Simply Red - Fairground

Pleasure at the Fairground?

• Total voters

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
Potentially contentious one here. I don't care for Simply Red. But I always had a soft spot for this as one of the big pop moments of the mid 90s.

Naturally my go to is the Faithless remix.

But WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Absolute disgusting pig shite. One of the worst records ever made that I cannot listen to without turning off/ walking out/ punching small children in the face.

Nods Reaction GIF by TLC Europe

Tried to sit through this on an old TOTP recently and just couldn't. Absolute fetid gerbil shit.

As I mentioned in the TOTP thread, I file it alongside You’re Gorgeous by Babybird and The Living Years by Mike & The Mechanics as songs that instantly transport me back to interminable car journeys as a child. Triggering.

As I mentioned in the TOTP thread, I file it alongside You’re Gorgeous by Babybird and The Living Years by Mike & The Mechanics as songs that instantly transport me back to interminable car journeys as a child. Triggering.
Add in Dance the Night Away by The Mavericks.

a massive banger! it's just so... mid 90s :disco:

(I love you, but...)

That sentence being said by someone who wasn't there at the time and so didn't have to face the reality of that GURNING GINGER CUNT and his GOLD TOOTH leering over your Top of the Pops every week for SEEMINGLY MONTHS ON END and that DREADFUL ALBUM and the one BEFORE appearing UNEXPECTEDLY just about WHEREVER YOU ARE, as well as it being hailed by Mums and people who GENERALLY DON'T LIKE MUSIC BUT BUY ONE ALBUM A YEAR IN TESCO as the GREATEST ALBUM EVER truly makes me want to STAB MYSELF IN THE FUCKING HEAD WITH A FORK.

And you know, it wasn't even SIMPLY RED. I quite liked a couple of the early songs. But this was the fucking NADIR of absolute, mass produced, SOULLESS GLOOP that had STUPID over exposure because Britain couldn't handle BRITPOP and DANCE CULTURE and all the GOOD things that were happening, so we needed something SAFE and BORING to compensate.

TRIGGERING, someone said...ABSOLUTELY.

Weirdly not in their top 5 on Spotify??

Is that counted internationally? Because from memory, they were over in the US by then, but had quite a run of hits, so presumably those would be skewed higher as a result.

Not me sitting here wondering why everyone is talking about the mid-90s and Britpop when I could have SWORN this came out around 2002/3 shortly before Sunrise

Poor confused old woman

NEVER FORGET all the tabloid stories of the time about him having an UNFATHOMABLY LARGE PENIS either.

Ew I Cant GIF by Trevi Moran

I know they hate Simply Red here but I do love some Sunrise and Fake every once in a while :disco: Poor Hall & Oates.

love Simply Red sorry everyone :D I don’t love everything, but the blue eyed soul stuff inspired by 80s funk and R&B is right up my alley.

This particular track was never my favourite but I do like it as it’s all memories. It’s very of its time.

SORRY but I love some of their stuff. This NOT SO MUCH but STILL

Also he might look like a WELL I WON'T SAY HERE but he can certainly SANG

For some reason I reminded myself of the A New Flame video and now I'm sadly reflecting on how many women over the past 30+ years must have been forced to feign sexual interest in Mick Hucknall for one reason or another.

His biggest crime against music was this which I stumbled upon during a ASFM covers round.

I quietly like listening to it. Watching him perform it is something else, though.

Not sure about that remix. Don't remember it from the time. In other SACRILIGIOUS OPINIONS Faithless were never ALL THAT with SOME EXCEPTIONS

Mind you it does dispense with the SHAMELESS LIFTS from 'GIVE IT UP' by THE GOOD MEN. NOW THAT WAS A RECORD

SHALL WE OH LET'S

Last edited:
For some reason I reminded myself of the A New Flame video and now I'm sadly reflecting on how many women over the past 30+ years must have been forced to feign sexual interest in Mick Hucknall for one reason or another.

Feign? He was absolutely LOVED! I have relatives who are big fans and I can confirm that he was VERY popular with the ladies back in the day.

Can’t see it myself. But then again the gays did prefer to like something with more than a NICE VOICE

My Simply Red TOP TEN:

1. Money’s Too Tight To Mention
2. Holding Back The Years
3. It’s Only Love
4. You’ve Got It
5. Something Got Me Started
6. Remembering The First Time
7. Stars
8. Your Mirror
9. Thrill Me
10. The Real Thing

Users who are viewing this thread