Next Tory leader/ UK Prime Minister (2022)

Least disgusting?

• Total voters
Not much change for the favourites. Mordaunt’s odds tightened, and Truss’s got a bit longer:

E6E931BA-3728-4D02-89D9-F06C900D38A1.jpeg

It would be quite funny if Zahawi didn't get to keep the chancellor job after all his maneuvering.

So fascinating all the big hitters leaving and a bunch of people I barely heard of a month ago are doing well.

Who was it who said the Tory membership are almost entirely white men over 60 in the South East? Yeah they’re not going to vote a brown person in as PM. Rishi has no chance.

It feels like ‘ar Penny has it in the bag.

yeah I think there's a lot of support for Truss and a lot on the party's right who'll be tactical in making sure she's in.

I don’t see Rishi winning the votes of the membership, so it’s down to whoever makes the final 2, so it’s whether the moderates decide to rally around Penny, or the loons around Truss.

This is the moment they decide if they want to have a shot at winning the next election or not - there is definitely a sense of an exhausted party which is out of ideas and may want a period of opposition (and that party will choose the charmless and witless Truss).

I don’t see Rishi winning the votes of the membership, so it’s down to whoever makes the final 2, so it’s whether the moderates decide to rally around Penny, or the loons around Truss.
100% this.

I do think it will come down to a Truss/Sunak ballot for the membership because I can see a lot of Braverman and Badenoch's swivel-eyed supporters switching to Truss if/when they drop out.

Penny needs to hoover up Hunt and (in time) Tugendhat backers (and suspect she will)

100% this.

I do think it will come down to a Truss/Sunak ballot for the membership because I can see a lot of Braverman and Badenoch's swivel-eyed supporters switching to Truss if/when they drop out.
That makes sense yet I find it hard to call. Braverman has very much posited herself on the basis of her right-wing policies but also on Brexit. Kemi more on the former than the latter but really upon the being the ‘fresh start’ above anything else. I definitely see a significant switch to Truss as the next closest ideologically but with both eliminated there isn’t really a natural home for either of their supporters.

And of course I think Truss is so transparently an ideological chameleon that she probably doesn’t elicit a great deal of trust (hence that lukewarm first round showing).

Mordaunt is still spreading fundamental lies about Brexit:

I don’t think PEN is the electoral dynamite some think, she clearly has no solid set of morals or policies, and is very much willing to say and do whatever she can to win favour. Which may do her well in the near term, but hardly makes an inspiring political leader. Boris may have been utterly vile, but he was at all times COMMITTED to the bit. Pen has the same wavering middle management energy as Keir.

We really need Thornberry to seize power and be the electoral DOM TOP she’s destined to be.
God, you know the DM has a ‘BATTLE OF THE BRAS!’ headline waiting if Penny and Emily ever face off at PMQs :manson:

I’d hope our EM would just FLASH A TIT and dryly ask ‘NEXT QUESTION?’

It struck me earlier that admittedly under a small sample size, no female leader of one of the big two political parties has ever lost an election.

(OK, TREESA didn't get a majority, but she still won)

It struck me earlier that admittedly under a small sample size, no female leader of one of the big two political parties has ever lost an election.

(OK, TREESA didn't get a majority, but she still won)
Fun fact is Theresa May polled only 300,000 fewer votes, nationally, than Johnson.

Last edited:
Got to love our fucked up system.
See also the Lib dems gained 1.3m votes and LOST a seat
Yep. And as much as the May result was a disaster in that she lost the majority she inherited, she polled the third highest number of votes at any UK election (behind Johnson in 2019 and Major in 1992 - the latter being the highest at a shade over 14 million). A strange winner takes all system.

Ugh. Kay Burley trying to catch Caroline Noakes out (batting for Morduant) on the rights of trans people. It's pathetic.

Eileen has pointed out on Facebook that I have the exact same date of birth as Suella. How revolting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom