Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection

He isn't going to have much of a Glastonbury effect, is he? He sold 19k last week, and I don't see him selling significantly more this week unless he spikes now (or if data is missing, I suppose).

I suppose with Kylie it's harder to see because you don't know how many would have bought it anyway, and no point of comparison.

I imagine we'll probably see some stories in Music Week, and there may be decent percentage increases for some, but in terms of number sold it doesn't look like anyone is going to get more than a few thousand out of it.

Who gives a FUCK? Two number one albums in just over a year is my headline!

And three this decade. She had two in the 80s, and one each in the 90s and 00s.

I didn’t expect Glastonbury to have a massive impact on week 1. I couldn’t imagine casual fans stampeding down to HMV on Monday morning after seeing Kylie on tv on the Sunday. However I do think it could give the album legs in terms of people seeing it out shopping over the next couple of months and picking it up or ordering online when they’re on.

And yes who’d have expected Golden and this to have done so well a couple of years ago?

Amazingly the Beatles haven't had a UK number 1 since 2000 (38 years).

Pretty sure Elvis will win (60 years).

Would the Rolling Stones hold the record for an extant act?

Amazingly the Beatles haven't had a UK number 1 since 2000 (38 years).

Pretty sure Elvis will win (60 years).

Did the reissued Sgt Pepper not get to #1 in 2017? I thought it did?

Never Too Late is a lifetime of joy distilled into three minutes.

I'm not sure I understand those who hate the initial run of singles. They are absolutely crucial to her journey.

Granted that as a ten year old I was more interested in the fact that it was Charlene singing those songs but I don't get why some fans can be so dismissive of them.

I'm not sure I understand those who hate the initial run of singles. They are absolutely crucial to her journey.

Granted that as a ten year old I was more interested in the fact that it was Charlene singing those songs but I don't get why some fans can be so dismissive of them.

Some of them really aren't very good. Got To Be Certain is pants, as is The Locomotion. Turn It Into Love is so generic it's painful and I still can't take Especially For You without wincing slightly.
The step-up with the second album is appreciable.

Got To Be Certain is pants, Turn It Into Love is so generic it's painful..

You heathen! Turn It Into Love remains majestic and Got To Be Certain is possibly my favourite single from the first album.

I guess you really had to have been there. If you weren't the demographic she was aiming for, it is less likely you would see the appeal. To be fair, I think the same about the Spice Girls yet I appreciate that I wasn't their core market.

I'm not a fan of Got To Be Certain particularly. Or at least I think (other than Locomotion) it's the weakest early single.

Mr L would still have it in contention for his Kylie top 10, though.

Incidentally, I'm Over Dreaming (Over You) the title track and the singles aside, the debut was a much stronger album than Enjoy Yourself.

Last edited:
I don't think there's too much in it between the first two albums. Both have perhaps three or four clear fillers each.

The first album doesn't have anything near as bad as My Secret Heart or Tears On My Pillow.

I Miss You, I'll Still Be Loving You and (possibly) Look My Way are equally as deeply average for me.

Well you're an old fart, so perhaps you were more discerning with your tastes at the time.

As a young fart I was equally as debonair and urbane :disco:

The first two albums were very much of their time, and while some of the songs may not hold up as much as they did back then, they are still great pop songs.

Turn It Into Love remains one of her best songs ever.

I also love the track on her debut album from which SAW blatantly stole from another song:

:D

Last edited:
So much of what SAW did with Kylie was pilfered from other songs.

Was Janft ever credited for Too Much of A Good Thing?

For me, the first true classic is "Wouldn't Change a Thing" - that was the first one to make me think we were dealing with something more than a TV-star-tries-singing-career situation. I was an awkward indie kid, obsessed with the Fall, Pixies and The Wedding Present at the time so, yeah, hardly her core audience but I remember very specifically that one made me sit up. Thereafter, the bangers really started coming.

I'm not sure I understand those who hate the initial run of singles. They are absolutely crucial to her journey

That doesn’t mean you have to like them. I hated two of her first four singles and wasn’t a big fan of Especially For You at the time, but I agree with you entirely.

That doesn’t mean you have to like them. I hated two of her first four singles and wasn’t a big fan of Especially For You at the time, but I agree with you entirely.

I'm not suggesting you should force yourself to like them. In retrospect, I can see that they are cheesy songs. But I loved them in my adolescence because I loved her. You admitted you got on board a little later which is fine.

I'd take All I Wanna Do over Especially For You any day.

TUESDAY MIDWEEKS

Kylie 23,984 (2,672 yesterday)
Lewis 11,523 (3,033 yesterday)
Today

1 Kylie Minogue - Step Back In Time: The Definitive Collection (27.5k) (3.5k yesterday)
2 Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent (15.1k) (3.6k yesterday)

Looking at around 33k by Friday

33k is AMAZING for a Greatest Hits album in this day and age. This will become the first back to back chart topping albums she's had since the first two!

Anyone who doesn’t appreciate Turn it Into Love is JUST PLAIN WRONG

Does everyone know about the Japanese cover version? I can’t remember the artist but the production is identical, and it was even released at about the same time, so I wonder what the story is there.

Someone sang it at karaoke once and I was AGOG

Does everyone know about the Japanese cover version? I can’t remember the artist but the production is identical, and it was even released at about the same time, so I wonder what the story is there.

Someone sang it at karaoke once and I was AGOG

This one?

:D

Yeah that’s the one, Wink!

I thought it must have been a planned thing because it was released almost simultaneously with the Kylie version everywhere else. But then, the Kylie version was also released shortly after.

I don’t think it’s like the equivalent of those pre-release Almighty covers of songs we used to get in the download era

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom