Relisten #3: Kylie Minogue & Impossible Princess - 21/10/20 19:00

Some Kind of Bliss feels like a more upbeat sequel to Put Yourself In My Place sonically - back when, I used to think they were from the same record

It's lovely, but it's very clear 3 songs in that this album has no clue what it wants to be, for better or worse

09 Too Far
10 Cowboy Style
08 Some Kind of Bliss

I have no problem with the Manics’ contribution to this record. They are essentially TAMLA MOTOWN songs with added guitars.

My main problem with SKOB is that after the first minute or so, NOTHING HAPPENS.

I’m gonna say it. I HATE Did It Again. I hate her vocal on it. I hate that it’s a pastiche of a Garbage song. I even hate the video.

this album is when she started singing nasally isn't it?

"move onto something YEEEUUUUUHHHHHELSSSE" - interesting way to pronounce the word "else"

It's a fucking great track though - again she's having her little real music/Shania disc 3 world music cosplay moment and I'm not mad about it at all! Proper catchy.

08 Too Far
10 Cowboy Style
08 Some Kind of Bliss
09 Did It Again

I love the first half of SKOB then lose interest, for me another verse is needed in second half.

Did It Again is one of her very worst singles for me. Just cringe.

”Clever guuuuuuurl” :zombie:

Fun video though.

this album is when she started singing nasally isn't it?

"move onto something YEEEUUUUUHHHHHELSSSE" - interesting way to pronounce the word "else"

It's a fucking great track though - again she's having her little real music/Shania disc 3 world music cosplay moment and I'm not mad about it at all! Proper catchy.

08 Too Far
10 Cowboy Style
08 Some Kind of Bliss
09 Did It Again

This is my main problem with Did It Again. It’s really porly sung. She sounds incredibly nasal. And don’t get me started on that other “fan favourite” Tears. Urgh.

I actually skipped Did It Again. I dislike it THAT much.

Last edited:
I think Breathe was the only track that reached me and I liked at the time. I have a vague memory of seeing Did It Again on TV but didn't really like it, whereas I remember Breathe being stuck in my head.

well fuck if Breathe isn't just one of the dreamiest, loveliest, most blissed out moments of her career :disco:

the pull is in my muscle, the ache is in my bones. it's hard to be alone
:( on paper it should be a sad song but on top of that crunchy, ambient electronic production from Dave Ball it's really just like floating on a cloud. love the bit where it sounds like they randomly recorded one of the verses underwater. AND WHY NOT?

Breathe/Je T'aime from Money Can't Buy was such a moment.

08 Too Far
10 Cowboy Style
08 Some Kind of Bliss
09 Did It Again
11 Breathe

the single version is dogshit sadly.

It’s so so pretty. And it was just such a cool chill out song a time the time. This is the song I played over and over on this album at release.

I (heart) Breathe.

Fact fans : “some kind of bliss” used to be my favorite Kylie song ever :eyes:

i still love it mind you. But it is the least Kylie sounding thing she’s done if that makes sense, so I feel a bit divorced from it.

onto Say Hey - I seem to recall this being where the album becomes quite DARK and DRAB

is THIS the song that forum full of absolute raving loonies took its name from? really?

Say Hey for me is the stalker’s anthem. A bit wannabe Bjork but I can live with it.

Say Hey is Dannii - Girl, if Girl was shit. surprising as Brothers In Rhythm rarely put a foot wrong, but it's so morose and nothingy.

08 Too Far
10 Cowboy Style
08 Some Kind of Bliss
09 Did It Again
11 Breathe
05 Say Hey

“Drunk” always annihilates me. That middle eight is one of my favorite Kylie moments, ever. Has she ever sounded this unhinged? There are so many magnificent layers to the production too.

god, Drunk is total garbage. I mean sorry but where is the tune?! the music is nice (really nice as it gets going) but she's just shouting into the abyss.

08 Too Far
10 Cowboy Style
08 Some Kind of Bliss
09 Did It Again
11 Breathe
05 Say Hey
04 Drunk

Drunk is really quite clever to be honest. It evokes the feeling of being intoxicated quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom