Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 5 - Croatia, Latvia, Serbia & Montenegro RESULTS

1st: Brainstorm - My Star (158pts)
View attachment 7028

MESMERING

Really, it's astonishing seeing how Latvia decided to go for much of the rest of the decade when they got it SO RIGHT with their debut. Pulling out a woozy, winsome psychedelic orchestral delight which could've easily stood up with the best of Britpop in the charts of 1995 was one thing. Pairing it up with a performer as transfixingly weird as Renars Kaupars was another. It feels like it could've at any second gone a hair too offbeat and ended up as novelty freakery, but the 'shrooms just kicked in babes!' vibe worked perfectly, with a performance really just based entirely on Renars FLAILING AND MINCING (™ VoR) across the stage ending up compellingly watchable, scoring Latvia a podium finish from the off (and really, it's a dying shame this wasn't the one they won with...)

The dearly departed @Dinlo once described this as "the track that'll be playing when I eventually walk up the aisle", and honestly, I hope he DID eventually manage to score that one - it's a track that'd fit a wedding day beautifully. Moopy sends it through to the semi-finals as Latvia's qualifier by nine points, and as the third male qualifiers all in all.

8 x 12 (Penelope, VoR, Queen of the Bay, Jacques, win_the_game, Ill Advised, Pingu, Madison)
1 x 1 (David 5000 - PERVERT!)

This is decent, and very much the correct runner-up.

(and really, it's a dying shame this wasn't the one they won with...)
You Tell Em Tv Land GIF by The Soul Man

Right, let's see if there's any way I can get this train into the station before midnight :basil:

10th: Dragonfly feat. Dado Topić - Vjerujem u ljubav (33pts)
640px-ESC_2007_Croatia_-_Dragonfly_%26_Dado_Topic_-_Vjerujem_u_ljubav.jpg

More last by virtue of not arousing any particular sense of excitement out of anyone than much particular loathing, this cut-price Santana album track saw the Croats miss the final for the first time as an independent nation since their debut in 1993. Though really, given it's basically the embodiment of going through the motions, they could hardly really complain. Dragonfly were no Albina, that's for sure.

3 x 4 (auretz, ButterTart, Tetris-Rock)
5 x 0 (Suomi, VoR, Soldi, Music, Pingu)

Right, let's see if there's any way I can get this train into the station before midnight :basil:

10th: Dragonfly feat. Dado Topić - Vjerujem u ljubav (33pts)
640px-ESC_2007_Croatia_-_Dragonfly_%26_Dado_Topic_-_Vjerujem_u_ljubav.jpg

More last by virtue of not arousing any particular sense of excitement out of anyone than much particular loathing, this cut-price Santana album track saw the Croats miss the final for the first time as an independent nation since their debut in 1993. Though really, given it's basically the embodiment of going through the motions, they could hardly really complain. Dragonfly were no Albina, that's for sure.

3 x 4 (auretz, ButterTart, Tetris-Rock)
5 x 0 (Suomi, VoR, Soldi, Music, Pingu)
I gave that 4? How extraordinary of me.

Another one that I did listen to before voting in this round, but that I could not now hum if there was a gun pointed at my head.

9th: Kraljevi ulice feat. 75 Cents - Romanca (45pts)
formation-kraljevi-ulice-75-cents-representing-croatia-at-the-second-D4EWDF.jpg

Another Eurovision death! Although to be fair, the 75 year old carking it two years after is much more in the range of what you'd ordinarily expect to find out...

Anyway, this one has its (lightly sinister) charms when the old man isn't barking all over it - but then, almost certainly wouldn't have stood as much chance of making it to the grand finale without him. One you could happily imagine playing in the background over dinner in Dubrovnik, albeit not much more.

2 x 6 (dmlaw, Tisch)
7 x 0 (Queen of the Bay, Jacques, David 5000, win_the_game, Diddy, Ill Advised, ZenGiraffe)

Although the song was awful, I applaud Eurovision for being a safe space for such an ancient, confused old derelict to live out their fantasy of pop stardom in their twilight years.

Although the song was awful, I applaud Eurovision for being a safe space for such an ancient, confused old derelict to live out their fantasy of pop stardom in their twilight years.
Sorry, I was still talking about Charlotte. I didn't realise we were on the Bosnian songs already.

8th: Igor Cukrov - Lijepa tena (69pts)
Croatia-Igor-Cukro_1402437i.jpg

The swarthily handsome Igor here - I'm going to need an Insta update boyz, I can just sense he's got himself some standard order 2020s facial hair these days to get you all sopping through your Lijepa tena pads - found his way to fame six months before through the first season of Operacija triumf, the Balkan answer to Fame Academy (AGOG that was still making waves anywhere in 2008).

He lost out to eventual Bosnian wailing tool Vukašin Brajić, but bounced back pretty quickly regardless by bagging himself the Croat ticket to Moscow Stockholm for 2009 with a track written by Tonči Huljić, one of Croatia's most prominent musicians and the composer behind one of the greatest Eurovision entries of all time, Nostalgija.

Sadly it wasn't quite up to that standard, being essentially the platonic ideal of a Balkan entry from central casting, but it still scored itself a creditable jury save and holding pattern 18th place finish once there - which, frankly, is better than Croatia managed for much of the decade after.

2 x 8 (Queen of the Bay, Music)
1 x 0 (Penelope)

I like that one and I would absolutely put up a minimal fight at best if Igor staggered into my dorm room at 3am looking menacing.

7th: Ivan Mikulić - You Are The Only One (72pts)
ivan-mikulic-of-croatia-performs-his-song-you-are-the-only-one-during-picture-id50842330

Oh, bless :D

Representing the moment @Diddy know it’s Christmas gets up at the work karaoke and sings his heart out for the gods, this is basically the closest Croatia ever got to going down the road of all-out basic ABBA. There's a lot to love here in my book - to say the least, that Ivan had the decency to have a male ballad that year and not wear white - but it's one that ends up just a touch crushed out of doing much by the sheer wealth of competition around it in the Croatian round.

2 x 12 (Pingu, Diddy)
3 x 0 (auretz, dmlaw, Tisch)

Not awful, but TWO TWELVES?!

The enunciation kinda ruins it for me tbh.

EWEARE DA OWWWWNLY WAAAAAN! :zombie:

Reactions: D5K
6th: Goran Karan - Kad zaspu anđeli (78pts)
kadzaspuandeli.jpg

Still deep in the realm of Croatia in 'man brooding and smouldering for three minutes' mode here. I was pleasantly surprised how well this one went down in the voting by and large - I'd expected Goran's Weird Al aesthetic to put most of you off at the door.

A respectable top ten here, albeit without much to write home about. He wanted to perform this one in English but was overruled - I think for the wiser, really, given the native language feels like it adds to this. Notable also for Croatia once again returning to the well of the gimmick of a woman in a dark veil whipping it off at the key moment to reveal a light dress (IT'S A METAPHOR!!!!!!)

1 x 10 (Soldi)
2 x 0 (ButterTart, Kevin7)

5th: Boris Novković feat. Lado - Vukovi umiru sami (96pts)
Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 22.26.50.png

Like a Balkan Ed Miliband. Now here's someone who could really do with some standard order 2020s facial hair...

This one was a touch undersold by its 11th place finish, given 115 points was Croatia's best haul since its 90s glory days - and, indeed, the most it managed to cobble together in one night all decade. Still Balkan, still brooding, though this one really pulls out the stops and ramps up the drama from the middle eight onwards (the Lado backing singers YELLING "DUNAVOM!" for their LIVES! :disco:)

For me though, the most jawdropping moment is when the tattooed freak on the drums decides to SEIZE THE MOMENT during the bagpipes and start doing a handstand out of nowhere, completely out of context with the song next to Boris - you can almost hear the cry of "look mum!" through the screen!

4 x 10 (Penelope, Queen of the Bay, ButterTart, dmlaw)
1 x 0 (Tetris-Rock)

I can’t believe Vesna got more points than Boris Novković. Moopy will throw votes at any old vagina.

4th: Vesna Pisarović - Everything I Want (135pts)
144364_229231-eurovision2002croatiavesnapisaroviceverythingiwantyoutube-ff-1000x0_f.jpg

Serving full '90s nonsense playing in the background at The Bronze in Sunnydale', the 2002 contest was perhaps a little too soon after the 90s for the denizens of Europe to trust a Croatian entrant turning up and insisting love was really everything they wanted, and Vesna duly finished 11th.

She had much better to come after this though, penning the indomitable In The Disco for Deen two years later :disco: And apparently in October 2019 Vesna went on Croatian radio to reveal she'd been working on her upcoming album since 2006. Can't wait Ves! :basil:

2 x 12 (Jacques, dmlaw)
1 x 0 (Madison)

7th: Ivan Mikulić - You Are The Only One (72pts)
ivan-mikulic-of-croatia-performs-his-song-you-are-the-only-one-during-picture-id50842330

Oh, bless :D

Representing the moment @Diddy know it’s Christmas gets up at the work karaoke and sings his heart out for the gods, this is basically the closest Croatia ever got to going down the road of all-out basic ABBA. There's a lot to love here in my book - to say the least, that Ivan had the decency to have a male ballad that year and not wear white - but it's one that ends up just a touch crushed out of doing much by the sheer wealth of competition around it in the Croatian round.

2 x 12 (Pingu, Diddy)
3 x 0 (auretz, dmlaw, Tisch)

And I’d do a great job of it TOO! :evil:

3rd: Vanna - Strings of My Heart (139pts)
denmark-eurovision-song-contest-2001-may-2001-shutterstock-editorial-8839078e.jpg

Without a doubt the Miss Congeniality of this round, I certainly wasn't expecting to enjoy THIS one anywhere near as much as I did but OMG what a tacky little delight! The thing could practically pass for a lesser Donna Summer single from the glory years!

I'll confess though, with the endless giggles I've got out of Vanna's SULTRY OIL TANKER FRUGGING her way through the backing singer middle eight, the more I've thought and found out about this entry since it first re-entered my conscious, the more I've found to UTTERLY BAFFLE ME. The GHASTLY fluorescent beige satin ensemble! The utter lack of stage presence - paired with the fact she apparently has MORE OF A CAREER than Sandrine Francois ever did, and one that LASTS TO THIS DAY in Croatia! The fact this woman has released ELEVEN ALBUMS AND IS STILL HAVING TOP THREE HITS DOMESTICALLY AS OF THIS YEAR!

WHAT A WORLD :D

2 x 12 (win_the_game, Tetris-Rock)
1 x 1 (Queen of the Bay)

So - did Moopy go for Croatia's answer to Linda Bengtzing in Severina, or Croatia's answer to Ace Wilder in Claudia Beni?

A giant is SLAIN!

2nd: Severina - Moja štikla (167pts)
athens-greece-croatias-severina-performs-the-song-moja-stikla-during-picture-id57666654

The "only bona fide Croatian celebrity". The best selling artist of the decade on home turf. The most googled person of the year in Croatia and Slovenia in the year 2015. And yes - eleven albums released during her career to match up to Vanna. And still! Still none of this was enough to get Severina into the top ten at Eurovision - or more importantly, the Croatian ticket to the Moopyvision 00s semi-finals!

Basically three minutes of manic big dick energy, this turbo-folk slut anthem came, ripped its dress off, threw in as many double entendres and English dirty talk mondegreens as it could, and didn't care who got offended along the way (with this causing all manner of kerfuffle at home, what with turbo-folk's not-entirely at peace place - or perception with traditionalists - in Croatian culture). And really, when it's this much fun, who cares about where it all finishes at the end? (After all - you certainly don't get much of a sense Severina cares where you finish! :basil:)

7 x 12 (VoR, Soldi, Queen of the Bay, Music, Ill Advised, ZenGiraffe, Madison)
2 x 2 (Jacques, Kevin7)

Fun story, I googled Igor and naturally clicked his wiki page - I saw his photo and thought “well I guess it WAS 12 years ago, but he still looks good for it”

Before releasing the photo was from 2009 :basil:

1st: Claudia Beni - Više nisam tvoja (186pts)
813683.jpg

Casually sashaying in and sending Croatia's biggest celebrity off for an early shower by a 19 point margin - it's the world's most non-chalant 16 year old :disco:

Honestly, when it comes to this phonetic LYRICAL MIRACLE I cannot rave enough - I'm astonished, aghast and delighted all at once that Moopy's given this nonsense the Croatian ticket :D Where to begin? The clunking choreography! The REPETITION of the backing dancer lotus trick every single time for "SAY it PROPELLOR!"! The sense throughout the entire thing she'd rather be backstage lighting up a spliff and watching a Family Guy boxset! The moment of MAXIMUM DRAMA at the key change/language change moment which I look forward to recreating performing outside @Suomi's wedding reception I'll be banned from attending! Kala on backing vocals getting his life during the EXACT SAME BIT!

kalavise.gif

ART!

7 x 12 (Penelope, Suomi, auretz, ButterTart, David 5000, Kevin7, Tisch)
1 x 3 (Ill Advised)

• Love
Reactions: D5K
Do you know my biggest objection to this? It’s not actually a bilingual song. It’s two entirely different songs with the same backing track which she performs at the same time.

Which gives us the following scores on the doors after Round 5 out of 12 (nearly halfway!). 2000 and 2009 tot up their third entries apiece, 2007 gets its first, and a near-miss holds 2006 off from getting its sixth entry, while instead 2003 gets its first after four bridesmaid finishes in the first four rounds! Which means only 2004 and 2005 (:o) remain entryless so far in the semi-finals. Will that change next round?

Round 1
Former former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: XXL - 100% te ljubam (2000)
Sweden: Charlotte Perrelli - Hero (2008)
United Kingdom: Jessica Garlick - Come Back (2002)

Round 2
Estonia: Urban Symphony - Rändajad (2009)
Germany: Texas Lightning - No No Never (2006)
Poland: Ich Troje feat. Real McCoy - Follow My Heart (2006)

Round 3
Belgium: Kate Ryan - Je t'adore (2006)
Romania: Mihai Trăistariu - Tornerò (2006)
Russia: Alsou - Solo (2000)

Round 4
Bosnia-Herzegovina: Hari Mata Hari - Lejla (2006)
France: Natasha St-Pier - Je n'ai que mon âme (2001)
Ireland: Sinead Mulvey & Black Daisy - Et cetera (2009)

Round 5
Croatia: Claudia Beni - Više nisam tvoja (2003)
Latvia: Brainstorm - My Star (2000)
Montenegro: Andrea Demirović - Just Get Out of My Life (2009)
Serbia: Marija Šerifović - Molitva (2007)

2000: 3
2001: 1
2002: 1
2003: 1
2004: 0
2005: 0
2006: 5
2007: 1
2008: 1
2009: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back