Relisten #3: Kylie Minogue & Impossible Princess - 21/10/20 19:00

I listened while playing PlayStation. I actually think I enjoyed KM94 more tonight which is surprising to me. IP is very strong but weak in places too.

10 Too Far
09 Cowboy Style
10 Some Kind of Bliss
09 Did It Again
12 Breathe
05 Say Hey
07 Drunk
06 I Don't Need Anyone
02 Jump
09 Limbo
03 Through the Years
07 Dreams

I remember reading am interview with her on the internet. It may even have been on dotmusic (the website part of it)! I really just remember her talking about delaying the album because of Princess Di

She was as close to CUNTY as you would ever expect from Kylie. A bit up herself.

I guess it gave her a huge REALITY CHECK.

I don’t think IP is a cynical album really. I think she just got a bit drunk on the sliver of credibility she attained with KM and wound up biting off more than she could chew. Stylistically, it’s most likely a greatest hits of the artists she was listening to at the time.

I also have a sense of her being a bit RESIGNED in the interview. Almost playing the whole thing down to lower expectations

Actually that interview is nice. Some of the UK interviews at the time though were not especially flattering.

She was a bit like that towards the end of her time at PWL too where she was starting to veer toward pretentiousness.

Last edited:
I listened while playing PlayStation. I actually think I enjoyed KM94 more tonight which is surprising to me. IP is very strong but weak in places too.

10 Too Far
09 Cowboy Style
10 Some Kind of Bliss
09 Did It Again
12 Breathe
05 Say Hey
07 Drunk
06 I Don't Need Anyone
02 Jump
09 Limbo
03 Through the Years
07 Dreams

Well I’m glad you had SOMETHING BETTER TO DO. :Oi:

I won’t forget this Tisch!

Sorry, Mr L started watching a shitty 5 Madonna documentary, so I decided to stay with that instead.

Well I’m glad you had SOMETHING BETTER TO DO. :Oi:

I won’t forget this Tisch!
I was saving what's left of a post-apocalyptic earth from machines that have come to life and turned again WHILE listening to Kylie and dissecting it, what MORE do you want! :emoji_cold_sweat:

a bit late but here's my rate

10 Too Far
10 Cowboy Style
09 Some Kind of Bliss
10 Did It Again
11 Breathe
10 Say Hey
06 Drunk
09 I Don't Need Anyone
10 Jump
10 Limbo
08 Through the Years
10 Dreams

Where were you @COB ?? :evil:
I'm sorry :( I like some of the songs from both of these but I've always found them both quite hard going as full album experiences, so I couldn't face it (and certainly not doing them back to back). Light Years and Fever are a much more appealing proposition for me, when is that happening?

Horizon Zero Dawn. Took a bit of getting into but I'm hooked now. I just like to run around the land all day.
Leona's IMPACT :disco: From the clues you gave I thought you might have been playing NieR Automata, which is an absolutely batshit experience that I would fully recommend.

Leona's IMPACT :disco: From the clues you gave I thought you might have been playing NieR Automata, which is an absolutely batshit experience that I would fully recommend.
I absolutely second this recommendation. It is an excellent game, and very stylish to boot.

I'm sorry :( I like some of the songs from both of these but I've always found them both quite hard going as full album experiences, so I couldn't face it (and certainly not doing them back to back). Light Years and Fever are a much more appealing proposition for me, when is that happening?

Monday at 7.30pm x

And in my mind, the two best remixes (re-recordings) to come from the Kylie Minogue era:

Looking back though, why on earth was it released SEVEN MONTHS after Put Yourself In My Place?!

My rate from last time

07 Too Far
08 Cowboy Style
07 Some Kind Of Bliss
08 Did It Again
08 Breathe
07 Say Hey
06 Drunk
04 I Don't Need Anyone
06 Jump
09 Limbo
06 Through the Years
09 Dreams

Average 7.7

Did this relisten settle the "KM94 or IP?" debate in favour of Kylie Minogue? I feel like it did. which makes me happy because it is a terribly underrated work.

She was filming Bio-Dome :eyes:

To be fair, I think she also recorded and filmed the video for Where The Wild Roses Grow roughly around this time too.

She was a redhead for most of 1995 if I recall. By the time Where Is The Feeling was released she was just ready to move on.

Strange though because she performed it live on Don’t Forget Your Toothbrush at the end of 1994 so perhaps it was meant to have been released sooner.

Did this relisten settle the "KM94 or IP?" debate in favour of Kylie Minogue? I feel like it did. which makes me happy because it is a terribly underrated work.

For me, there was never a question.

Have you listed to WITF yet?

I've never heard this before! It's completely different and so much darker than the original. I think I like it, but I don't like that it never really jumps into the song properly.

It’s the same song just re-recorded. It actually sits alongside Confide In Me far better than the original would have done.

Well I'm gutted I missed this and it's a shame that @Eddie couldn't have rescheduled to a time when I wasn't otherwise preoccupied but it is sad yet predictable.

That being said, here are some bullet points just by means of illustrating my point of view:
  • KM94 >>> Impossible Princess. Change my mind. Or don't. Because you won't. Ha. What.
  • KM94 is probably one of my all time favourite Kylie albums and I loved it so much in 1994. It was just so mature, silky and left-field and I think it really proved to everyone that she can actually sing. Check out some of the promo performances from 'Confide in Me' from that era.
  • Impossible Princess should be more of a Suede favourite than it is but it never has been I'm afraid. I think sonically it is quite cohesive and the artwork is stunning and the songwriting is really, really good but there's just something knowingly pretentious about it. And also it's not really fun. I understand it was cathartic and she needed to make it though.

Rates may be coming later. Or not.

Also - people go on about sexKylie, popKylie, indieKylie etc. but let me make it clear that KM94 was the official birth of sultry KYLIE

The sophistication of it all was just so brilliant at the time and has aged well.

I go through phases when it comes to the black and white 'sexy secretary' (as the sexist press at the time called it) album artwork look but overall I like it.

And yes I need that white vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom