SURPRISE MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTEN - BJORK - DEBUT - 8PM SUNDAY 03/05

Get your eggs out, it's Venus As A Boy :disco: The instrumentation on this was always so fascinating to me, it sounded properly ALIEN.
Yeah, I don't even know what the non string instruments on this are. I was thinking that the first two songs sound a little more conventional now than they did in 1993 whereas this sounds less, if anything.

Reactions: COB
Corinne Bailey Rae does a lovely rendition of Venus as a Boy if you're not totally allergic to a whiff of the coffee table.

Of my various musical loves I've tried to introduce into my relationship, I've not really tried Björk yet and I think it would probably be a step too far, sadly :(

I've always wondered if there was a reason for this being a live recording, other than for a bit of fun.

This is a seriously out-there move..."...More To Life..." is a great song but doing this musique concrete thing with it was a really brave and curious decision. It betrays a lack of commercial pressure, something from which she benefitted massively.

Do we know if was actually in a club toilet (including chewing gum?)

I've never read up on anything about it.

I've always wondered if there was a reason for this being a live recording, other than for a bit of fun.

It's classic arty/experimental behaviour really - making the piece site-specific. She's a very well-read and clever artist.

Reactions: COB
It does seem more like an in joke more than anything else. It's not as if it's got Sophie Amogbokpa on BVs to validate this gimmicky claim.

Note this is side one of her first album - absolutely no barriers at all; the whole thing being assembled on a dream-logic entirely of her own.

"Big Time Sensuality" - my memory tells me that this was the one that got the sales really flowing. Still super funky.

I remember enjoying a lot of radio DJs struggling with her name - Richard Skinner pronounced it "B-York" as if he'd received a letter addressed to "B. York, BBC Radio 1, London".

It's so appealingly gentle - "banger" becomes the wrong word..."tickler" has the wrong associations...

I know she was established before etc, but the idea of an artist (particularly a woman) putting out something so sonically interesting as their first album and having it be a success is just too wonderful for words.

I don't remember hearing this before. It's a delightful chill out track when juxtaposed with the energy of Big Time Sensuality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom