Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection

Apparently there are lots of audio glitches on the new compilation, and Put Yourself In My Place is an ACOUSTIC version.

Sorry Kylie. *closes purse*

I've just seen that her Glastonbury performance seems to be getting a two-hour timeslot on BBC1 on Sunday, pretty good going!

Audio glitches? As in bad mastering, bad sources? Do tell...

Well apparently there are audible "crackles" in Breathe. On iTunes, Put Yourself In My Place is a live acoustic version, but on other stores it's a radio mix. Hopefully the CD will be flaw and live-song free!

It’s just issues with the streaming. Spotify links all the tracks on the first CD to the parent album. The CD is apparently fine.

993ae052145db41073d062a361eca420.jpg

Alistair Norbury, president, repertoire & marketing at BMG UK, has spoken to Music Week about the potential Glastonbury effect for Kylie Minogue.

The singer releases a new greatest hits, Step Back In Time, on Friday (June 28). It lands just as Minogue prepares for the coveted Sunday afternoon legends slot at Glastonbury.

“The fact that she’s got the [legends] slot at Glastonbury on the Sunday is a perfect opportunity,” said Norbury. “This is one of our tent pole releases for the year, and the Glastonbury slot couldn’t be a better way to kick off that campaign. This is the platform that everyone wants.”

While Minogue’s career repertoire is with various labels, BMG is well placed to release her first full best of compilation since 2012. As well as being a JV with Warner Music, which controls the Parlophone material, the collection is a collaboration between BMG’s frontline and catalogue teams. It draws on BMG’s control of early catalogue and Minogue’s most recent album, Golden, which peaked at No.1 last April and has sales to date of 147,953, according to the Official Charts Company

“That’s a perfect example of BMG working the frontline label – where we have Kylie signed – with our catalogue label, which has the PWL catalogue and the Deconstruction catalogue,” said Norbury “So we’re able to put together the Kylie best of. While we have licensed in other material, the Parlophone repertoire, this is about catalogue and frontline working together – and publishing, too, because we publish on a lot of material on that album, either via Kylie or co-writers.”

Norbury described the physical edition as “spectacular”.

“We’ve got very high hopes and [the album] will go all the way through to Christmas,” he said.

Commenting on the campaign, Peter Stack, EVP, global catalogue recordings, added: “We have been working on this for a year. And there is a lot more to come.”

The album also features a new track, New York City.

It's not *that* spectacular.

But it is very well timed - Glasto and payday weekend (for most) makes today an excellent release date.

She already appears to have confirmed a Christmas repackaged edition...

I’m not sure how they can stretch this out until Christmas given we’ve already heard the only new song on the album. Unless, as you say, they reissue it.

Of what? This or "Golden"?

This. Popjustice (so, it must be true) seem to think a festive reissue will include a re-recorded version of Step Back In Time - which she’s supposedly confirmed is planned or already exists.

I'll need a bit more than a Step Back In Time re-record to get my gusset moistening.

You know, like What Do I Have To Do with sleigh bells at least.

This. Popjustice (so, it must be true) seem to think a festive reissue will include a re-recorded version of Step Back In Time - which she’s supposedly confirmed is planned or already exists.

I'll need a bit more than a Step Back In Time re-record to get my gusset moistening.

You know, like What Do I Have To Do with sleigh bells at least.

How about she re-records a whole album? "Impossible Christmas"? "Reindeer Of Love"? "Kiss Me Once Under The Mistletoe (Twice Would Be Sexual Assault)"?

So does anyone know about this Glastonbury business- will I be able to watch the whole thing afterwards on iPlayer? At the moment, I can't seem to see things other than what's currently live...

Last year I think all the major acts had unedited sets on iplayer. I can't see them reducing the content there.

What I want to know, is, if like advertised she is showing on BBC1 at 6pm, will we be able to watch her live on the red button at 3.45

Just popping this GH on. It really is an almost fantasy GH.

If I could I'd drop

Kids
2 Hearts
Celebration

and replace with:

Turn It Into Love
Into the Blue
Skirt

Last edited:
Because I'm 100% bored and sober, here are her Spotify listening figures (in millions) - these mixes only - I'm not that bored.

Can't Get You Out Of My Head (114.9)
Spinning Around (10.7)
Love At First Sight (15.4)
Dancing (22.3)
In Your Eyes (16.0)
Slow (6.9)
All The Lovers (20.1)
I Believe In You (5.6)
In My Arms (8.1)
On A Night Like This(6.8)
Your Disco Needs You (2.8)
Please Stay (0.8)
2 Hearts (3.6)
Breathe (0.5)
Red Blooded Woman (4.8)
The One (3.0)
Come Into My World (5.8)
Wow (6.6)
Get Outta My Way (23.0)
Timebomb (9.1)
Kids (with Robbie Williams) (5.5)
Stop Me From Falling (7.2)
Step Back In Time (0.6)
Better The Devil You Know (3.4)
Hand On Your Heart (2.0)
Wouldn't Change A Thing (0.5)
Shocked (0.4)
Especially For You (with Jason Donovan) (2.9)
I Should Be So Lucky (5.0)
Celebration (0.9)
The Loco-Motion (7.3)
Give Me Just A Little More Time (0.8)
Never Too Late (1.0)
Got To Be Certain (0.5)
Tears On My Pillow (0.8)
Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi (0.5)
What Kind Of Fool (Heard All That Before) (0.1)
What Do I Have To Do? (0.2)
Confide In Me (2.1)
Put Yourself In My Place (0.4)
Where The Wild Roses Grow (with Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds) (24.2)
New York City (1.0)

Last edited:
'Get Outta My Way' is the big surprise for me - presumably related to its use in Alesso's 'Cool'?

Are the tracklistings different on the deluxe CD and the normal one? I've just checked in Fopp and the posh one has 41 songs and the non-posh one has 42. o_O O_o o.O O.o

Apparently (if I understood this right) both editions have the same number of tracks but one doesn’t have ‘New York City’ listed.

Nah- Breathe is only on the deluxe and they move New York City to disc two.

I have Breathe as Track 18 Disc Two and New York City as Track 22, Disc One on this here non-deluxe copy...

Spotify seems to have resolved the Put Yourseld In My Place issue.

Are we anticipating #1 as a possibility, or do I need to lower my expectations?

I'm not sure who else is out this week, or who else may have a better Glastonbury effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom