SURPRISE MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTEN - BJORK - DEBUT - 8PM SUNDAY 03/05

"Big Time Sensuality" - my memory tells me that this was the one that got the sales really flowing. Still super funky.

I haven't checked against the release of the singles (may do in a bit), but the album entered at #3 on 17.07.93, then fell out of the top ten (although never out of the chart entirely) until it re-entered 08.01.94. It then stayed top ten until April, bar a couple of weeks.

It seems One Day was remixed and promo'd but wasn't given a commercial release. Makes sense.

I always forget how much I love One Day until I'm actually listening to it. I'm going to blame that on the mellow vibe it has :tongueout:

I haven't checked against the release of the singles (may do in a bit), but the album entered at #3 on 17.07.93, then fell out of the top ten (although never out of the chart entirely) until it re-entered 08.01.94. It then stayed top ten until April, bar a couple of weeks.

That would correspond with the addition of "Play Dead" to the album.

I've never been a great fan of any more than one or two saxes at a time but "Aeroplane" makes a nonsense of that.

That would correspond with the addition of "Play Dead" to the album.

No, you were right earlier. The Play Dead reissue happened in the November apparently, after the single in October. It was the release of Big Time Sensuality in December (and presumably the Great Annual January Chart Flush) which saw it re-enter in January.

No, you were right earlier. The Play Dead reissue happened in the November apparently, after the single in October. It was the release of Big Time Sensuality in December (and presumably the Great Annual January Chart Flush) which saw it re-enter in January.

She did the Brits with PJ Harvey in February as well - and she won an award too, Best International something.

It uses so many ideas from jazz but it absolutely isn't jazz.

I think we all know this should have been her big pop moment and not It's So Quiet:

tumblr_n2z11jIHy71t3tziio1_400.gif

An amazing song for those who don't know.

I couldn't have told you much about "Come To Me" before tonight. My bad. This is excellent.

I’m not actually listening to the album but I AM enjoying the relatively non-histrionic tone of this thread. It’s quite soothing :disco:

The way she wrote lyrics at this point was so special, I can't really put it into words but the way she mixes the literal and the metaphorical is very skillful. I think part of my problem with the more recent albums is that I just can't connect with them lyrically, for whatever reason.

Actually, it was a pretty relentless campaign

June 93 Human Behaviour
July 93 Debut
September 93 Venus As A Boy
October 93 Play Dead
November 93 Debut reissue
December 93 Big Time Sensuality
March 94 Violently Happy

She did the Brits with PJ Harvey in February as well - and she won an award too, Best International something.
Best International Breakthrough and Best International Female. Confirming that Bjork is much better than Mariah Carey.

Again, what an amazing way to describe the euphoria and fear of infatuation.

Actually, it was a pretty relentless campaign

June 93 Human Behaviour
July 93 Debut
September 93 Venus As A Boy
October 93 Play Dead
November 93 Debut reissue
December 93 Big Time Sensuality
March 94 Violently Happy

"Play Dead" was an interesting one - in a way, it wouldn't have fitted to have something come out from a film soundtrack (on another record label!) while establishing her as a solo artist but they made it work.

This was remixed by some many people that I was almost offended not to be asked.

Get with the party happening people, it's clearly her Doop moment as well as several other ones at the same time.

It feels weird to have a single like Big Time Sensuality released in late November and making the Top 20. All the Christmas re entries have entirely put a stop to that kind of thing these days.

...and from a club banger into just her and a brass/woodwind section. No barriers, just artistic courage and conviction.

The Anchor Song always makes me cry - the version on the Homogenic Live DVD in particular, with the string quartet and the alternating English and Icelandic verses, it's actually too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom