Neighbours D̶E̶A̶D̶ ALIVE!

Can we not all just chip in a fiver to keep Karl and Susan alive (are they still in it?)
Agreed and I think they are! They could totally just slim it down the Karl and Susan with Karl having affairs, Susan getting amnesia with the occasional cameo from Lou or Lyn Scully.

The shade scenes between Susan and Izzy were always amazing. Natalie just couldn’t quite compete in the acting stakes though.

Lynn "noted life coach" Scully was quite underrated. In hindsight she was serving Irene from Eastenders energy.

Mr L is currently watching some Australian drama he was in from about 2010, I believe. He's hot AF in that.

The story seems to have changed to 'axed in the UK' this morning with Channel 5 stating they won't show it beyond summer. Network 10 in Australia supposedly determined to save the show, but need a new backer.
This seems to be it - Channel 5 must foot the lion’s share of the production costs and without a UK broadcast it is as good as cancelled. Expect ITV is the only port of call, but that is probably unlikely.

To be fair, the viewing figures are still quite impressive.

I like the fact that Scott and Charlene’s wedding had more UK viewers than the entire population of Australia at the time :D

The top episode was #13 for the week on Channel 5 last week, with 937k viewers. The top show was Warship: Life At Sea with 1.880m.

So although ratings aren't great in total, it does deliver a 20% audience share for 5, which is easily more than double what most of its shows get. That Warship show got 16%, and only five of the other top 50 shows got 10% or more. In terms of commercial TV and selling advertising, I'd have thought it was doing reasonably well.

Last edited:
The top episode was #13 for the week on Channel 5 last week, with 937k viewers. The top show was Warship: Life At Sea with 1.880m.

So although ratings aren't great in total, it does deliver a 20% audience share for 5, which is easily more than double what most of its shows get. That Warship show got 16%, and only five of the other top 50 shows got 10% or more. In terms of commercial TV and selling advertising, I'd have thought it was doing reasonably well.
Interesting - it must just cost them a fortune then, in terms of the fee to Fremantle. Hard to see a way through that.

If I remember correctly, the BBC wanted to keep it at the time but the cost was so astronomical it couldn’t be justified.

Actually, the ratings are better than I thought - I didn't realise Neighbours is still shown twice a day, and the figure I quoted is only the lunchtime showing, and the evening repeats all got in the 450k - 550k range as well.

From what I can see, Home And Away is only on once each day, and its top episode only got 424k, so less than a third what Neighbours gets in total.

Home and Away must be far far cheaper then. The UK must be the only market for ‘Neighbours’ on this basis.

It looks like Home and Away has a much larger domestic audience in Australia than Neighbours.

I remember reading somewhere that Neighbours focuses more on the UK than Australia in terms of choosing cast members and storylines.

Backed up by the fact that they’re not averse to a ludicrous EastEnders dream sequence.

I remember reading somewhere that Neighbours focuses more on the UK than Australia in terms of choosing cast members and storylines.

Backed up by the fact that they’re not averse to a ludicrous EastEnders dream sequence.

The fuck

The story seems to have changed to 'axed in the UK' this morning with Channel 5 stating they won't show it beyond summer. Network 10 in Australia supposedly determined to save the show, but need a new backer.

412795.jpg

Did Carl and Susan’s son not go on to success in Hollywood, or did I make that up?

He's in something with Steve from Sex And The City now which Mr L watches. Some emergency services (fire, I think) drama.

Oh bless them. There seems to be the odd rumbling about ITV but probably just speculation.

I hope someone does pick it up, not that I have watched it for many years

Neighbours theme #3 on iTunes singles chart, #4 on albums

You get home from school, you have a bowl of cereal and watch Neighbours!

What, at 5.30? Just before dinner? Why does this make me angry? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom