The Corrs - "Talk on Corners"

BECAUSE the power is not MINE, I'll just have to LET IT FLAAHAA...

• Total voters
Hasn't it sold something like 3.5 million?

No she's NEVAH gonna be like the ONES BEFORAAHHHHH

Yeah we are SO YOUNG now we are SO YOUNG SO YOUNG NOW

Valentino
I don't think SO
You're watching MTV
While I lay dreaming in an EMPTY BED
And come to THINK of it
I WAS misled
My FLAT
My FOOD
My EVERYTHING and THOUGHTS inside my HEAD

I do love it (Sorry resident moopy blacks!) but as a 10 y.o. gay i didn't know any better SO.

Also I just became aware I won the original as well as the re-release with the single remixes and a nicer cover :shy:

With the exception of "Dreams" I REALLY FUCKING HATE THE CORRS.

1 pt for THAT ALONE

LOVE THIS. Really one of those albums that soundtracked my teens, I think I loved every track at one stage or another. Not in a big rush to listen now these days, but I did sling on the GH when I had a long drive and knew pretty much ALL the words despite the years.

10 Only When I Sleep - great opener, quite EXCITING
07 When He's Not Around - it's all right isn't it? Bit of an odd choice for track 2 with all the obvious singles that come later. Nice little instrumental at the end
09 Dreams - Well I assume MOST people found out about them from this song. It's a lush cover, beautiful strings. It hasn't aged all that well, though, production-wise.

07 What Can I Do - the DOO DOO DOOs are a bit annoying and have not aged well, but it's a solid little single and very memorable all these years later.
10 I Never Loved You Anyway - this one made me want to buy the album. Love the WOMAN SCORNED look. He sounds like a douche. And full marks for the line "You watching MTV while I lie dreaming in an empty bed."
08 So Young - I found this one a bit LIGHT until it became a single and then I got into it. The tune still gets in me head from time to time. I probably appreciate the lyrics more now that I'm older, ironically, in a wistful kind of way. @Soldi make the most of it :emoji_older_man:

“In Blue” is their best album.

giphy.gif

I'm joining you on this @Iguana because I'm well in the mood for some CORRS to kick off this lovely new week.

08 What Can I Do - what a SWEET SONG. the strings swelling gently behind the chorus are so beautiful.

07 Don't Say You Love Me - very '90s soft ballad. The chorus has a bit of a kick to it. I can imagine this being a Shania bonus track.
06 Love Gives Love Takes - Getting a little bit on the dreary side now. It's all right but doesn't pop.
08 Hopelessly Addicted - Much more like it! This is a mini-bop.

I'm joining you on this @Iguana because I'm well in the mood for some CORRS to kick off this lovely new week.

08 What Can I Do - what a SWEET SONG. the strings swelling gently behind the chorus are so beautiful.

Yay now it's a party!

I note we are listening to different editions with a different track order and, I believe, different mixes of the singles. Yours is the international special edition, according to Wikipedia

darling I'm listening to the songs totally out of tracklist order I'm afraid :D I'll just kind of fill in the gaps

09 Only When I Sleep - for some reason this song feels like such a Corrsian outlier to me. It's more 90s rock than most of their stuff. the melodies are heavyweight! Andrea sounds so good and those Celtic influences near the end :disco:
08 What Can I Do

09 Only When I Sleep
07 Dreams - OK somehow I had completely forgotten about their cover of Dreams and had no memory of it having this aggressively house-y vibe. I'll have to disagree with whichever LUNATIC recently claimed it was better than the original (was that @The Anti-Dubsden?) but certainly this one has its own charm. Maybe Andrea's vocal lacks a little PUNCH here though...
08 What Can I Do
09 I Never Loved You Anyway - a total nostalgia trip with that MTV line. "yeah I'm DELIGHTED you're moving away" :disco: YES!!!

06 Paddy McCarthy - Well, it's there and it's actually quite good, but I'm not really here for instrumentals.
08 Intimacy - Such a sweet little song. Very simple but it is effective. A bit like a lullaby.
09 Queen of Hollywood - This is a fabulous, haunting track. Produced by Glen Ballard of Jagged Little Pill fame. I love the slightly whacky ad-libs towards the end.

09 Only When I Sleep
08 When He's Not Around - Was this not a single? It sounds like it could've been. BREEZY.
07 Dreams
08 What Can I Do
09 I Never Loved You Anyway
10 So Young - Such a classic! To me this was always The Corrs' signature hit - I only realised much later it wasn't actually that big :D I feel like it's the prototypical Breathless but in fact a much better song. It's just so lovely and positively radiates laissez faire energy.

Hang on - WHY IS THIS IN THE TOILET?!!

I don't agree that In Blue is the better album. There are some gems on that one, but its bogged down by a) Irresistible and Breathless being the same song, b) the abandonment of all Celticness, c) some horrible clunkers (Say, Rain)

Talk On Corners doesn't have a bad track as far as I'm concerned. If there is a sag, it is mid-album as Iguana's identified until the utterly charming Hopelessly Addicted saves us all.

Only When I Sleep feels like a throwback to Forgiven Not Forgotten before they get on with the job of POP FLUFF. I Never Loved You Anyway is the absolute highlight - like if Alanis Morissette hadn't discovered the thesaurus. They should have re-released this.

10 No Good For Me - This is such a hidden gem. That desperation you feel when you're into someone who is just making your life more miserable, but you're just too besotted to let them go. This is more like the sort of slightly haunted sound that 'Only When I Sleep' promised but then the album veers into something more pop.
09 Little Wing - again, this one is haunting. Such a beautiful melody (although Jimi Hendrix can take credit for that). Quite an off-the-wall choice but it works so well as the closer.

So in summary:

10 Only When I Sleep
07 When He's Not Around
09 Dreams
07 What Can I Do
10 I Never Loved You Anyway
08 So Young
07 Don't Say You Love Me
06 Love Gives Love Takes
08 Hopelessly Addicted
06 Paddy McCarthy
08 Intimacy
09 Queen of Hollywood
10 No Good For Me
09 Little Wing

That comes to an 8.1 average but I'm ROUNDING UP to a 9 because it's overall a very solid 9.

Last edited:
I Never Loved You Anyway is the absolute highlight - like if Alanis Morissette hadn't discovered the thesaurus. They should have re-released this.

This is a great way of describing it! I believe I heard it first in acoustic form on a random local radio showcase they did just before Dreams became big. It really caught my attention, probably because it was a bit Alanis lite in a fun and charming way. It has a lot of personality.

So Young may have felt bigger than it was because it was top of the airplay charts for months. Spotify suggests it ranks a considerable way behind the trinity of Breathless, Runaway and What Can I Do.

Dreams has actually very poor listening stats, which I guess means Dreams is indeed my JARK moment.

Little Wing is beautiful. I agree a lot of it is down the original composition, but the 95 year old part of me also appreciates the "mellow magic" they brought to it (because Lord knows they would never be able to carry off the original pyschadelic vibe).

09 Only When I Sleep
08 When He's Not Around
07 Dreams
08 What Can I Do
10 So Young
06 Don't Say You Love Me
07 Love Gives Love Takes
08 Hopelessly Addicted
08 Paddy McCarthy - the gentle touches of HOUSE behind the celtic arrangements here are such a pleasure :disco:

09 Only When I Sleep
08 When He's Not Around
07 Dreams
08 What Can I Do
10 So Young
06 Don't Say You Love Me
07 Love Gives Love Takes
08 Hopelessly Addicted
08 Paddy McCarthy
06 Intimacy
08 Queen of Hollywood
09 No Good For Me
09 Little Wing - such a lovely closer. they had really mature songwriting right from the start of their career.

I don't think I've listened to this in full in WELL OVER a decade so thanks v much for the monday morning thinspo @Iguana! a great album front to back which makes me all nostalgic.

09 Only When I Sleep
08 When He's Not Around
07 Dreams
08 What Can I Do
10 So Young
06 Don't Say You Love Me
07 Love Gives Love Takes
08 Hopelessly Addicted
08 Paddy McCarthy
06 Intimacy
08 Queen of Hollywood
09 No Good For Me
09 Little Wing - such a lovely closer. they had really mature songwriting right from the start of their career.

I don't think I've listened to this in full in WELL OVER a decade so thanks v much for the monday morning thinspo @Iguana! a great album front to back which makes me all nostalgic.

Thanks for joining in! I'm glad we both enjoyed it :disco:

I have In Blue on now. Unpopular opinion: Give Me A Reason and Irresistible are better than Breathless

I loved In Blue at the time. I can't imagine it's aged brilliantly, but Give Me A Reason is definitely one of their most underrated singles. I think Irresistible was a mistake really. As mentioned, it really was just Breathless with different words.

This is a great way of describing it! I believe I heard it first in acoustic form on a random local radio showcase they did just before Dreams became big. It really caught my attention, probably because it was a bit Alanis lite in a fun and charming way. It has a lot of personality.

I think in honesty it's the only time a Corrs song did display any personality.

I'm half with you on your unpopular opinion - Give Me A Reason is one of their very best, and should have been the second single. I'm not there on Irresistible; even more twee than Breathless.

10 Only When I Sleep
09 When He's Not Around - I like that Andrea TRIES to sound euphoric in the chorus. I have to deduct at least a mark for the remedial lyrics. Every day is bluey grey indeed.
10 Dreams
10 What Can I Do
13 I Never Loved You Anyway
08 So Young
06 Don't Say You Love Me
07 Love Gives Love Takes
10 Hopelessly Addicted
08 Paddy McCarthy
10 Intimacy - a lovely remix of this appeared on Spotify a couple of years back which turned this into an a chill out anthem
08 Queen Of Hollywood
07 No Good For Me
10 Little Wing

OMG love this album
I’m glad Iguana was brave enough to share this (99% aren’t)

Am I losing my mind or was Runaway on this, or was that the blue special edition?

the late 90s really were everything

Runaway was on one of the special editions, I think the tour one.

It was also a b-side to What Can I Do?

In my predominantly Irish Catholic high school, this album was a perennial favourite. I will give it a listen later so I can re-enact the "that was a classic, that was a classic" gif.

Runaway was only on the blue special edition, which I choose to ignore as it also includes a highly watered down remix of I Never Loved You Anyway which I consider VANDALISM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom