Nintendo Switch stuff

Will U?

• Total voters
Had to cut that short: just got a text to say that Animal-Festivalen is now live for time travellers :D

I mean, priorities.

Finally got the target. Overall I'd say that was the best of the events. I've already now prepared my arcade area for the upcoming Mario items next month (I'm anticipating a small statue - preferably 1×1 on the grid).

There's a Direct tomorrow night - the first full one (ie not a Direct Mini or Partner Showcase) in quite a while!

Would there be any interest in a Moopy sync watch of this? I normally try and watch them live with my friend but can't this time for obvious reasons :(

For snarky remarks about POINTLESS SEQUELS and REMASTERS and mild interest in their most obscure projects, of course.

Reactions: COB
I will be around after. Or during if it slumps.

I wonder if half on current games will be the rumoured big NSO update. Who cares: 50 minutes guarantees my excitement.

Also I bought 3D World! I have to wait until Saturday as it's a click and collect, but it IS £20 less than the RRP. I mean really Nintendo, SIXTY QUID?!

I haven't, I'm really looking forward to it :D Is the multiplayer separate from the singleplayer? I think I'll be playing it with @ZenGiraffe but I'd also like to play it when he's not around :eyes:

I haven't, I'm really looking forward to it :D Is the multiplayer separate from the singleplayer? I think I'll be playing it with @ZenGiraffe but I'd also like to play it when he's not around :eyes:
I think you can jump in and out. I've played it before so you don't need to wait for me, except for the Bowser's Fury bits (if they are multiplayer)

Yes, you can jump in and out (of 3D World, that is, don't know about Bowser's Fury). It has all the CRAZY MULTIPLAYER ANTICS of all the New! Super Mario Bros games but in 3D with added NUTS and BOLTS (and the usual 'Luigi jumps higher', 'Peach can float' shenanigans of Mario games PROPER!).

I think I enjoyed it more than Odyssey :shy:

Are we supposed to know about the games being released in the first half of 2021 or are we being told that?

I don't think they have ANYTHING announced beyond Mario 3D World besides the long-term Bayonetta 3, BOTW2 and Metroid Prime 4 so I would imagine this is a Q1 FY 2021-22 sort of update. Exciting!

Anyone have any good RPG suggestions for the Switch (besides Pokemon Sword & Shield)?

Got a Switch Lite last month. So far just been playing Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Trivial Pursuit Live and A Hat In Time.

I plan on getting Splatoon 2 at some point.

Depends on what you're after (and what you'd consider an RPG). Under a loose definition of the term I'd definitely recommend Breath of the Wild if you haven't played that, it's the best game on the system.

If you like more traditional J-RPGs, there's Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2 (I've not played 2 and looks A BIT TOO ANIME for my liking but the first one is a fun, solid, quite LONG JRPG), Dragon Quest XI (a must if you've not played any Dragon Quest before), a port of Tales of Vesperia and a retro-curio like Octopath Traveller. There's also Pokémon.

If you like tactical RPGs you should play Fire Emblem: Three Houses and you also have Valkyrie Chronicles 1 and 4 (again, have only played the first one but it's a fantastic game, very original). There's also Mario + Rabbids which is a very LIGHT version of the X-Com series.

If you like Western RPGs I can't really help you much as it's not my cup of tea generally but you have X-Com 2, Diablo III and remasters of Baldurs Gate I&II, Planescape and Neverwinter Nights. Others may be able to ADVISE BETTER.

There are also B-tier budget games that are worth a look like Trials of Mana, Saga Scarlet Grace, I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear and the Ys and Trails of Cold Steel series... check them out and see if they grab you. I love the Ys games but they do appeal to a CERTAIN DEMOGRAPHIC.

I have played most of the Ys games and VIII is up there with the very best, if not the best. I actually loved the storyline considering a lot of the times in these games it is all a bit of hogwash. But the gameplay is a bit of an acquired taste as it's a lot more action-oriented with elements of farming/Monster Hunter games so you have to be okay with that.

Thanks both for the suggestions.

I've seen on the eShop that Valkyrie Chronicles I, Ys Origins & VIII and the Trails of Cold Steel series are all on sale so will look more into these and get one or two.

I have heard great things about Dragon Quest XI and Octopath Traveller so would definitely love to give those a go as well.

I have briefly played Breath of the Wild (was a friend's copy) and absolutely loved it so for sure need to get that one! Only question I have is how much is story-based gaming vs. free-roaming?

The game has a storyline (I actually really liked it because a lot of it is told in flashbacks in a very clever way) but you can choose to tackle it pretty much however you wish. You can ignore good chunks of it too, as some of the story beats are optional, or you can delve into the lore, there is quite a bit of optional stuff to dig out. It is less 'rigid' than other Zelda games, certainly a lot less than Skyward Sword for example, but I was satisfied with what they presented, and I like my Zelda games to get a bit EPIC which I feel BOTW really did towards the end.

Honestly, I don't like open world games that much and it didn't matter one iota. I'd be shocked if it disappointed you :disco:

What are our thoughts on Witcher 3? I'm ploughing through BOTW and having never played a game this expansive / brilliant before and I'm itching for something similar when I do finish it, with maybe a bit of extra challenge.

Breath of the Wild is AMAZING, one of the best games I’ve ever played - however I started on a Switch Lite and recently upgraded to a Switch to play on my TV, and it’s a totally different gaming experience on a big screen.

Playing it on the Lite is nowhere near as absorbing, and the Lite controls and screen size make it make frustrating than it needs to be.

Absolutely still playable! But as a game designed for long all-encompassing plays I vastly prefer playing it on console rather than handheld.

Pokémon could really do with a major gameplay revamp, it is way too stale and easy now.

I thought so too, but Sun & Moon was so much fun to play! It was beyond disappointing that they made the story of S&S basically happen in the background while you were going to boring football stadiums. And not having the national dex, despite it being Switch, despite all of the 3D models being from Sun & Moon which DID have the national dex ... that was pretty inexcusable for me

Is that considered a good RPG?! I thought it was so disappointing

Oh I wasn't referring to it necessarily as good. I just meant I owned it already. :D

I agree about it being a disappointing installment. It's not a bad game but yeah, the formula is kinda running stale by now. I revisit it once in a while but I'm still only halfway through (5 badges). I haven't played it in like 3 days now. Usually with a Pokemon game like Sun and Moon or Black and White, I got fully onboard and play them non-stop. With this one, it's just lacking in keeping my attention and I have other games I'd rather play over it.

For Pokemon fans: Sinnoh remakes announced (and UGLY), plus an open world prequel?!

Well I should be very happy, I’ve been after these remakes for ages, but after Sword & Shield I’ve lost a lot of faith in their handling

I have such high hopes for Snap. That preview did look a bit tame on content reveal, so I assume we'll get a further feature.

Has anyone played Bravely Default II? I do like a good JRPG but I'm not sure whether to give it a go.

A new Switch model is apparently being planned to go into mass production in June - presumably to be officially revealed around E3 time in the Summer. Rumours seem to indicate that it's more of a 'Switch Pro' upgrade than a 'Switch 2', with the main upgrades being 4k resolution when docked and a larger screen (though still at 720p) for handheld mode. I'm assuming there'll be stuff like framerate boosts for current games etc, too.

Has anyone played Bravely Default II? I do like a good JRPG but I'm not sure whether to give it a go.
I was going to get it but all reviews mention basic story and great but tired gameplay. I’ll hold off for a sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom