Shakespears Sister reunion

It's been RIDICULOUS. Edsel/Demon got hold of her catalogue in 2013 and since then, they've had:

Expanded editions (1/2/3CD editions + DVD) of all albums
Single cd reissues of all albums
Vinyl reissues of all albums
Coloured vinyl reissues of all albums
"Heaven on Earth" picture disc
"The Collection" CD
"Greatest Volume 1" CD
"Greatest Volume 2" (digital only release, so maybe fair enough)
"Icon" CD
"The CD Singles" boxset
"The Anthology" boxset
"The Complete Studio Albums" boxset
"The Very Best of" CD
"The Collection" vinyl
"Heaven on Earth" 30th Anniversary Edition CD
The Vinyl Albums 1987-1993 Collection
"The Collection" coloured vinyl
"Heaven On Earth" Box Set
"Runaway Horses" Box Set

Most of them have had the odd track or two they *WHOOPS* found in a vault somewhere or something new in an attempt to make money from OLD ROPE again. And I'm pretty sure I've missed something out of that list as well. I mean, in six years, "Gold" will basically be her sixth completely distinct Greatest Hits compilation, not even including any of the times she's reissued those themselves in different formats.

Sorry, I know this isn't the right place, but she's just announced Sainsbury's are reissuing "Heaven on Earth" in ANOTHER limited edition coloured vinyl on Friday :D

A bit on the EP (due in October) in this interview. It isn't entirely clear whether the two GH songs are included in the five tracks - though hopefully not, more new material would obviously be nice.

*MUCH EXCITE*

Well, as long as it's more Horses than Tuesday...

It appears to be a collaboration with Richard Hawley.

The phone number works (:D), and from what you can make out from the rather muffled excerpt it does sound rather more in line with Horses.

Various bundles on the website, reasonably priced. I just don't know if I need anything signed again after the photo which came with Singles Party.

Having just finally listened to the (marvellous) podcast, I'll be biting for vinyl and CD. I wish they'd put Singles Party out on vinyl...maybe they're saving that for Record Store Day!

A first play on 6Music rather than Radio 2 is quite the COUP as well, isn't it?

Various bundles on the website, reasonably priced. I just don't know if I need anything signed again after the photo which came with Singles Party.

I do prefer the actual item signed rather than a postcard or photo that gets put away somewhere. Three new songs, at least the mixes of the two previously released are different from those on Singles Party.

Lovely. A very sweet and fragile vocal from Siobhan, and Hawley is pretty perfect to play the male part in this kind of retro balladry.

I like it but it feels like it isn’t very THEM on first listen- something All The Queen’s Horses managed to achieve so brilliantly. The whole thing is VERY Nancy and Lee, which works for me, though.

I also love Siobhan’s vocal, though.

Agree that while this fits very well with All The Queen's Horses it doesn't feel as immediately SS as that did. Despite Marcy wailing on in the background Siobhan sounds very different, there's the male vocal and lyrically it doesn't scream them. It will be interesting to hear what the other two new songs are like, I wonder if this will just be a dreamy outlier.

Great video again too:

Inferior mix to the single version though. It works much better with their voices intertwined more. Hopefully it will be the single version on the EP, though it says EP Mix which I guess could be one or the other or a different mix entirely.

Last edited:
I’ll get this EP for sure, the videos as always are good. I’m a little surprised by how much Marcy is playing second fiddle on the new songs. I thought Siobhan might be a little more generous sharing the vocals this time round.

This is their 2.0 peak so far. Siobhan looks and sounds magnificent. I do keep expecting to read that they've fallen out again and it's all over each time I see them spamming my Facebook feed - maybe the reason it's going rather well is because Marcy is staying in the background out of harm's way. I hope they have saved a big spooky ballad from her for last (with an over the top interruption from frenemy Fahey of course).

It's bad enough that whatever one of them posts is then posted by both AND the group account. But then they also seem to repost anyone in the world who ever tags them.

So the EP is out today. Solid on first listen if nothing that screams classic SS yet. Siobhan is clearly in charge, I’d expected a little more parity.

All The Queen's Horses and When She Finds You are the pick of the bunch but Time To Say Goodbye is great too. I prefer the western leaning sound to the two stompier numbers, it is a strong little collection though.

Spotify has the superior single mix of When She Finds You but annoyingly on the CD it seems to be the video version with Siobhan doing the first verse and chorus then Richard doing all of the second.

Have we seen the dead-eyed delight that has presumably bought the support slot on the tour?

Meet DELENA:

The music videos certainly maintained their immaculate standards, but When She Finds You is the only true keeper for me.

I'm in Oxford now, ready to see them tonight. I'll report back on how empty it is.

I know there are still reasonable tickets left for Bath in a fortnight, though.

I can’t go to the Brighton gig I’ve got tickets for, so I just bought one for Birmingham...and got front row :D

I'm not really sure how well attended it was last night. We were downstairs in the stalls (which had the odd empty seat, but I'd say was 95% full) just where the circle overhangs, so we couldn't see it - other than the side, which was definitely empty. At the end I did notice some people leaving out of the side circle exit, but it wasn't many. And I don't remember the band playing to the circle (and I think there is a balcony above that as well, it's a venue I've never been to before). No looking up or addressing them, but to be honest that sort of audience interaction wasn't really there in general, anyway.

And they were good. Possibly very good, but it wasn't GREAT. I think you could tell it was early in the tour (and after THAT hiatus) and I felt there was a bit of a problem with momentum that at first I thought was the set list, but I don't think it was that. It was more to do with kind of short awkward silences between songs when Siobhan would usually mutter something. Marcella didn't say that much at all, really. And it kind of felt like some flow was lost. Siobhan came in at the wrong point at least three times, as well.

Marcella's voice really has suffered. To the extent that Stay isn't the earth shattering moment it should be within a concert of theirs at all, and I guess that was why it was buried in the middle of the show. I don't think the crowd really went off (well you know, in the way middle aged people do) until Are We In Love Yet? and I Don't Care.

In terms of it being a reunion and them playing all bar two tracks of one of my all time favourite albums, I want to give it 10. But really it was a 7, i guess

And we had a LOVELY meal beforehand, thereby missing the support act, so the evening as a whole was a solid 8.

A seat filling service? WHAT IS THIS FREE MAGIC?
Various clubs and mailing lists. They charge a small admin fee to book for a couple of pounds and have discretion rules that you’re not allowed to shout about how you got in for nothing while there or on social media (at least name checking the service). Majority of things offered are midweek Fringe theatre but occasionally you get last minute West End and concert bargains

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom