs. “It’s not about being self-serious. I’m just evolved.”
It inspired her to write a different song. She hopes to release it soon, she explains, as she recites a line from it to me, her eye contact steady, her voice calm.
“I know I used to be crazy,” she says. “I know I used to be fun. You say I used to be wild. I say I used to be young.”

Used to Be Young is out next friday. there's also part 2 of the ESV: Backyard Sessions airing on ABC the day before including a debut live perf.

miley.jpg

I adore Miley with my entire being and really consider Plastic Hearts one of the top 5 albums of the current decade... but Endless Summer Staycation has had zero impact on me. I took Rose Colored Lenses and You and ran.

I really need her to step it up next time. and actually leave her mansion and do some fucking promo.

the album... well...

Plastic Hearts it is not

to flesh out my thoughts from yesterday, having played this twice in full now...

the "AM" section (first 5/6 tracks) is fucking boring. Jaded feels like a slog to get through, Rose Colored Lenses is a bit better but still feels laboured in terms of the songwriting. Thousand Miles is a real fucking snooze, and the attempt to turn it into a Harry Styles track at the end actually made me angry.

You is a fantastic song, but whatever they've done with the production is bizarre. it feels audibly like a song that's been through many iterations, the final one being this uncomfortable mix of raw rock ballad and flat electronic pop song. a real shame, but at least we have the far superior live version.

not sure if Handstand is a great song per se but it's interesting and the way it goes all electronic to segue into the second half of the album is well done.

River... like many songs here feels very first-draft. like, that chorus needed some serious work, it's lazy. the middle 8 is hot but over way too soon. Violet Chemistry is probably the best track on the album? a more successful banger than River. but even there the chorus has some odd melodic things going on and the vocal is buried too deep.

I surprisingly don't hate Muddy Feet, quite good. Wildcard needs more plays. Island feels like it might have been the blueprint for this record - it's relaxed, breezy, sensual, a properly good song. Wonder Woman wants very badly to be Golden G String but it's undercooked.

the whole thing just feels surprisingly demoish, flatly produced (Kid Harpoon is a horrible fit for her) and melodically meh. I'm quite surprised the label allowed this album to be released in its current state actually.

one of my top 3 albums of the last 5 years :D

I've been cherry picking from this and truly it's all so boring, I still can't believe she's made an album with no new Miley classics. I don't see myself coming back to anything here six months from now.

You is the best song and maybe I'll get over the production and bring that one with me. and Island will probably hit different in the Barcelona sun this summer.

6.2 from Pitchfork which is all it deserves

I can't be bothered hitting play on that after seeing everyone describe it as her most boring video ever. Miley really said I won't leave my mansion this entire campaign.

I adore Miley with my entire being and really consider Plastic Hearts one of the top 5 albums of the current decade... but Endless Summer Staycation has had zero impact on me. I took Rose Colored Lenses and You and ran.

I really need her to step it up next time. and actually leave her mansion and do some fucking promo.

Does anyone know whether @Jark likes this album?

I've only kept Violet Chemistry and River. whoever thought Jaded was good enough for a single needs their meds.

"River" and "Jaded" also just passed 100m streams on Spotify. Those numbers are dwarfed by "Flowers"' 1.4 billion but "Jaded" made it to #12 on pop radio as of this week and inside top ten hot AC. 12 weeks on Hot 100 so far too. Wish it could've properly took off.

So the new song will be from the snappily-titled ENDLESS SUMMER VACATION: CONTINUED (BACKYARD SESSIONS) + INFECTED + BROKE THE GIRL CODE

Last edited:

It's a lovely ballad.

The lipsyncing in the video needs some work.

Reactions: dUb
That’s really nice. We don’t get enough classic ballids these days.

Reactions: GNL
This whole era is such a fucking snooze for me. She needs a decent songwriter and producer instead of going rogue. WHERE are the melodies?

This is nice, but just the direction after FLOWERS has been all over the place.

I really can't muster up much enthusiasm for her at the moment. The new song is fine, but I don't need to hear it again.

her speeches were each very cute and funny. love her stanning Mariah.

no it's true, it's true. immediately one of her most iconic looks.

• Love
Reactions: GNL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom