Pop Music Activism

I can’t see Nicola Roberts on Spotify (I know, nobody cares). Is this just a geo blocking thing or is she not on there at all?

Surely Dana will be available in time for this years Eurovision?! They’d be mad not to have it on there!
You’d think but I don’t know. I’ve expended so much energy on that and it’s even more frustrating when it’s something that’s in the artists power and is their biggest ducking hit rather than it just being a record label with too much to do.

Nicola Roberts is restricted to the UK. Unfortunately so much of Universals digital output pre 2014 is. It seems tricky for them to make available wider. There is sadly too much to ask them to unblock (in addition to stuff they need to digitise first time) and there’s only so much I can ask at once (normally just two releases at a time which themselves can take months).

Surely Dana will be available in time for this years Eurovision?! They’d be mad not to have it on there!
You’d think but I don’t know. I’ve expended so much energy on that and it’s even more frustrating when it’s something that’s in the artists power and is their biggest ducking hit rather than it just being a record label with too much to do.

Nicola Roberts is restricted to the UK. Unfortunately so much of Universals digital output pre 2014 is. It seems tricky for them to make available wider. There is sadly too much to ask them to unblock (in addition to stuff they need to digitise first time) and there’s only so much I can ask at once (normally just two releases at a time which themselves can take months).

I had a brief moment of panic then and thought Nicola Roberts had disappeared.

There are certain moments when only Beat Of My Drum will slake my thirst.

Conscious a lot of the recent stuff I’ve got online is dance/ club stuff. There is more pop on the way but it takes longer to get online as it tends to be held by the major labels. The club stuff tends to be on indies who are smaller, agile and can bash out quickly.

Anyway the most notable of recent releases

Whilst it was already online it was the original Italian version which sounds like Casio keyboard trumpets. The Blunt Edit is the much beefed up UK radio version.

Is there any chance of getting Queensberry's stuff up at all?

I note there is like two singles but not the album(s) which is a bit surprising as they did quite well on the mainland.

Is there any chance of getting Queensberry's stuff up at all?

I note there is like two singles but not the album(s) which is a bit surprising as they did quite well on the mainland.
This will be the same as Monrose. Rights have reverted to the TV production company behind Germans popstars and they aren’t bothered about making available.

I can’t see Nicola Roberts on Spotify (I know, nobody cares). Is this just a geo blocking thing or is she not on there at all?

what?? Yo-Yo just came on some playlist just this past Saturday!

I wonder what changed? It was there a year or so ago.

I’ve noticed a few other random things have been removed for me recently. Sugababes - Easy being the first one I can think of.

I LOVED Everytime You Need Me. Such a laid back, stunning Summer gem.

To be fair to it, the start of 2001 was the first year the chart wasn't dead. It sold 50k for #3 which was actually normally enough for #1 easily in early January, but Rui Da Silva, Steps and Jennifer Lopez, plus a surprise Limp Bizkit hit kept sales rather solid.

I’ve always wondered. If Fragma has stuck with Positiva for a UK release of album 2, would Say That You’re Here have been a bigger hit?

There was only about a 5-6 month gap between that and You Are Alive and it’s not like a long gap had proved fatal in the past - it took forever for Everytime You Need Me to follow up Toca’s Miracle.

Granted there is the law of diminishing returns, but a #1 hit, a long running #3 hit and a two weeks in the top 5 hit followed by a one week at #25 hit seems a sudden drop.

I’ve always wondered. If Fragma has stuck with Positiva for a UK release of album 2, would Say That You’re Here have been a bigger hit?

There was only about a 5-6 month gap between that and You Are Alive and it’s not like a long gap had proved fatal in the past - it took forever for Everytime You Need Me to follow up Toca’s Miracle.

Granted there is the law of diminishing returns, but a #1 hit, a long running #3 hit and a two weeks in the top 5 hit followed by a one week at #25 hit seems a sudden drop.

It didnt help it was released first week in December which is normally a very busy time.

The TOP 40 (just) hit “Say It” needs adding too

Assuming it is down to this lot, I SQUEALED WITH JOY to discover the back catalogue of 90's RnB sensations, FIERCE had appeared on Spotify

Oh, for some reason I always thought Say That You’re Here was a September release!

It still was a massive drop after three top 5 hits that each had good legs in the chart, and the album overall must've sold ok.

I guess being a dance act they didn't have a fanbase as such that would seek them out (over and above any other dance song) - so when one doesn't connect/maybe doesn't get playlisted as much/less exposure due to Xmas...it results in a big drop off?

Considering the number of acts on different labels involved in Thank ABBA For The Music, that is a huge achievement (and let’s not pretend Tina Cousins won’t be counting in every 0.1p per stream).

Good Friday INDEED.

Reactions: SDF
I just popped Thank ABBA For the Music for the first time in about 20 years and it's not as bad as I remember. Well the 12" version sounds alright at least.

All the segue from Mamma Mia to Thank You For the Music is quite a JOLT.

It was edited down from the live performance, which had a fade of a couple of seconds. That was slightly less JARRING.

Steps and Tina Cousins were on the same label, so I guess that they made a deal so they would have to have her if they wanted Steps too. That song brings back memories of my gay clubbing days - Smirnoff Ices, hair glitter and tight t-shirts, and the DJ playing the releases from the following Monday the Saturday before, which got me all excited as it would be the first time I heard them outside of being on TV.

I remember I went clubbing right after Dana International won and we asked the DJ to play Diva, I think all he had was a shitty rip from Real Player!

We really are spoiled now in so many ways...

Oh just noticed Young Divas...oddly enough I brought my CD back from home as it wasn't available on iTunes/Spotify, and I bloody snapped the thing putting it into my laptop :(

Problem now solved!

I'd forgot Thank ABBA For the Music ever happened

The only person I can hear is Queen Faye :disco:

Been a bit quiet on the release front since the Dana/ ABBA double whammy. The infernal one has been on a while. They’d indicated the other two were following swiftly but clearly not!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom